Verity or Primrose for middle name? Is Primrose too unusual?

(46 Posts)
Namehelpplease Sat 30-Mar-13 22:31:57

Just what the title says really. We're having a DD and are thinking Harriet Verity or Harriet Primrose. Which is nicer? Is Primrose a bit OTT?

Namehelpplease Mon 01-Apr-13 20:41:34

Thanks Trazzle grin

olivertheoctopus Mon 01-Apr-13 20:50:07

Harriet Primrose is beautiful!!!

Namehelpplease Mon 01-Apr-13 20:59:09

Thanks Oliver!

Thewhingingdefective Mon 01-Apr-13 21:16:22

Harriet Primrose sounds lovely.

AmandaPayntedEgg Mon 01-Apr-13 22:29:26

I know you've had loads of opinions, but Primrose is lovely. I fully believe that middle names are for being brave, or outlandish or honouring someone.

I love it as a middle name.

I do love Verity too though.

Namehelpplease Mon 01-Apr-13 22:43:10

Thanks Amanda!!!! It would feel quite brave for me (even though I know it's not totally out there - or even that unusual). I think I still might get a few people having a bit of a giggle but for a middle name I think you're right - you can take a little risk grin Thanks for your input!

AmandaPayntedEgg Mon 01-Apr-13 22:47:29

It's not out there. Flower names were really popular in the past (Victorian times?). Primrose, Rose, Lilac, Hyacinth...

I have soooo many middle names I would love to use.

snuffaluffagus Mon 01-Apr-13 22:56:08

I loved primrose wood mouse is Bramley hedge so think it's a fab choice!

mrsmootoo Mon 01-Apr-13 23:01:10

Primrose is pretty, but as a Verity myself I think it's more unusual and has a bit more about it than just being a flower name. People always remember you and notwithstanding the comments above, I've never met anyone who didn''t like it. Agree with the comments about too many Ts in Harriet Verity though. My DDs are Eleanor and Mirabel.

MamaMimi Tue 02-Apr-13 02:18:20

The only Primrose I think of is Fifi's friend (flowertots)!! That's not a bad connection at all even though she can be a bit snobby grin

It's lovely for a middle name, ie,not used to often but nice to say when it is.

I have a new niece named Harriet (is it becoming more popular?) so I like your choice OP.

cuillereasoupe Tue 02-Apr-13 12:15:08

I think the problem I have with Primrose (other than the Shipman connection) is the "prim". I wouldn't want a prim daughter, I want one that kicks ass. (Though technically I know the "prim" in "primrose" doesn't mean that).

Frogman Tue 02-Apr-13 16:54:16

What a beautiful name Harriet Primrose is.

Namehelpplease Tue 02-Apr-13 17:08:10

Thanks frog smile

cuiller - I'm hoping prim once hitting her teens grin

MadBraLady Tue 02-Apr-13 17:11:27

I really like more unusual middle names smile. Makes a change from being able to date people to a decade by their middle name (mine Emily = 1970s)

CruCru Wed 03-Apr-13 20:48:12

I like both Primrose and Verity. I think Primrose Shipman was innocent - she didn't know what her husband was doing.

It's a middle name - if Harriet doesn't like it, she doesn't have to use it.

Cate29 Fri 05-Apr-13 14:43:34

Primrose is gorgeous, so pretty! Have loved it since watching The Darling Buds of May back in the 90s. The Hunger Games association is also cool.

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Fri 05-Apr-13 15:45:27

Another fan of Harriet here and either Primrose or Verity would go well, perhaps Primrose has the edge.

cuillereasoupe Sat 06-Apr-13 12:33:24

There's no suggestion that Primrose Shipman was guilty of anything. I just remember her from the trial as being really downtrodden and mousy.

pilates Mon 08-Apr-13 13:37:51

Love Primrose, go for it!!!!

The only thing that springs to mind is what a pretty name.

EspressoMonkey Mon 08-Apr-13 18:43:46

My daughter is Primrose (Primrose Georgiana Valentina) so i definatly think you should go with Primrose. Not had one Primrose Shipman association but a few Primrose, from Darling Buds of May, associations, and she was a stunner.

A few people raised their eyebrows when she was born but now i only seem to get great comments. Go for it!

Posterofapombear Mon 08-Apr-13 18:46:06

Primrose is lovely. Just lovely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now