Gosh I find boy's names dull, nevertheless I have a short list

(86 Posts)
Artichook Tue 26-Mar-13 20:30:31

I loved naming my girls, there are so many choices for girls and you can get away with slightly unusual without sounding odd. Now I'm having a boy and it seems you have a choice of about 10 classic names that are hugely overused but lovely and after that your choices are really posh, really not, or 10 or so very "of the minute" trendy names. I'm not inspired at all.

Despite these feeling here is my list. What do people think?

Thomas - lovely, classic, way overused

Joshua - lovely, classic, but teacher SiL says the Joshua's in her class are always naughty.

Isaac - I thought this was pretty safe but a friend reacted with shock and said "you can't do that to a child"

Reuben - quite unusual, DD1 says its "weird", does this view of a 6 year old mean he will be bullied?

Frederick - Freddie, a family name, but I'm not sure.

KittiesInsane Wed 27-Mar-13 12:43:33

If you like Atticus, would Marcus be a 'safer' option?

Mind you, we have two of the 'boring' options already mentioned. I like boring. Especially as we have an away-with-the-fairies sort of surname.

KittiesInsane Wed 27-Mar-13 12:45:04

Why did your friends react so strongly to Isaac, which is pretty mainstream and has been for centuries? I can only imagine you have a comedy surname combination such as Hunt or Cox...

LeonieDeSainteVire Wed 27-Mar-13 19:03:57

Like a couple of previous posters we went 'retro' for our boys with names that were popular in the 60s and 70s, that way you can have classic names that aren't two a penny (although often not as rare as you might think!). It does have thd slightly funny effect that when you call your child, say in a park, several dads and grandads always look up smile

From your list I think Freddie, Isaac and Reuben, whilst nice names, are of the moment whereas Thomas is simply a classic, a name that has always and will always be popular, a bit like James. These names endure for good reasons IMO.

fussychica Wed 27-Mar-13 19:20:39

Thomas, James, Luke, Adam.......can you see where I'm going with this?
Timeless, no bullying, sound right at 8 month, 8 or 80.

thegreylady Wed 27-Mar-13 19:25:42

They are all lovely my favourites in order are:
Freddie
Isaac
Thomas
Reuben
Joshua

I also really like Frank, Edward and Patrick

I'm the opposite - I think there are loads of lovely boys names but I find girls' names a bit meh.

My favourites include:

Caspar
Otto
Sebastian
Wilbur
Lawrence
Percy

From your list I like Isaac the most - classic and underused IMO.

gindrinker Wed 27-Mar-13 20:25:39

I like Richard. Rich/ie as nn?
Matthew?
Robert?
Daniel?

Ikeameatballs Wed 27-Mar-13 20:36:18

Winston
Stanley
Arthur
Donovan
Laurence
Sebastian

I really didn't want a super trendy of this moment type name for my dc. For dd we went a bit retro and for ds went classic.

whyno Wed 27-Mar-13 20:53:00

I like them all. Reuben and Freddie are very of the minute where I am though. All Thomas's love being called Thomas in my experience if that helps!

ThreeMenFromCarntyne Wed 27-Mar-13 21:36:32

Simon or Isaac for me.

ThreeMenFromCarntyne Wed 27-Mar-13 21:38:06

Patrick is also fabulous

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now