Amelie or Madeleine?

(51 Posts)
Pontouf Fri 29-Mar-13 11:52:46

I am due to give birth to my daughter in 8 days and we have short listed to Amelie or Madeleine as a first name with Rose Margaret (both family names) as middle names. I am part frnch and so wanted our name choice to reflect this. My DS has a very English name. Amelie has been the front runner since we were choosing a name for DS but we've always loved Madeleine too and now I we are so close I am conflicted. What do people think? It will definitely be one of these so please be kind!

Rtfairy Fri 29-Mar-13 11:54:38

Both are very pretty but prefer Amelie. Amelie Rose Margaret sounds lovely smile

DisappointedHorse Fri 29-Mar-13 11:59:58

I love Madeleine.

Amelie is pretty but incredibly popular around here if that bothers you. Madeleine is a strong name.

Still18atheart Fri 29-Mar-13 12:02:58

I like both names but prefer Madeleine.

KittenOfDoom Fri 29-Mar-13 12:26:47

McCann

MumOfTheMoos Fri 29-Mar-13 12:28:59

Madeleine - it's been one of my favourite girls names for years.

PoppyWearer Fri 29-Mar-13 12:30:49

Madeleine is a beautiful name [blatantly biased emoticon]. I have only once ever encountered the McCann association and personally never think about it.

Amelie is lovely too but I know lots of little baby Amelies and have only ever encountered one or two Madeleines.

PoppyWearer Fri 29-Mar-13 12:32:06

Oh and if we are talking name associations, how about Madeleine Albright, former U.S. Secretary of State. A wonderful role model for any girl.

Welovegrapes Fri 29-Mar-13 12:35:39

Amelie very popular - I know lots here.

Madeleine just makes me think of MM.
I prefer the Madeline spelling.

Welovegrapes Fri 29-Mar-13 12:36:30

M Albright is already 75, so won't sadly be around to be a role model.

MrsMarkWebberinmydreams Fri 29-Mar-13 12:37:56

Definitely Madeleine. Such a strong name. My favourite girls name ever!

thegreylady Fri 29-Mar-13 12:38:07

They are both the names of the McCann girls.
Of the two I prefer Madeleine [with that spelling]

zippey Fri 29-Mar-13 12:39:41

Both names are ok

thegreylady Fri 29-Mar-13 12:40:30

I have a beautiful dgd named Madeleine.She is exactly the same age as MM would have been [same month] and is a beautiful blue eyed blonde.The McCann connection has never come up with anyone.

Floralnomad Fri 29-Mar-13 12:40:31

Both lovely names and I think the connection is because the choice is the 2 names . If you'd said Madeleine and Sophie the connection would have been less likely . Amelie is very popular at the moment but goes better with your middle names .

HesterShaw Fri 29-Mar-13 12:46:13

Both lovely smile

ZolaBuddleia Fri 29-Mar-13 12:57:33

Madeleine. Amelie feels very 'of a time' to me because before the film I never met one!

NotTreadingGrapes Fri 29-Mar-13 12:59:00

I love Madeleine. I agree with others that Amelie sadly is a fad in the UK. (and if you are in the UK its pronunciation will be mauled)

LittleMonster100 Fri 29-Mar-13 13:00:56

I prefer Amelie.

CruCru Fri 29-Mar-13 13:22:59

I love Madeleine. Amelie has become so popular it is almost a cliché. Also, I think the number 1 name in the UK is or was Amelia; almost the same name.

nectarini1983 Fri 29-Mar-13 13:51:32

Totally agree about the mccann connection as its both their daughters names. Thats the first thing I thinknof when I hear Madeleine.

Much perfer Amelie but too popular for me to have considered. Quite like Amerie too which is similar but not so over cooked.

attilascupcakes Fri 29-Mar-13 15:31:00

The two names together immediately made me think of the McCanns. I don't think either one on its own would have had the same reaction.

Madeleine would be my favourite. Although Amelie is very pretty it is also very faddy in the UK right now.

Madeleine. I think of the film about the school, not MM. I think it's a beautiful name and much more unusual than Amelie which seems to be everywhere at the moment.

mrsbungle Fri 29-Mar-13 15:48:03

I love the name Madeleine. I like Amelie but it is very popular. Madeleine is lovely.

Viviennemary Fri 29-Mar-13 15:50:19

I like both names but prefer the name Madeleine. But sadly I would think of the Mccann connection.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now