Cari

(11 Posts)
sparklingsea Sat 06-Apr-13 12:21:58

Yes Ela does mean hazel colour in Turkish. I know quite a few people here called Ela.

Malkofish Thu 04-Apr-13 16:22:28

I can't help with the questions sorry, but I think it's a lovely name!

Hedwig3 Wed 03-Apr-13 14:43:34

I went to school with a girl called Cari, it was pronounced Car (ie automobile) ee
We called her brm brm (affectionately)

LittleMonster100 Wed 03-Apr-13 13:40:10

thanks sparkling i do like Ela but MIL insits its not a turkish...i've gogled and it says it is a means hazel.

can you confirm? thanks.

sparklingsea Sat 30-Mar-13 17:28:42

In Turkish the C is pronounced 'j', it is not a name I have heard before (Live in Turkey with Turkish DH) but I would pronounce that Jari. There are so many lovely Turkish girls names, I like Irem, Ayla (pronounced as Isla), Sevil, Sevda, Leyla, Emel, Selen, Ela, Melisa, Melek, Melis could go on and on....

smallsmith Sat 30-Mar-13 17:18:28

I like Cari, or how about Callie or Callia? (means beautiful apparently!)

jkklpu Fri 29-Mar-13 19:08:04

Turkish boy's name "Cem" is pronounced like English "gem". Sorry, don't know any more. If your dp doesn't speak Turkish, isn't it a bit odd to use a Turkish name that neither of you knows?

LittleMonster100 Fri 29-Mar-13 19:06:11

He's never heard of it before and doesnt speak the language so trying to find someone who can prnouceit.really like the pronouncation carry/carrie but think it could be pronounced jari or chari which I dont like.

Don't know, sorry - but I really like Carrie.

nenevomito Fri 29-Mar-13 16:29:55

If you're in the UK then people will pronounce it Carrie. Alternative is Car-ry - either way its a nice name.

No idea about the Turkish pronunciation - could your partner not tell you?

LittleMonster100 Fri 29-Mar-13 13:03:45

I'm English and my partner is originally from turkey. Our surnames are hyphenated so a mixture of both and expecting our first baby a girl and trying to look for names that would fit well in both cultures.

Found the name Cari - is this pronounced like carrie? Ae there any turkish speakers out there that can help?

Any other suggestions welcome.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now