Pre-dh veto short-list

(60 Posts)
mynameisnotmichaelcaine Fri 22-Mar-13 20:46:56

Hello all,

I would really appreciate some thoughts before I take my short-list, cap in hand, to DH. If I can get some support for names on there, they are less likely to meet with instant dh veto!

This is dc3 - we have a dd with a v "normal" name (which was much more unusual a decade ago when she was born!), and a ds with a v unusual one.

Boys:

Joseph
Gregory
Rufus
Francis (I have gone off this quite a lot since the new Pope chose it!)

Girls:

Tess
Greta
Faith
Vita
Clarissa

DH likes Frances, but I have the Pope issue again. Also there is the fact that I am a Southerner living in the Midlands, so I say Frances with a long a, whereas dh, my other kids, and virtually everyone else I know says it with a short a. I think that this would irritate me. It doesn't bother me as much for a boy, as he would be Frankie, at least to us, but a girl would remain Frances, so it would be more of a problem.

Other suggestions welcome, although nothing beginning with A or M please smile

mynameisnotmichaelcaine Mon 25-Mar-13 08:05:20

Tiddly and Mammy,I did suggest this, and he pulled a face. I have a few months to work on him though...

X-post Mammy sorry!

I know a Tess who's short for Tessa - would that appease your DH?

How about Verity?

themammy73 Sun 24-Mar-13 18:23:36

I have a Tessa nn Tess. Would your DH go for that? If you like Tessa of course! smile

notimefors Sun 24-Mar-13 06:59:28

My favourites from your list are Gregory, Greta, and Vita.

mynameisnotmichaelcaine Sun 24-Mar-13 06:38:38

Leo is a lovely name, but is my bf's son's name so not on the list.

Math, he grew up in Northampton! Although he did go to Catholic schools with lots of kids of Irish origin.

From your lists, having already ruled out A and M names, I like Isaac and Rachel. Isaac was nearly DS's name, but it's really popular here though, there are 3 in his class. Jonah is more popular than Joseph, and not as nice imo.

mathanxiety Sun 24-Mar-13 02:09:30

Leo is a lovely name.

ElegantSufficiency Sat 23-Mar-13 23:10:55

I like Gregory, Dominic and Leo. Francis is OK too. Popes' names are good names.

Greta and Rachel are lovely.

mathanxiety Sat 23-Mar-13 22:44:03

Gregory, Michelle, Lorraine and Bernadette, and Teresa instead of Tess on the BC, are truly 70s-tastic Irish - did your H grow up in Ireland or in an Irish community?

From the names on your list, I would choose Tess, Greta or Vita for a girl, and Joseph or Francis for a boy.

From names you have mentioned downthread, I love Alice, Celia and Cecelia, Naomi and Rosa, Dominic and Seamus.

Would you consider
Nathaniel
Isaac
Jonah
Samuel
Michael
Josiah

Zoe
Rachel
Abigail
Katherine
Miriam

BeeBopDingALing Sat 23-Mar-13 22:08:06

Like them all except Gregory (geeky weedy 70/80's name) and Rufus (it's a dogs name)

mynameisnotmichaelcaine Sat 23-Mar-13 21:31:46

Lovely names smile I really like Seamus, I remember thinking Shay Given had a wonderful name when I was a football fan in my teens. However, I would be a bit unsure of using it with no Irish heritage on either side. John and Patrick have been ruined for me by teaching.

The other girl names you've suggested are all lovely, but not quite "the one". Apart from Rosa which I absolutely love. Am going to hope DH has forgotten he rejected it once before and sneakily add it back on to the list.

Ironing, Naomi and Nina are right up my street. Not so keen on Eliza or Esme.

As for boys, Ethan and Noah are really nice, but just don't quite do it for me. I wanted to call Ava Jude if she'd been a boy but was a bit fat no from him indoors. I've since gone off it a bit.

IroningBoredDaily Sat 23-Mar-13 21:26:15

I love Naomi.

Ava, Asher & Naomi
Ava, Asher & Nina
Ava, Asher & Eliza
Ava, Asher & Esme

Ava, Asher & Ethan
Ava, Asher & Jude
Ava, Asher & Noah

TheSecondComing Sat 23-Mar-13 21:24:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mynameisnotmichaelcaine Sat 23-Mar-13 21:20:24

LOL TheSecondComing, that has tickled me! What are your other dc called if it's not outing you too much?

Love Marianne and also Miranda, but just not sure about alliterative names. Harriet is also an all time favourite, but is already in the family. Elsa is too close to my name, but is much prettier!

I love francis and frances with or without pope.

I have the opposite problem, I'm the one with the short vowel and we live in the south. if you teach them it works either way it'll be fine.
I love virtue names: faith is beautiful.

TheSecondComing Sat 23-Mar-13 20:59:54

smile

mynameisnotmichaelcaine Sat 23-Mar-13 19:37:37

No, Michelle and Lorraine are not to my taste. Isobel is a lovely name, but I went to school with one who bullied me, which has tainted it for me. Isolde is pretty, but my Dad would not be able to say it. Ishbel sounds a bit too much like someone sneezing. As you can see, part of our problem is that we are both extremely fussy!

Isadora is lovely (I have an Isobel!). Can't say Michelle or Lorraine are doing ti for me though!

Do you like Isolde or maybe Ishbel?

mynameisnotmichaelcaine Sat 23-Mar-13 19:27:33

I think we have very similar taste smile We call Ava Mave or Mavis smile I love Rowan, although slightly prefer it for a girl I think, but our surname begins with M, so names that end in N don't work well with it. I love Esther but was a dh veto on my original list for Ava. I am surprised our kids have names at all: my top two were Isadora and Delilah, and his were Michelle and Lorraine grin

We considered Tess for dd1, but it didn't go with dp's surname. We also liked Rowan and Bartholomew for boys and Maeve, Hester and Marianne for girls.

mynameisnotmichaelcaine Sat 23-Mar-13 19:14:53

I see Remus smile It is tough act to follow. I love Laurence, but teach absolutely loads of them (am secondary in a rural area, seems v popular in farming families). Still love it, but ALL of them are shortened to Loz, which I do not love!

Francis is the name of dh's Grandpa, who will be the baby's only great-grandparent (the others had 5 when they were born!). William was my Grandad. That would be my first choice, but a friend bagsied it years ago sad Not so keen on Franklin - I seem to recall an irritating cartoon turtle with that name?

I know that Gregory is Popey - that's why DH doesn't like it. Also he went to a school called St Gregory's, which I don't think he has particularly fond memories of. I just really like the sound of it. To be fair I'm not sure I'd want to name my child after my school, although mine was called Wildground, which is a pretty cool name for a boy! ;)

DH says he would only go with Tess as an nn for Teresa, as he doesn't think it's a proper name on its own. Gutted, as I don't really like Teresa.

TheSecondComing Sat 23-Mar-13 19:07:41

DontmindifIdo Sat 23-Mar-13 18:53:31

If Francis is a family name the you give your DH the short list saying "here are some names I like, although I'd like to name him after my Grandad/dad/uncle etc Francis" Stress the "naming after family" don't mention the pope in it. (Plus as it's a very 'catholic' name now, it's unlikely Will & Kate will pick it, you know whatever they pick will be the top of the name list)

I love the name Faith.

I would ditch Popey names -- there will be a rush of them over the next year or two. But Franklin is a good option if you are aiming for Frankie. I think all your other names are good (BTW I know a small Dominic who shortens to Nic).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now