What goes with Walter?

(39 Posts)
CheshireDing Sun 31-Mar-13 12:08:43

Not sure whether it's a boy or girl but we pretty much have a girls name agreed.

We can't think of anything suitable for a middle name for Walter, our surname begins with a K and DD has the middle name of Arabella so we would like something in keeping/along with same lines.

On our list last time was George Hugo if DD had been a boy but I'm not sure Walter Hugo works?

Any thoughts?

KittenOfDoom Mon 01-Apr-13 01:06:20

I always thought Walter Gabriel was a fantastic name smile

BNmum Sun 31-Mar-13 22:12:33

Theodore Walter would work too

BNmum Sun 31-Mar-13 22:11:21

If you like teddy as nn have you thought about Theodore as full name? The meaning is nice too - gift of god smile

devonsmummy Sun 31-Mar-13 21:44:16

Herbert
Hubert
Hector
Alfred
John
Fraser
Stanley
Thomas

My grandad was Walter Robert

CheshireDing Sun 31-Mar-13 21:22:54

Thanks for your thoughts everyone, seems a name with extreme opinions grin

Yes initials that nearly spelt wanker wouldn't be so good. George is just getting too popular now though. Same with Archie, Charlie, Harry.

I do like Teddy as a nn but am not crazy about Edward as his official name.

Ruprekt Sun 31-Mar-13 19:27:47

Just think it through as a name is a big deal ( i know you know that)

Poppy and Walter.......makes me think of the wimpy one from Dennis the Menace.

Cannot imagine an 8 yr old called Walter or a 15 yr old called Walter......am not sure if I would have dated someone called Walter (shallow)

Poppy and Archie

Poppy and Charlie

Poppy and Harry

Poppy and Ed. smilesmilesmile

Sorry.

ZolaBuddleia Sun 31-Mar-13 19:06:38

Makes me think of walrus.

notimefors Sun 31-Mar-13 15:45:57

I like Walter!

Walter Abraham
Walter Benedict
Walter Ellis
Walter Francis
Walter Frederick
Lots of names go!

BNmum Sun 31-Mar-13 14:45:06

Walter Thomas sounds nice

peppertree Sun 31-Mar-13 14:29:09

walter gabriel
archers fans may recollect him!

lostinindia Sun 31-Mar-13 14:08:33

Walter Teddy

twentythirteen Sun 31-Mar-13 14:08:32

Op, I also think Walter and Walt and very cool names. Like the Walter Thomas suggestion also life your Walter Hugo, the film is only just out, but I'd go for it.

Viviennemary Sun 31-Mar-13 14:03:39

I immediately thought Mitty. But Walter it's just such a dated, dreadful old-fashioned unattractive name. Please think again.

Coconutty Sun 31-Mar-13 14:02:20

I love old style names but am seriously struggling with Walter. Isn't he the drippy kid in the Beano?

Say it as though you are a teacher calling the register and see if you still like it....

Much prefer Wilfred, even Percy would be better.

Walter Peter Paul K..... would be uber cool..... wink

DesertOrchid Sun 31-Mar-13 13:25:49

My great-grandfather was Walter Joseph, and his son was Joseph Walter, so I reckon that goes :-)

Maryz Sun 31-Mar-13 13:25:09

Oh, yes, Walter Arthur Nigel K... would be unfortunate, wouldn't it grin.

I quite like Walt. But I think you would have to use Walt from early on before some child tries out Wally in school and he is stuck with it forever.

Be VERY careful - initials W.K. just leads to Wanker nicknames when he is older. Especially if you put an A or an N in the middle!!!!!!

What is wrong with George, your choice from before?

Its a nice name and I think Walter Hugo goes well. And think Walt is very cool.

DrSeuss Sun 31-Mar-13 13:19:14

Where's?

Zamboni Sun 31-Mar-13 13:19:12

Walter James
Walter Sebastian

For what it is worth, I dont like first name and middle name to have the same number of syllables, so with Walter, I'd go for something with 1 or 3 syllables. But that's just me grin

Jeggie Sun 31-Mar-13 13:17:29

I know a little Walter and he is a very cool dude smile err walter james? Walter John? I would go simple myself.

KittenOfDoom Sun 31-Mar-13 13:15:24

Well I like it, and I just don't understand why people are sneering. It's a fine and noble name.

It is unfortunate that one of its nn's has been used as a derogatory term (but not a really nasty one). However there is an alternative shortening that has no baggage, and there is no need to shorten it anyway. My granddad was always Walter, no one ever called him Wally.

legalalien Sun 31-Mar-13 13:11:20

Walter George? Walter John?

Don't go for anything starting with C.

Fwiw brings to mind Walt Whitman.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now