Jess for a boy?

(147 Posts)
OkayHazel Sat 30-Mar-13 02:02:16

I really like Jess and Jesse, but are there any longer names that these two derive from?

Feel like I just don't know enough about this name!

weeper Sun 31-Mar-13 19:55:45

I know an adult male Jess. I think it's a lovely name and not that 'girly' for some reason?

I think he did get teased a bit about it in school, as you might expect (most kids will get teased about something), but it's certainly not held him back!

AberdeenAngusina Sun 31-Mar-13 20:35:11

It wouldn't be a good name here (north Scotland) because a "big Jessie" is a boy who's scared of something.

KittenOfDoom Mon 01-Apr-13 01:01:06

1. Jesse is NOT an American name.
Jesse has enjoyed some popularity in the USA, perhaps more frequently than in the UK. Biblical names seem to be more consistently favoured in the USA and less subject to fashion (this is just my own impression).

2. Jesse is NOT a unisex name.
While Jessie is a girl's name (sometimes but not always a diminutive of Jessica), it is not the same name as Jesse.

MajaBiene Mon 01-Apr-13 01:11:35

"Big Jessie" isn't really a term in common usage, at least not where I am from! I doubt most children would be aware of it/know what it means.

I know an adult and a child Jesse - neither has been teased for the name.

PipkinsPal Mon 01-Apr-13 09:37:57

Thank you Kitten. Hazel - I wasn't being negative about the name of Jesse being of Gypsy/Traveller origin I was just stating a fact that he is the only person I know who is called Jesse.

seeker Mon 01-Apr-13 09:45:58

"While Jessie is a girl's name (sometimes but not always a diminutive of Jessica), it is not the same name as Jesse."

But it's pronounced the same. So to another child it amounts to the same name. I am just amazed that anyone would deliberately choose a name out of the millions of names available that might make their child's life more difficult. It might not, obviously. But it might. So why risk it?

noddyholder Mon 01-Apr-13 09:50:23

Fgs risk it?

seeker Mon 01-Apr-13 09:51:02

Noddy- will you stop saying cryptic things??

lockets Mon 01-Apr-13 11:11:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

noddyholder Mon 01-Apr-13 11:35:06

My name is a dual sex name too have never thought of it until now! No one else has ever mentioned it either grin

I would avoid Jesse in Scotland because of big Jesse. But if you aren't in Scotland I can't see a problem.

seeker Mon 01-Apr-13 11:44:44

No. Because Frances/is is well known to be a unisex name. Jesse sounds like a name which is almost always a girl's name.

noddyholder Mon 01-Apr-13 11:59:48

Oh right so if its well known its ok. Most people won't assume a girl if they see jesse I can assure.Ds is phsl at this suburban mothers worrying about what people call their kids. he has a point

Coconutty Mon 01-Apr-13 12:03:03

There's a 13YO Jesse in DS2's class, never been teased.

I like it.

seeker Mon 01-Apr-13 12:03:49

<sigh>

Most people will assume girl if they hear "Jessie"

Why are you being so rude, by the way?

noddyholder Mon 01-Apr-13 12:05:34

Where have I been rude?

noddyholder Mon 01-Apr-13 12:06:39

You are speaking for yourself not 'most people'. I am speaking from experience as my son has that name and we have never encountered any of these things

seeker Mon 01-Apr-13 12:13:14

I am delighted that your son has never experienced any teasing.

If we're talking personally, I asked my own son about this and he said that a Jesse turning up in his class at school would definitely get teased. As he said, "It shouldn't happen but it would"

Bowlersarm Mon 01-Apr-13 12:16:10

Just thought of a Jesse in the public eye. Jesse Wood, son of Ronnie, and boyfriend of Fearne Cotton. That should help the cause of boy Jesse's shouldn't it?

noddyholder Mon 01-Apr-13 12:17:17

Sounds like a great school Right I am off this thread is everything I hate about MN Happy easter

noddyholder Mon 01-Apr-13 12:17:50

My brother used to babysit him bowler many moons ago I had forgotten him

Jesse is quite cool now for a boy even here in the UK - Breaking Bad anyone?

seeker Mon 01-Apr-13 12:20:45

"Sounds like a great school Right I am off this thread is everything I hate about MN Happy easter"

What a deeply, deeply stupid post.

noddyholder Mon 01-Apr-13 12:22:11

The posh lady is calling me stupid Help!

seeker Mon 01-Apr-13 12:23:29

I didn't say you were stupid. I said that was a stupid post. Very different things.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now