Amelie or Madeleine?

(51 Posts)
Pontouf Fri 29-Mar-13 11:52:46

I am due to give birth to my daughter in 8 days and we have short listed to Amelie or Madeleine as a first name with Rose Margaret (both family names) as middle names. I am part frnch and so wanted our name choice to reflect this. My DS has a very English name. Amelie has been the front runner since we were choosing a name for DS but we've always loved Madeleine too and now I we are so close I am conflicted. What do people think? It will definitely be one of these so please be kind!

LeMousquetaireAnonyme Fri 29-Mar-13 15:50:52

I don't like either, but Amelie goes better with the middle names.

Sparklingbrook Fri 29-Mar-13 15:56:40

Both are lovely names, but like others have said I immediately thought of the McCanns. Maybe Amelie less so on it's own.

MrsMarkWebberinmydreams Fri 29-Mar-13 16:27:19

Just want to add to my previous post. I have a DD called Madeleine who is 8 and not once has the McCann connection ever been mentioned so don't let that put you off.

forgetmenots Fri 29-Mar-13 17:10:26

I prefer Madeleine and (sadly for her loved ones) the McCann connection will not be remembered strongly enough to affect the name. It's a lovely name though and it's a good thing that it will be given to lots of other little girls.

Amelie is lovely but won't be pronounced in the French way by most.

Sparklingbrook Fri 29-Mar-13 17:12:37

It's only that Amelie and Madeleine were together MrsM.

PuppyMonkey Fri 29-Mar-13 17:15:32

I have a 16 year old Madeleine and not once has anyone mentioned McCann.

She shortens to Maddie which j also like.

She's named in honour of Maddie from Moonlighting.

MarthasHarbour Fri 29-Mar-13 17:16:44

Both names together immediately made me think of McCann.

However I have a friend with a Madeleine and it never crosses my mind. I prefer Amelie but know it is a bit popular

Moominsarehippos Fri 29-Mar-13 17:21:07

Madeleine - but I love madeleine cakes! Amelie is a bit dated these days (since the film). Maddy is a cute nn.

DizzyHoneyBee Fri 29-Mar-13 17:24:55

I like both names but my first thought with the name Madeline is the McCanns.

Iamcountingto3 Fri 29-Mar-13 17:27:31

I'd go Madeleine - agree that Amelie is very 'of the moment' - there are so many Amelie/Amelia type names around at the mo = Madeleine feels more classic to me, and I prefer the shortenings too.

I know a little Madeleine, and the Mcgann connection hasn't been one I've thought of/that has ever caused a problem.

twentythirteen Fri 29-Mar-13 17:30:56

the McCan connection was not my first thought. It was of the lovely little french cakes, and of a friends child. It's a lovely name!

trixymalixy Fri 29-Mar-13 17:41:51

Madeleine. I am biased though as it is my DD's name although we spell it Madeline after my DH's grandma who has German roots.

Nobody ever mentions the Mccanns, although the time I lost her in a shop I did think of them.

GraceSpeaker Fri 29-Mar-13 18:33:37

Another vote for Madeleine. Amelie seems to be the name of every newborn girl at the moment (emoticon for hyperbole, anyone?). I had a look at when it became popular once: yep, right about when the film came out.

MidnightMasquerader Fri 29-Mar-13 18:57:30

Madeleine, no contest.

Amelie is way to faddy.

Madeleine Rose Margaret sounds magnificent!

purples Fri 29-Mar-13 19:38:25

They are both lovely names, I find it hard to choose between them, but Amelie would just have the edge for me. I haven't come across a Amelie recently. (I know some people have but it may depend on where you are in the country as to where it is more popular.
)
One thing to bear in mind is the abbreviated form it is likely to take (especially when your daughter is at school)
How do you feel about Maddie or Amy or similar abreviations?? as this may be what her school friends end up calling her.

I think Amelie Rose Margaret is beautiful combination.

TheCraicDealer Fri 29-Mar-13 19:50:36

They both made me think of the MM case tbh. All the posters who say that no-one has ever mentioned the negative connotations, well, not too many people would be that rude or insensitive to verbalise their thoughts when the child or parent is in front of them. However, the associations will fade with time so don't pay too much attention if you love the names. Madeleine is a bit less used than Amelie.

Shlurpbop Fri 29-Mar-13 19:55:42

Amelie smile

Bue Fri 29-Mar-13 20:26:12

I think Madeleine, it is less faddy and trendy than Amelie. Just don't ever use both together! Sadly, it screams McCann.

CharlieBoo Fri 29-Mar-13 20:49:45

I know two beautiful little Madeline's.. One is 6 and the other is 3. I think it's a gorgeous name and don't really think about the connection.

Amelie is very meh to me.

simplesusan Fri 29-Mar-13 21:23:44

I think they are both nice.
Does one go better with your surname?

Timetoask Fri 29-Mar-13 21:28:46

I know too many Maddies!
I think Amelie sounds really sweet, I think it's lovely.

NotTreadingGrapes Sat 30-Mar-13 09:45:02

I always try saying Amelie with a very strong black country accent. That usually does it for me. grin

Moominsarehippos Sat 30-Mar-13 10:17:49

Madeleine - you think of little cakes or the french schoolgirl
Amelie - you think of that bonkers pic of the actress with a spoon on her nose.

CarriMarie Sat 30-Mar-13 10:51:29

Amelie is really pretty and goes best with your middle names.

At my local primary there are no Amelies, but 2 Emilys, 1 Amelia and 1 Maddy.

MERLYPUSS Sat 30-Mar-13 18:46:28

I prefer Amelie.
NN Amy or Millie and you also get to use the full name. I dont lilke the shortened Maddie.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now