Ruairidh or Rory

(80 Posts)
smiler389 Thu 04-Apr-13 17:29:21

Pronounced the same....roar ree
hubby is a Scot, live in England.

thermalsinapril Thu 04-Apr-13 17:58:59

I'd go with Rory as I'd find it too annoying to have everyone spell the other version wrongly.

GW297 Thu 04-Apr-13 18:13:35

Rory

forgetmenots Thu 04-Apr-13 18:14:11

Agree with dancemom. Ruairidh for me but then that's because I'm of the 'I have a dead common name that no one can spell' brigade. Might as well get the damn name right, and if it's roh-ry you want, spell it Rory, if you want the other pronunciation - got to be Ruairidh!

forgetmenots Thu 04-Apr-13 18:16:19

And aye, weebarra. Well said.
English has the most bizarre spelling system of any language I've encountered. Ruairidh for a Gaelic speaker is entirely phonetic.

Catchingmockingbirds Thu 04-Apr-13 18:17:47

I know a couple of Ruairidh's but their names are pronounced roo-ry. I love the spelling but if your dc will be staying down south you should probably go with the second spelling.

Helspopje Thu 04-Apr-13 18:23:10

V surprised by the responses - I wouldn't have dreamed of using the anglicised version!
Then again, i did name my DD2 Eilidh and we have no intention of ever heading back north of the border.

Bunbaker Thu 04-Apr-13 18:26:54

How do you pronounce Eilidh?

BalloonSlayer Thu 04-Apr-13 18:27:38

so how come the dh in Ruairidh is pronounced "ee"

and the dh in Eilidh is pronounced "sh"

if Gaelic is entirely phonetic?

[gonna regret asking this emoticon]

meala Thu 04-Apr-13 18:31:37

Eilidh is not pronounced with a "sh" sound. It would be like Ailie or Ay-ley.

YeahBuddy Thu 04-Apr-13 18:33:23

He is 17 months op and his twin also has a Celtic/gaelic name. I knew about the difference in pronunciation but we just say it how you would say Rory because it flows better with his middle name and I tend to use both names together. Poor kid is going to hate me when he goes to school gringrin

smiler389 Thu 04-Apr-13 18:39:18

Funnel enough we just had the conversation about different pronunciation.....I think I tonight that his Scottish family would say roo .ar ee and English just rory.
Thanks for all of your comma tsunami though!

BabsAndTheRu Thu 04-Apr-13 18:43:17

We have a Ruairidh pronounced the Gaelic way hence the user name, if you want it pronounced as Rory use Rory.

smiler389 Thu 04-Apr-13 18:46:33

I'm not drunk I promise. It's just predictive text and not checking my posts. Slightly hysterical now at those typos.!

Coro Thu 04-Apr-13 18:47:46

I know an adult Rauri. Said as Rory. Perhaps a compromise on spelling but still unusual. People still mess up the spelling though and it frustrates him.

BalloonSlayer Thu 04-Apr-13 19:00:19

Oh I am sorry I thought Eilidh was pronounced Eye-lish.

I used to know a lady with a name pronounced Eilish with that spelling, although even as I type I seem to recall it was a lot more long and complicated than Eilidh.

Sorry to confuse matters blush

forgetmenots Thu 04-Apr-13 19:12:46

No probs balloonslayer, Eilish and Eilidh look very similar and often get confused even up here smile

exoticfruits Thu 04-Apr-13 19:15:03

Rory so that people can spell it.

I also know a Ruaraidh to add to the confusion - pronounced Roo are ee though.

smiler389 Thu 04-Apr-13 20:14:52

Now I am confused. Who knew there were so many spellings and proununciations!? How do we choose?

forgetmenots Thu 04-Apr-13 20:30:50

Same as a lot of names, Ruaraidh/Ruairidh and the simplified Ruaridh are the Gaelic versions and have different spellings, no rights or wrongs in what you pick but are pronounced roo-ar-ee. Rory is 'roar-ee'. Ruairi is the Irish variation of Ruairidh.

(Don't let it out you off either name, think of the amount of ways you can spell Katherine! No one moans about that, and I can assure you names like that are a bigger pain in the arse smile )

If you want to call him Rory - then just spell it Rory would be my advice. If you are in England no-one very few people will be able to pronounce the Gaelic spelling and in Scotland we'll all say Roo are ee,

My OH wanted to spell my son's name Creag as that's the gaelic - I put my foot down and we have Craig. He got his way with our younger son though - I got the name I wanted and he got to spell it. rbf I do prefer the spelling we have now but he never gets his name spelled correctly or pronounced correctly either.

forgetmenots Thu 04-Apr-13 20:42:16

Btw I agree with soontobeslender that if the name you like is Rory, spell it that way, it's only if you're hoping for the 'roo' pronunciation I would stick with the Gaelic name. not a hard liner honest grin

working9while5 Thu 04-Apr-13 20:51:53

I have a Rory who could have been a Ruairi but I would see the latter as Rooree and it would irritate me that it would have to be explained so Rory it is. He is called Roryroo round these parts at nine months though!

Annakin31 Fri 05-Apr-13 00:26:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BabsAndTheRu Fri 05-Apr-13 09:24:14

Agree with Annakin, totally different names.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now