Last ditch desperate attempt to name my 2 week old daughter. Please help...

(210 Posts)
stillunwritten Thu 21-Mar-13 15:37:48

I cannot decide my daughters name, and you would not believe the pressure this is putting me under! Nothing seems to fit her and I am scared I'm going to have to just go with something I'm not entirely happy with just for the sake of choosing. I seem to find fault in every name I come up with- too popular, too bland, not good with surname, a friend has already used it etc.

To give some examples of the types of names I like:
Ellis- doesn't really suit her
Ruby- pretty popular, bit bland?
Ava- v v popular, don't want her to be one of five in get class
Honor- is this cool or frumpy?? Is it an attractive name or hard to live up to?
Reese?

I also like a name my friends daughter is called but am afraid it will piss her off if I use it and it feels like her name if you see what I mean.

I don't want too cute and girly but I do want cool, attractive and maybe a wee bit different.

Any suggestions??

Pudgy2011 Sun 24-Mar-13 16:22:38

stillunwritten are you me? We have very similar taste in girls name and guess what was number one of our list? Dylan grin

DH and I really loved it, others on my our list were Darcy (love love love it!), Harper, Alannah, Noelle and Ellis.

We ended up with a DS but should we be blessed with a DD next time I reckon we would still love to use Dylan for a girl. Darcy doesn't go very well with our surname unfortunately.

I hope you've managed to decide on a name for your baby and you're enjoying those gorgeous cuddles.

We have an Honor Charlotte. She's nearly 10 so I am obv a trendsetter! Everyone comments on it saying how lovely it is and we've only come across one other so far though that looks set to change. And I think Honor Iris sounds lovely, really. I think you have a clear winner here!

BangOn Sun 24-Mar-13 16:08:04

i wouldn't pur Honor & Iris together in that order, although i like them both separately. Sounds like the answer to the question 'where does she put her contact lenses?' - 'on her iris'.

In fact i'd stay away from any 'object' middle names.

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Sun 24-Mar-13 12:03:27

There is still time and you can reconsider. Someone I know read cast and production names after tv programmes and spotted The One.

I am sure you have racked your brain and tried all the following:
A favourite film with an appealing character, an actress you like? An athlete or artist?
Perhaps you can recollect a song or a book you loved.

cakehappy Sun 24-Mar-13 11:56:04

Preggers, and if I have a girl these are my names

Darcie

Georgie / Georgia

Priscilla (nicknamed Pri)

Hope that helps! Dont feel too bad, you will find the right namesmile

Cattiet Sun 24-Mar-13 11:47:55

Am voting for cora

ThreeMenFromCarntyne Sun 24-Mar-13 10:06:14

Okay,here are some thers I like, hope one clicks.

Juliet

Erica

Grace

Emily

Rose

Mirrin

Beth

My dds name just clicked, but my boys didn't,I was like you and just settled on the one we could agree on, he did it though and I love it now, you have six weeks after registering when you can change it too.good luck.

MadamGazelleIsMyMum Sun 24-Mar-13 09:17:55

I really like Dylan for a girl.

The thing with names, as far as my experience went with my DC, was that it took a while for the name to feel right, certainly needed to use it for them for a while before it really clicked as being their names. So my advice would be to pick something you like, start to use it, and then before you know it, you wont be able to separate the sound of the name from the thought of your DD.

stillunwritten Sun 24-Mar-13 09:09:36

Thanks again for all your input. You have all been very helpful. Sadly, nothing yet feels quite right ( obviously my problem ) and I'm feeling pretty gutted about all this now. I never imagined choosing a name could be so difficult for anyone. I have been expecting something to just click bit it hasn't.

iheartmycat Sat 23-Mar-13 15:18:30

I used to love the name Dylan. A friends son is called this - he now gets called 'dildo' by kids at school......put me right off it.

FleeBee Sat 23-Mar-13 14:12:49

I know someone with a daughter called Dillon pronounced the same as Dylan

HansieMom Sat 23-Mar-13 13:56:59

Bree

ZolaBuddleia Sat 23-Mar-13 13:47:11

Isn't Eloise increasing in popularity though? I love it too.

