Carter?

(40 Posts)
ditsydoll Sat 30-Mar-13 08:42:18

For a boy?
I like Ethan but Dh has decided he likes carter and I'm not sure if I love it or hate it.
Any opinions?

Its a nice strong name I think. And also people throughout the ages have named their children traditionally last names! Its not something new.

simplesusan Sat 30-Mar-13 17:29:18

It's not to my taste. I do know a Carter though.

yep totally agree Unstoppable Sex Machine.....brilliant band thoughgrin

Fuckity Sat 30-Mar-13 17:34:26

What is it with people who use surnames as first names?? Carter is a surname.

It's traditional in Scotland to give the first born son his mothers maiden name as his first name. Second born sons are often given the maiden name of other leading women in the family.
It's a very long tradition. How do you think Scottish surnames such as Cameron and Stuart came to be first names that are so widely used?

hellonewworld Sat 30-Mar-13 17:37:28

I love it! It is not too popular either. I think of the film 'coach carter' when I hear it, I would go for it.

gymboywalton Sat 30-Mar-13 17:40:14

carter the unstoppable sex machine is what came to my mind instantly

MrsJohnDeere Sat 30-Mar-13 17:40:44

Not my cup of tea. Know one in RL and he is very naughty which puts me off!

onedev Sat 30-Mar-13 21:42:34

Am I the only one who had never heard of Carter The Unstoppable Sex Machine?? Was that a TV show? Ad? I still think its a fab name!

I have no clue who 'Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine' is either onedev. I just asked DP (if it's a comic/cult reference he'd know it) and he gave me The Look that tells me I'm asking stupid questions before pointing at himself hmm

cookielove Sat 30-Mar-13 21:53:28

ConfusedPixie i have no idea who it is confused

MrsJohnDeere Sat 30-Mar-13 21:55:44
onedev Sat 30-Mar-13 21:57:34

Is that a band??

Jacksterbear Sat 30-Mar-13 22:20:14

Yes, British indie band in late 80s/early 90s. Kind of a forerunner to Pulp, Blur, Oasis, et al, but much, much cooler.

ditsydoll Sun 31-Mar-13 09:34:00

Very mixed reviews but you can't please everyone smile
Never heard of carter usm myself and I doubt any of dcs generation would so that doesn't put me off.
I will more than likely use it as a middle name but you never know ds might come out just looking like a Carter ;)
Iv still got 8 weeks left so we shall see

Whowouldfardelsbear Sun 31-Mar-13 09:53:09

Ha! Definitely Carter USM. coincidently I was listening to 30 Something in the car yesterday grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now