I want to call my daughter Cambria.

(64 Posts)
zoetstoffen Wed 20-Mar-13 12:27:26

We're not Welsh, I just think it's lovely. It's easy to pronounce, easy to spell, and not too long.

Is this just hormonal madness or is it a nice name?

zoetstoffen Thu 28-Nov-13 23:28:05

Someone linked me to this so I thought I would update. We called her Cambria, and I have no regrets. No teasing, no negative comments, no mistaking her for a cheese or a font. Oh, and noone has misspelt or mispronounced it.

I can't imagine her being called anything else. And as a nickname, her grandparents have occasionally used Bree or Breea, which I much prefer to Cam. Perfect all round.

Biscuitsneeded Wed 27-Mar-13 17:54:18

I teach a Cambria. She's a very nice girl. I think you should use it!

That was a very interesting article.

zoetstoffen Wed 27-Mar-13 03:36:55

My closest ever brush with fame, and I can't tell anyone I know as we're keeping potential names secret until baby arrives!

MidnightMasquerader Wed 27-Mar-13 00:23:02

grin

Wow, famous.

Someone on my FB who I 'know' from another forum called her DS Hendrix.

No

Still18atheart Wed 27-Mar-13 00:11:31

Sorry it's too similar to Cumbria

MoetEtPantsOn Tue 26-Mar-13 03:05:05
MoetEtPantsOn Tue 26-Mar-13 03:04:17

You're famous, OP. Now. Who put Cambria forward for such an article...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/lifestyle/9949880/The-name-game-where-babies-are-the-losers.html

cuillereasoupe Sat 23-Mar-13 07:56:52

Yes, rocks and fossils here too.

MidnightMasquerader Sat 23-Mar-13 04:23:55

Canberra...? confused

I like it. And what sort of person laughs at someone's name? Children don't; they take names at face-value. I'm not saying children don't tease people over their names, but Cambria...? I really don't think it's going to pique too many bullies' interest.

pinkandyellowbutterfly Sat 23-Mar-13 00:08:16

Capital city of Australia?

mrsbungle Fri 22-Mar-13 19:10:44

I think it's quite a nice name and Cam is a nice nickname.

I have to say, though, when I saw the thread title I thought, at first, it said Cumbria.

StellaNova Fri 22-Mar-13 19:04:51

I like it. And I like Cam as a nickname.

7to25 Fri 22-Mar-13 19:02:26

The Cambrian Welsh, or mountain sheep,
Is of the ovine race,
Its conversation is not deep
But then observe its face.

fussychica Fri 22-Mar-13 18:57:50

Sorry made me think of Sheep or cheese - Cambrian I know but....

whyno Fri 22-Mar-13 18:07:06

Lovely name. And i usually only like very traditional names. Might add it to my list grinbtw I'm a web developer and the font reference wouldn't bother me. Can't see why it matters if its a font or a place or anything else (unless they were horrible things).

nooka Thu 21-Mar-13 17:28:40

It doesn't sound like a name to me, so I don't like it (and your dd may well get a lot of people doing the 'come again' thing when she gives them her name, which is frankly quite annoying, and she will have to spell it out frequently, also annoying).

I'd also not use it with a ds called Kester because it's very matchy, almost tongue twistingly so. It's also a bit odd IMO to have one child with a very Scottish name, and other with a name that means Wales.

BeeBopDingALing Thu 21-Mar-13 17:21:27

No, made me think of cheese too.

zoetstoffen Thu 21-Mar-13 11:08:29

Thanks all. Now I need to decide what to use if it turns out to be a boy instead of a girl.

raisah Thu 21-Mar-13 01:39:36

I did think of Camembert & Cumbria, sorry. If you love it then go ahead but bare in mind that you are setting your dd up for some playground teasing.

OkayHazel Thu 21-Mar-13 01:38:17

Cambria is one of two current Windows fonts, along with Calibri.

A computer literate generation will be aware of this!

I'm gonna call my baby Comic Sans smile

If someone wants to make fun of you, they can do anything with your name. It doesn't have much to do with the name itself. One of my middle names is Margeurite- so I was Pizza for a bit. My first name sounds like the French word for church so I got called that too. What daggers eh....it's hardly going to wound you for life! makes me laugh now

There are plenty of Camillas called Cam. What sort of person would laugh at someones name hmm

Rosa Wed 20-Mar-13 14:49:22

Sorry don't like it..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now