Do you know a Morton? How old are they? What are they like?

(40 Posts)
Cookethenook Mon 25-Mar-13 13:49:47

Please please please don't try to put me off the name! We've had such a hard time trying to decide on one that we're both ok with and we think Morton Felix G is a good sounding name that goes well with DS1.

Anyway, like the question says- how old are they, what are they like? We're just curious as we don't know of any Mortons (apart from the one in Charlie and Lola and he's a Morten, which we're not so keen on) and are just wondering if there are many others out there.

FrancesFarmer Tue 26-Mar-13 03:02:49

My association: Morton Koopa from the Super Mario games

mathanxiety Tue 26-Mar-13 02:49:26

Morton is a brand of salt in the US.

If I heard the name I would think older American male who probably wore hideous plaid trousers in the 1970s and voted for Richard Nixon. I would place the name in the same class as Earl and Homer and Byron.

It also makes me think of morticians.

Ham69 Tue 26-Mar-13 00:02:55

Yes, I do! He's 5 and goes to my DC's school. Very sweet and gentle and has 2 older brothers. Parents are lovely and very 'normal' (though hate that word!) Have only positive associations with the name.

ElegantSufficiency Mon 25-Mar-13 23:08:38

Only Morten Harkett. I didn't know all that well !

squoosh Mon 25-Mar-13 23:06:30

When I hear Morton I automatically think of Morton's Rolls.

Not very helpful.

Chewbecca Mon 25-Mar-13 21:50:37

I used to work with a Morton. He must be 45-50 now. An accountant. Quite posh, quite handsome and charming. A bit of a public school boy type.

defineme Mon 25-Mar-13 21:46:44

38 year old Morten with Danish parents. Are you sensing a theme here op?

AberdeenAngusina Mon 25-Mar-13 21:42:36

My chemistry teacher at school was a Morton, or maybe a Morten. He was Scottish, but had a non-Scottish surname, possibly Scandinavian. He'd be in his late 50s now. He was skinny, geeky, easy going.

He's the only one I've ever met.

I know a scandi adult Morten. He's a bit clueless but very charming.

meala Mon 25-Mar-13 19:54:03

Morton is a Scottish football team, currently top of the first division. He could have a cool football top with his name on it ! greenock morton

Well, I've never heard of it, but I like it. Nice sound to it.

Have never met one.

Jamdoughnutfiend Mon 25-Mar-13 18:51:12

I know a Morten - about 40, Danish, very cool

sparkle12mar08 Mon 25-Mar-13 18:50:15

I know of a Mortimer. He's about 9 or 10 I think. Parents are a bit individual and he has a double barrelled first name and a double barrelled surname...

PhyllisDoris Mon 25-Mar-13 18:42:13

Morton isn't a name, unless you're Jewish, or Norwegan (and then it's MortEn).
Could also be a surname I suppose, or a town.
Def not a first name.

nextphase Mon 25-Mar-13 18:41:35

Danish Morton here.
mid 30's, lovely.
Really into brewing (and possibly drinking) beer, cycling. Multilingual (5 or 6 languages), works in finance.

It's the name of the Health Care of the Elderly Ward I worked at when I was 19. Sorry, not very helpful.

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Mon 25-Mar-13 18:24:01

Still think it sounds bright, intelligent.

Fwiw locally most names get abbreviated with a -y on the end.

WinkyTwinglet Mon 25-Mar-13 18:11:44

I know a Norwegian 'Morten'. He is in his late twenties and is very polite and intelligent.

Cookethenook Mon 25-Mar-13 18:10:02

Don't mind mort... Bit deathy though!

Would try to steer it towards Morty or Moss (not a natural connection, but love the nn.)

telsa Mon 25-Mar-13 17:39:29

Morton Feldman ...composer is all I think of.

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Mon 25-Mar-13 16:51:51

Know a middle-aged Danish Morten pronounced more like More-den. Kind, educated, bookish.

Morton makes me think of Samantha Morton, actress, mid 30s.

As a first name I guess it could be shortened to Mort, how do you feel about that?

Sounds smart, cultured, and love Felix.

Cookethenook Mon 25-Mar-13 16:23:11

To me, Morton is the mouse in Horton Hears a Who voiced by Seth Rogen smile (forgot to mention that one) and of course Charlie and Lola Morten.
kobay it never really struck me as a Jewish name, but we seriously considered Ira for a while which really IS an elderly Jewish man name, so I guess we have a thing for names like that!

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Mon 25-Mar-13 16:10:42

I find a good test of any name is to google image it.

Morton

Just for reference...LOLA

CLEMENTINE

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Mon 25-Mar-13 16:08:23

Morton is a town near Birkenhead.

OneHundredSecondsofSolitude Mon 25-Mar-13 16:07:50

i wish i knew Morten Harkett hummanahummana

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now