Theola?

(36 Posts)
MrsSneezy Wed 27-Mar-13 10:48:46

Our baby girl is due in 6 weeks and we've been stuck for names for ages. We came across Theola in our baby name book and both like it. Shortenings are Thea and Lola. I think it's unusual and pretty without being too 'out there', but would love opinions from others.

Our baby book says it's Greek and means gift from god. We have no Greek connection but if we stuck to English names that would be very limiting.

What do you think? Is it too out there? Does it sound made up even though it's not?

sittinginthesun Thu 28-Mar-13 20:11:43

I love Thea. Gorgeous name, and very strong sounding.

nectarini1983 Thu 28-Mar-13 20:34:37

I prefer Thea/ Tèa/ Tia....I don't think Theola is a pretty looking name....and predictive text changes it to "throat" on my phone.

lockets Thu 28-Mar-13 23:28:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

birdofthenorth Thu 28-Mar-13 23:28:23

Sounds like a girl called Thea who plays the viola, sorry! I do love Thea though, it is simple, beautiful and underused (don't know why when Theo is pretty popular). Lola is nice but faddy and has already had its day in my mind if I'm honest (most I know are aged between 5 and 10, not babies).

lockets Thu 28-Mar-13 23:51:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Teapig Fri 29-Mar-13 09:03:41

Thanks ladies. I love Thea too and think that will be the shortening we'll use. There's something about Theola though I just love.

It's great to have opinions from others though and also to know what might come up on predictive text when I start to send the baby arrival messages out!

seeker Fri 29-Mar-13 09:08:25

What about Theodora?

Wishfulmakeupping Fri 29-Mar-13 09:21:09

I like Safia smile
Another name you might like is Athea I nearly choose it as a middle name I actually really like-Anthea but it's forever ruined by Anthea turner sad

Wishfulmakeupping Fri 29-Mar-13 09:21:27

Chose even

Frikadellen Fri 29-Mar-13 19:24:43

I like it

Teapig Sat 30-Mar-13 17:07:48

Thanks frikadellen, glad it's not just me and DH who like it.

So now we're trying to agree on middle names. I think because we're using an unusual first name we need to balance it with a more common middle name. Our short list so far:

Theola Isobel Rose
Theola Sophie Rose
Theola Amity Rose (I know, Amityville Horror and all that but it's French for friendship and I think it's quite sweet)
Theola Sicily Rose (DH's choice, I'm a little sceptical)

Or we may just drop the Rose, it's not a family name and mega popular these days I know. I just think it helps the name flow.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now