TomDudgeon Sat 23-Mar-13 13:47:09

Another vote for Honor
Unusual but not unknown
The few I've known have all been intelligent strong kind types

Eloise is fabulous, honor is not.

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Sat 23-Mar-13 13:37:43

Interesting reading that thread, CheeseStrawWars I wonder what that poster went with?

Going back to your intro, I see you did mention Reese, it wouldn't work as well with Iris as a middle name though...

I hope you will feel pleased with the name you settle on OP agree with others once you announce your baby's name that's who she is! Anyone else can lump it.

ASmidgeofMidge Sat 23-Mar-13 10:56:16

Renee? Agree Honor is gorgeous though

CheeseStrawWars Sat 23-Mar-13 10:51:53

Honor Iris sounds like she has something stuck in her eye, to me.

On a more helpful note, there's been a a "Dylan for a girl?" thread here:www.mumsnet.com/Talk/baby_names/1086862-Dylan-for-a-girl/AllOnOnePage

Going I'm guessing she's not old enough to read over your shoulder?

goingdownhill Sat 23-Mar-13 10:08:56

Ok so my Honor was just walking around with a random stuffed ladybird, I asked her what the ladybirds name was. She looked at me as though I was mad and said she is a girl ladybird called Dylan shock.

I am asking her for next weeks lottery numbers next grin.

goingdownhill Sat 23-Mar-13 09:08:41

Honestly I think you should go with Dylan. She is your daughter and I think that is the name you love. Even if initially a few people raise eyebrows who cares? Soon nobody will imagine her as anything else because she will just become her name. People will love it because they will associate it with her.

I am so with you on the middle name saga, my Honor has Juliet as her middle name which I love, but she also has DH's mums name that is awful it is on her birth certificate but we have never used it since, she is not registered in nursery or anywhere else with it. The grandparents will never know.

ZolaBuddleia Sat 23-Mar-13 09:03:40

You're right, nobody ever says all the names together, so if you like Honor and it sounds good with your surname I'd go for it. To me Honor is a different flavour to Iris, Iris is vintagey granny chic and Honor is more classic.
FWIW I find Honor to be a soft sound, not severe at all, for me names like Agnes are severe.
Good luck OP, I had terrible worries about DD's name and changed it at 3 months...

stillunwritten Sat 23-Mar-13 08:56:26

Thanks everyone for all the replies!

Goingdownhill you are so right if you love a name you don't worry what people think, but unfortunately it's in my nature that I'm a bit perfectionist about this, it's more me finding potential faults than worrying what other people think as really what I name my child means very little to anyone else. I actually hate being like this because there is no perfect name really so I just have to go with something.

I see that Jessica Albas daughter is called Honor Marie. I think this sounds lovely as the second name softens the first and they go really well together. My problem is I have committed to family names as middle names. I think Honor iris sounds a bit too old fashioned to be honest but iris is very important to my dp. To have something softer I would need 3 middle names ( other one is anne) Who says all their names together though in reality?

Sorry am kind of boring myself now guys.

I still love Dylan. It's Drew Barrymore that was called it in Charlie's angels- my concern is you may have to be a drew Barrymore to carry it off. Have to say nn dilly hadn't occurred to me and I'm not mad keen on that.

Anyway as far as I am aware she needs to be registered by this Friday so I'm gonna have to get over my overanalysis and just pick something. I just want to get that "yes, that's it" feeling if you know what I mean (and for do to say something more enthusiastic than "yeah that's ok" to every suggestion).

Phewf! Thanks for listening anyone who's still awake x

Flojobunny Sat 23-Mar-13 08:42:15

Don't like Honor at all. Just think of the nursery rhyme Jack Horner.
Don't like Dylan, it'd get shortened to Dill.
Girl/boy names I like:
Robyn, Alex, Shaun, Billie, Harrie.
Girls names I love:
Matilda, Sky, Sophia.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now