Names to go with Smith

(8 Posts)
SleepyCatOnTheMat Mon 01-Apr-13 11:46:45

The best surname, Candlestick?! Smith is a total nightmare of a surname. Any names ending in an 'ss' or a 'th' sound are out for a start (e.g. Faith Smith, Frances Smith, James Smith). In fact any name with a 'th' in it is a no-no - Theo Smith, as pointed out by Pugoff, Martha Smith. It's clunky and ugly, lacking the softness of the equally common Jones. It sounds like a thud on the carpet. Yes, it's my surname and I hate it! There are so many nice baby names I've had to give up on because of it e.g. Beatrice and Tobias.

If you like Sam, OP, I would use Samuel as the official name and Sam as a nickname - the three syllables offer a contrast to the one syllable of Smith. Otherwise I like all of your names apart from Ifor - not sure about that one as I think it's the name of a charity. But Liam and Brandon are not unusual names.

bigbluebump Mon 01-Apr-13 09:16:03

There are bound to thousands of other Sam Smiths or Finn Smiths! Or John, Thomas or Oliver Smith! I would avoid any top 100 name on that basis.
I like your suggestions or how about
Quentin Smith
Ronan Smith
Tristan Smith

Booyhoo Sun 31-Mar-13 06:55:47

out of your list i like Ifor best.

pugoff Sun 31-Mar-13 05:48:42

I have this quandry and like Brynley out of yr choice.

I love Theo, but are there too many 'th' sounds do you think?

OkayHazel Sun 31-Mar-13 00:38:41

There are a million Sam and Liam Smiths. I know 4 Liam Smiths.

I love Auryn.

CandlestickOlder Sat 30-Mar-13 17:39:30

You have the best surname! Would go with anything!

TotallyEasterEggFlipped Sat 30-Mar-13 17:38:53

I like all your names. I'd go for something a little unusual, but not crazy. So, avoid John, Peter, Joseph and go for something like Brynley or Liam.

smallsmith Sat 30-Mar-13 17:34:11

With a surname of Smith, how unusual do we go? Husband likes more safe/ traditional names whereas I like Welsh names or slightly less common ones.

He likes:
Sam
Finlay James

I prefer:
Brynley
Auryn
Ifor
Brandon
Liam

Any thoughts or suggestions much appreciated (in as nice a way as you can!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now