Jess for a boy?

(147 Posts)
OkayHazel Sat 30-Mar-13 02:02:16

I really like Jess and Jesse, but are there any longer names that these two derive from?

Feel like I just don't know enough about this name!

OkayHazel Sat 30-Mar-13 13:37:00

I'm not pregnant. I was just wondering if there was more to this name.

Very interesting about Jessamy, sounds male to my ear - and was the kind of answer I was looking for. Like lots of names they change gender over time. Going off to Google that one.

OkayHazel Sat 30-Mar-13 13:43:51

A quick Google has also produced-

Jesimiel
Jestin
Jessop
Jessup

As longer versions of Jess for a boy. I don't like any of them. Any thoughts? Knowledge of meanings?

BackforGood Sat 30-Mar-13 13:49:12

What Seeker said.

"You big Jesse" is an insult around hear ~ why would you do that to your child ?

OkayHazel Sat 30-Mar-13 13:53:16

BackforGood

For two reasons - I am from nowhere from where that insult is. And have never encountered it.

I am not pregnant, and am naming nothing.

BackforGood Sat 30-Mar-13 14:03:09

ok - confused by the fact you are asking the question on the babynames thread.....

You've asked for people's opinions. People are letting you know that in some areas it's a name calling word. Now you know that, which you didn't before. Would you still call your mythical child it, or would you assume they are always only going to mix with people who have never heard it used in that way ? Genuine question.

OkayHazel Sat 30-Mar-13 14:06:41

I asked about a baby name on a baby names thread for research purposes.

I'm glad I have people's opinions. I indeed have learned something new.

I would not call my 'mythical' child this name. Whilst I like it (on Postman Pat's cat, for example) it is too 'American' for my taste.

And in answer to, hypothetically, would I use a name that a minority of people have a different association with, when I like oceans away - yes I probably would still use it if I loved it.

KittenOfDoom Sat 30-Mar-13 15:47:04

Jesse is a Biblical name. Perhaps this is not as well-known as I thought it must be.

Jesse was the father of David. so is a significant person. Some cathedrals and churches have stained glass windows or other representations showing the "Tree of Jesse" which depicts the ancestry of Jesus through the line of King David.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tree_of_Jesse

pinkpip100 Sat 30-Mar-13 16:15:05

Jesse Jackson, Jesse Owens, Jesse Metcalfe, Jesse Carmichael...there are actually quite a few other famous Jesse's apart from Jesse James. Its also my ds2's middle name (and the name of his great grandad). I think its pretty cool, but I guess I'm biased. It seems that there are so many different names around now that its much more unusual for kids to be teased about having an 'unusual' one, so in my view there's no point stressing about whether it might mean something else somewhere else. If you like it, go for it.

I really like the name and agree that the person is bullied not the name. If they want to bully someone they will pick holes in anything.

Sometimes the baby names section here on mumsnet brings out the worst types of posters. No-where else (other than AIBU) do you hear such opinionated and nasty comments to posters.

seeker Sat 30-Mar-13 17:48:24

I don't think children are bullied because of their names. But I think that giving a child a name that means even the nicest of his peers will suppress a giggle is just unkind and unnecessary. My ds is, as nearly teenage boys go, a kind and empathetic soul, and he hated the fact that he had to work so hard not to giggle over a classmate called Minnie. He would feel the same about a Jesse. And most of his peers would not ever try.

lockets Sat 30-Mar-13 17:55:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PandaNot Sat 30-Mar-13 17:59:30

I know a wonderful 17 year old Jesse. No teasing about his name.

noddyholder Sat 30-Mar-13 17:59:58

My ds is Jesse I love it and he was the only one in his school although I think there are a few now but he is 18.

noddyholder Sat 30-Mar-13 18:01:15

Nio one has ever said anything negative to ds what a strange thing to say!

Bowlersarm Sat 30-Mar-13 18:12:47

Hmmm this is a tricky one because it should be perfectly acceptable to call your son a name you like, but this one may give him problems. It doesn't help that Jessica is so popular for girls and Jesse isn't very popular for boys. Is there another name you like as much?

Children do get teased about their name. They may get teased about other things but I think you're laying down a gauntlet (for him) as soon as he's born.

Jesse James was a macho individual but not sure children now would know he is is. I can't think of any other famous Jesses.

CandyCrushed Sat 30-Mar-13 18:17:43

I like it but I wouldn't use it as it is usually a girls name. I love the name Jan for a boy but didnt use it for the same reason..

OkayHazel Sat 30-Mar-13 18:23:17

noddyholder I am equally shocked. Jessie/Jesse to me is a unisex name. Should female Alex's expect the same teasing?

OkayHazel Sat 30-Mar-13 18:24:25

Bowlersarm I can't think of any other famous Jesses.

There are soooooooooo many:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_named_Jesse

SwedishEdith Sat 30-Mar-13 18:26:01

Jesse is my favourite boys name. I want one.

noddyholder Sat 30-Mar-13 18:30:37

Why does there have to be a famous one to validate it? hmm Mn is very conservative when it comes to names though as I have seen in the past never encountered in RL. People very concerned that if their dc becomes a judge he/she won't be taken seriously unless named after one of the royals

Bowlersarm Sat 30-Mar-13 18:42:53

Ooh i should have remembered Jesse Ryder given my user name as I do know who he is okay. And of course noddy famous people don't have to validate a name. It is just when it is also vying with a very popular girls name it would help

noddyholder Sat 30-Mar-13 18:45:36

It isn't vying with a girls name though. IME.

Bowlersarm Sat 30-Mar-13 18:49:53

That's non-arguable. It comes down to 'I think it does' and 'I think it doesn't'. OP needs to take a view on it

noddyholder Sat 30-Mar-13 18:51:03

Well I am arguing so it is arguable grin

Bowlersarm Sat 30-Mar-13 18:53:02

Oh fair enough noddy we can go on all night. For what it's worth I like it, and am glad your DS does

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now