Does Thea have to have to be nickname for something longer or just Thea?

(28 Posts)
emmyloo2 Wed 03-Apr-13 23:43:59

Hi, one of the names of our shortlist is Thea. I am just wondering whiter it needs to be Dorothea or Theodora on the birth certificate? I am a big stickler for full names not nicknames as the "proper" name. I.e. I love Betty but would only ever have Elizabeth on the birth certificate. However, I am not sure I can pull Theodora or Dorothea off, if you know what I mean? For example, I am imagining family asking her name just after she is born and I would feel a little silly saying theodora but would feel quite happy saying Thea. Is it a proper name in it's own right?
Thanks!

melodyme Sun 28-Apr-13 20:20:08

Oh I like it! Bethany would work as well, but Thea is fine on its own, in my opinion.

WeAreEternal Sun 21-Apr-13 08:25:30

I love Thea, I have a friend with a Thea. Lovely name in its own right.
And was on my short list of girls names.

If I remember correctly Thea is of Greek and means goddess and in Greek mythology Thea was the Greek goddess of light, and created the sun and moon.

mamaduckbone Sun 21-Apr-13 08:10:45

My ds goes to school with a Thea and she's a very cool feisty little girl-lovely name.

Joycey29 Sun 21-Apr-13 08:07:32

I'm an Anthea and my niece is just Thea.
Love both - up to you whether Thea feels unfinished...... smile

TheFowlAndThePussycat Sun 21-Apr-13 08:05:34

If I'd have had to choose, I'd have gone with Theodora, as Dora is a lovely name too. However, I heard a woman shouting 'Theeeeooodooooraaaaaah' across a soft play once, and it was pretty hard not to cringe grin.

TheFowlAndThePussycat Sun 21-Apr-13 08:01:38

My Thea is just Thea! We do get Feee-Aaaa but then I have a TH in my name too, so I'm used to it. Plus, our Thea is a bit 'bull-in-a-china-shop' about life, so some family members call her 'no fear'. grin.

For what it's worth it is one of those names that she has grown into, when she was a baby I occasionally thought perhaps we should have gone for Rosie, or Daisy or something (just because she's petite and pink-cheeked and button-nosed) but I'm glad we stuck with Thea, I think it will serve her well as an adult.

DD1 has shortened it to Fifi though, which drives DH nuts, but I think is quite cute.

cece Sun 21-Apr-13 07:52:54

DS1 was going to be Thea.

We were unsure whether to just have Thea or Alethea/Althea but in the end it didn't matter as he was a he.

BrienneOfTarth Sun 21-Apr-13 07:50:14

I know a Thea who is just a Thea so you certainly could do that - but I think it's nice to give a longer name that can be shortened in a number of ways so that a child can choose their own identity later.

I like Anthea, also Cynthia.

massagegirl Sun 21-Apr-13 07:40:28

Thea is what this bump is going to be. Love it. Have had nothing but positive feedback. Name is its own right... We love it!

Theas18 Sat 20-Apr-13 19:35:11

Thea is just Thea here smile

The Feeee yah thing lasted a little while in primary but it blew over fast really.

Rarely a new person will call her taya but that's not often.

LittleDonkin Sat 20-Apr-13 19:29:46

I have always loved the name Thea and I was going to use it for my DD but my sister had a DD 3 months before I gave birth and she called her daughter Sophia which gets shortened to Fia and it sounds too similar sad

squoosh Sat 20-Apr-13 15:12:43

I think Thea is lovely and doesn't need a longer version at all.

Theodora? Eeeeek.

Fifi2406 Sat 20-Apr-13 14:35:01

I like just Thea!

HilaryM Sat 13-Apr-13 21:35:19

We have a Bethea in our family

lockets Thu 04-Apr-13 09:36:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Wishfulmakeupping Thu 04-Apr-13 09:15:00

Yy to Althea also Athea is nice as well

bigbluebump Thu 04-Apr-13 07:35:40

I love Theodora! Agree about the pronunciation of th but think that Teodora sounds just as nice (while Tea sounds a little unfinished).

anonymosity Thu 04-Apr-13 03:57:05

I met a Thea who was just that, and it was I thought a very cool name.

BrittaPie Thu 04-Apr-13 01:59:49

I know an Althea, lovely name and a lovely baby :-)

Only issue is, I have a bit of a lisp and find it hard to say. Now, obviously, some random person not being able to say your childs name is neither here or there, but I have a name myself with a sound in that I struggle to say, and that is very hard to live with.

MidnightMasquerader Thu 04-Apr-13 01:56:02

It is a name in its own right but it does seem very unfinished to me, plus the 'th' sound is notoriously difficult for some non-English speakers. Sort of like getting non-Spanish speakers to say 'Jorge' in anything approaching the right way. grin To me it's more like a sound than a name ... but, it is a name of its own.

I likewise, definitely prefer full names on BC, but this is one you could get away with, like Kate. <makes up arbitrary rules>

BackforGood Thu 04-Apr-13 00:28:29

I don't know the "history" of the name, but I know a 19 yr old and an 8 yr old who are both "just" called Thea.

KittenOfDoom Thu 04-Apr-13 00:12:38

Thea sounds a bit unfinished to me, although I know its derivation. The longer names are all beautiful so I would go for one of those anyway.

mumnosbest Thu 04-Apr-13 00:02:51

I knew a Christothea and Georgiathea. Both greek girls shortened ti Thea. Also Althea but i prefer Thea on its own.

How about Anthea?

Devora Thu 04-Apr-13 00:00:10

Thea is a name in itself. A beautiful name.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now