Dh says looking here is pointless!

(9 Posts)
BernadetteRostenkowskiWolowitz Fri 29-Mar-13 10:32:31

Barry was a name that came out of nowhere I think. It was a nn for Finbar, and it grew wings and took off. Now, Fin is not the new nn for Finbar, it stands alone, but I would avoid names like Fin or Freya which have never been popular before. I think that affects how the name will be perceived in 40-50 years time. I know a Barry who is nearly 50 and he is such a good humoured wise spiritual person. And yet he is a Barry. The only Barry I know. And I still dislike the name. confused

BernadetteRostenkowskiWolowitz Fri 29-Mar-13 10:28:45

I think he's getting confused with where he ends and you begin. If you enjoy looking here, then it is not pointless. Do you get to label anything that interests or amuses him 'pointless'. ???

Waffly, it's interesting how little difference there is between Harry and Barry/Garry. One little letter. What makes one acceptable and the other two so weird.

Mayanna, I think they may be looking for the approval of what they know is a particular demographic. You might get mn approval for the name Ophelia, but back on planet earth, eyes might roll at Constance or Manon.

Kaekae Thu 28-Mar-13 22:47:59

Thing about putting on a name on these forums is the minute a different name gets mentioned it rises in popularity.

mayanna123 Fri 22-Mar-13 12:11:10

So mumsnet might be useful in avoiding the trendy/fashionable and popular names. If everyone loves a name, we avoid it smile.

I often wonder whether posters' ask for opinons and the reject names that are overly popular? Or are they geuniunely looking for everyone to love their choices?

WafflyVersatile Fri 22-Mar-13 01:34:21

But names seem so much more fashion influenced than almost anything!

Where are all the babies called Craig or Carol or Elaine or Barry?

And when there were lots of Craigs and Carols and Elaines and Barries where were all the babies called Mabel or Ethel or Harold?

mayanna123 Thu 21-Mar-13 22:37:48

Actually he has a point. Names are very subjective and thankfully we all have different tastes! If someone doesn't like my dc's names then with all likelihood they don't share my (good grin) taste! They may also dress differently, paint their nails colours I don't like or choose furniture that I wouldn't choose. There is no right or wrong!

Wouldn't life be dull if we all shared the same tastes (and named our kids the same names!)?

I agree!

Because sometimes someone mentions something that you had skimmed over in the book.

More importantly, they tell you if your chosen name is currently living it up on some godawful reality programme...

We have a dd who already has a name and we have already chosen a name for dd2 (due in June). I was looking at these threads out of interest and because I find names and people's associations with them curious.

Dh says 'why would you want to know what names other people like? It's like knowing thousands of strangers' shoe size'
grin

He is bu isn't he!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now