Edith or Sylvie

(65 Posts)
SilverBirdie Mon 25-Mar-13 20:50:19

We've been set on Edith for a while bit I'm wavering the more I hear people grumble about it. Not that we've told anyone we like it but they know we like old names and have been guessing/passing comments on what they consider awful sad
Sylvie we also love but it's very close to my DM's name and our sons name is a variation of DF's name so I don't know if that's a bit silly although unintentional.

Any thoughts.......?

specialknickers Wed 27-Mar-13 21:59:23

Love both. Edith is already having a revival though - I know 3 Edith / Edies under the age of four... Only know one Sylvie though.

CruCru Thu 28-Mar-13 10:41:58

I think Edith is amazing - like Edith Piaf.

TiredFeet Thu 28-Mar-13 13:55:29

I really really like both names. I knew a lovely, feisty, pretty, kind Edith growing up and I think it is a very pretty name. Ignore what other people think!

yawningbear Thu 28-Mar-13 15:05:48

Sylvie by far.

SilverBirdie Sat 30-Mar-13 18:28:55

Bumping as so far the reactions are pretty much 50/50 grin

Other suggestions welcome flowers

CPtart Sat 30-Mar-13 18:54:19

Edith. There are far far too many ie ending names at the minute.

Mummynotmum Sat 30-Mar-13 18:58:46

Ivy? Livvy? Livia?

delilah88 Sat 30-Mar-13 19:50:48

Hello! I have already commented but feel motivated by this threat as we did, at one point, consider one of these names. They're both very classy and sort of daring being as they are so grannyish. FWIW a French friend told me that Sylvie is like Lynn or Carol in France, so also grannyish but in a different way. I reckon you can think up a better, third alternative! This is how it starts, with the daring vintage names and hopefully you find something with the same level of vim and surprise but less obviously trendy.
I like Mummynotmum's suggestion of Livia but how about just Liv -- Julianne Moore's daughter is called this, it's a Scandinavian name.
Agatha is nice, and European.
How about Claudia? Or Helena. Or even just plain Helen. Now that's classy.
Oo, oo -- Tess, or Ruth.

SilverBirdie Sat 30-Mar-13 20:18:37

I like your thinking delilah and hadn't realised that about Sylvie in France...... Mmmmmm
We have a good friend with an Olivia and my sister is also pregnant with that on her top three so wont be using that or a variation, although very nice.
My middle name is Helen! Dh isn't keen for us to have H names as in our area of Yorkshire they are not always pronounced sad
Not mad on Ruth but think I do need to compile a list of granny chic names smile
I wonder if someone's already started a thread on this to make life a bit easier.... Find it hard to find names' lists out of top 100

delilah88 Sat 30-Mar-13 20:23:59

I will list some I can think of:
Blanche (!)
Blythe (?)
Greta
Olga
Vivien
Mary
Maud (?)
Dorothy (awesome)
Agnes
Imogen
Beatrice
Laura

otherwise....
Bridget
Cassia

LynetteScavo Sat 30-Mar-13 20:24:15

Edith.

Please, I beg you. It's soooo much nicer than Sylvie.

FiveGoMadInDorset Sat 30-Mar-13 20:26:28

DD is an Edith, she is beautiful, strong willed, determined.

FingersCrossedLegsNot Sun 31-Mar-13 00:20:57

Sylvie is lovely but Sylvia would be super adorable!

Dixiebell Wed 03-Apr-13 22:31:21

Hi Silver!! <waves>

Like both your names. I have two friends though with an Edie and an Edith respectively. So I think I'd lean towards Sylvie, more unusual and v pretty. For Granny chic, we would have gone with Betty for a girl, but as you know it's boys all the way for us so far !

I'll suggest

Elsa/Elsie
Mabel
Hazel
Audrey
Ada
Norah
Lilian
May
Jemima
Ivy
Laurel
Rosemary
Gwendoline
Dorothy
Margaret
Flora

sassy34264 Thu 04-Apr-13 07:38:49

<waves>

how about,

Ivy
Mabel (love love love)
Avery (love this, wanted it for dd3)

bigbluebump Thu 04-Apr-13 07:41:26

Edith sounds harsh and unfeminine imo. Also hard to pronounce for non English speakers.
Sylvia / Sylvie is gorgeous, feminine and underused these days. Great choice!

Choccyjules Thu 04-Apr-13 07:48:01

My Grandma was called Edith and it's on my list to consider if we ever have another DC.

I don't know any children called Edith but do know one Sylvie.

I think go with your gut.

joby21 Thu 04-Apr-13 07:48:54

Love Edith, but it was our name is DS was a DD so maybe slightly biased!

joby21 Thu 04-Apr-13 07:49:17

Love Edith, but it was our name if DS had been a DD so maybe slightly biased!

GummyAdams Thu 04-Apr-13 08:03:57

I love the sound of Edith. It isn't hard-sounding at all to me. If you're bothered, I think it feels very English.
It also feels like a name in itelf, whereas, although Sylvie is beautiful and I had considered it in the case of a dd, it sounds more of a nickname because of the 'ie' ending.
I'm not keen on Edie though, mainly because of its similarity to the other (lovely but overued,) 'Evie', 'Ellie' etc.

DonDrapersAltrEgoBigglesDraper Thu 04-Apr-13 09:40:29

Edith. But it's about to become very popular, so get in now before it explodes. wink

SugarMouse1 Thu 04-Apr-13 11:39:47

Edith reminds me too much of 'Allo 'Allo! Sorry!

I prefer Sylvie

Of the two most definitely Edith. You will know when she's born and once it's her name no one will comment negatively on it ime.

thermalsinapril Thu 04-Apr-13 18:04:35

Edith is lovely and underused. Edie is a pretty nickname too.

Sylvie is a little bit faddy IMHO, but I like Sylvia.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now