Is Noah a girls name now?

(20 Posts)
OkayHazel Sun 24-Mar-13 15:21:34

Noah is big in America for girls.

ElegantSufficiency Sat 23-Mar-13 15:39:50

Noa is a girl's name in Spain. Don't like it much.

FreedomOfTheTess Sat 23-Mar-13 14:46:17

CoffeeMum - you're absolutely right, Eliot in Scrubs was named such because it's a boy's name (for the reason you mentioned), she explained it one of the earlier episodes.

grin my scrubs knowledge is not as in depth as yours.

CoffeeMum Sat 23-Mar-13 09:24:24

Caffeinedrip - i may be wrong, but wasn't Eliot in Scrubs named Eliot precisely because it was a boy's name? Didn't she have pushy parents who simply wouldn't accept that she was a girl, and gave her a boy's name anyway? Could be having a memory fail though! And to be fair, she could carry off any name she wanted wink

Elliot Reid- scrubs smile

NotTreadingGrapes Sat 23-Mar-13 08:13:40

Of course! Oops! 1980s memory fail grin

SeventiesBush Sat 23-Mar-13 07:07:01

Elliott is the boy in ET, Drew Barrymore is Gertie.

I love Noa for a girl, it's pretty.

NotTreadingGrapes Sat 23-Mar-13 07:04:41

Elliott is Drew Barrymore on ET.

I think Noa sounds very nice. Only said with proper French accent though. Otherwise it becomes one of those mangled-by-Brits names which sound like fingernails on a blackboard. (yes, Elodie and Luca, I am looking atcha....)

I think the stress on girl-Noa is on the a? My French colleague has a Noa.

Noa was our choice for DC2 had he been a girl. It's a lovely name both written down and spoken, I'm still a bit sad that I'll never get to use it. grin

WafflyVersatile Fri 22-Mar-13 22:37:43

I mentioned this on another thread. I must have seen the same thing you did.

I like it.

MummyPig24 Fri 22-Mar-13 20:06:03

The couple on tv spelled it Noah which is why I was a bit confused. Noa is lovely but I agree most people would think it a boys name.

goingwildforcrayons Fri 22-Mar-13 19:14:38

Didn't know that but I like it.

TheRealFellatio Fri 22-Mar-13 19:10:40

I have never heard Elliott used as a girl's name, but then nothing surprises me these days.

WishSpringSummerWasHere Fri 22-Mar-13 19:09:40

Noa - girl
Noah - boy

Noa as a girls name has no links at all with the boys name. It is a Hebrew name meaning movement or Japanese meaning from love.

I have a Noa and we get a lot of compliments on the name.

FingersCrossedLegsNot Fri 22-Mar-13 17:12:39

Yeah Noa is used as a girls name, I like it but personally wouldn't use it as I think most people on hearing it would assume it's a boys name.

MummyPig24 Fri 22-Mar-13 16:17:43

"Noa" seems very feminine and "Noah" more masculine.

MummyPig24 Fri 22-Mar-13 16:17:15

I thought I had seen "Noa" as a girls name but not "Noah"

KobayashiMaru Fri 22-Mar-13 16:14:32

without the h it is, it's common in Israel: noa.

MummyPig24 Fri 22-Mar-13 16:12:51

On that programme the other night "we're having a baby" one couple had a daughter called Noah. I know some names are unisex (Elliott, Alex) but I never knew Noah could be a girls name too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now