Thoughts on these girls names...

(15 Posts)
DessieLou Thu 28-Mar-13 03:15:12

My friend is an Army wife so moves about a lot. As naming trends vary so much throughout the UK she was wondering how these names would be perceived in different areas. Thanks for your input. smile

DessieLou Thu 28-Mar-13 03:18:13

Would help if I listed them, eh?! blush
Josephine
Francesca
Annaleise
Lucinda
Camille
Catriona
Carys

issypiggle Thu 28-Mar-13 03:25:18

hehe

i love the name francesca, it doesn't date. Josephine is lovely, but you don't hear that alot. the others are lovely names, but not ones i would pick.

caughtinagiggleloop Thu 28-Mar-13 03:40:54

They're all very pretty names. They sound a little bit posh to me, particularly when all listed together, but I'm not saying that's necessarily good or bad. Catriona and Carys are a bit more unusual being Irish and Welsh. I've only heard of people with Irish or Welsh heritage being called those names. I live in Greater Manchester.

DessieLou Fri 29-Mar-13 19:53:26

Oh she'll love that you think they're all posh! She is Scottish, hence Catriona. Thanks for your feedback. :-)

Manoodledo Fri 29-Mar-13 20:15:22

I like Carys best from the list. I know 2 people called Charys and neither is Welsh, so I don't think it's an issue.

catinboots Fri 29-Mar-13 20:16:26

Love em all

But I think camille tops it for me

sleeplessinderbyshire Fri 29-Mar-13 20:52:43

I love catriona (but only the Scottish ka-treeee-ona not the awful cate ree owna you hear sometimes) otherwise carts is ok but I really dislike all the other names on the list

invicta Fri 29-Mar-13 20:56:00

All nice names. Love Catriona and Cary's the best. Probably Lucinda and Camille are my least favorites.

KateShmate Fri 29-Mar-13 20:56:01

Francesca is gorgeous and can be shortened is so many different ways! smile

simplesusan Fri 29-Mar-13 21:26:59

Josephine - very posh.
Francesca - I like but perhaps a bit of a mouthful.
Annaleise - I really like this and haven't heard it much.
Lucinda -Like this.
Camille - ok
Catriona - not keen
Carys - ok if you are Welsh

Schulte Fri 29-Mar-13 21:30:32

Hmmm sorry but if you have to go for a German name, spell it correctly. It's Anneliese.

BordersMummy Fri 29-Mar-13 21:32:44

I live Lucinda and Catriona.

DessieLou Fri 29-Mar-13 21:52:35

Apologies Schulte, I have spelt it wrong there. You are quite right, it's Anneliese. blush grin

...or you could have Annalisa and could use either Anna or Lisa for short.

Lucinda and Josephine are a bit too posh for my liking (Scottish too and living in Scotland) Camille sounds like it could either be really posh or one of those names adopted by the riff raff grin 'cos it sounds posh - innit?'

Pick of the bunch for me is Carys as it crosses across all classes and countries and has a lovely meaning.

....and I prefer Katrine to Catriona

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now