I want to call my daughter Cambria.

(64 Posts)
zoetstoffen Wed 20-Mar-13 12:27:26

We're not Welsh, I just think it's lovely. It's easy to pronounce, easy to spell, and not too long.

Is this just hormonal madness or is it a nice name?

TwoBoiledEggs Wed 20-Mar-13 13:31:37

Isn't it a type font? Or am I thinking of something similar?

INeverSaidThat Wed 20-Mar-13 13:33:13

I think it sounds like the name of a car or a county, it is quite pretty though. Does it go nicely with you surname? It does sound like a girls name.

DEFINITLY avoid it if your surname is Coupe or Shire or similar hmm

It's pretty OP, and somehow it's almost a bit classic, like simple and elegant.....go for it grin

TomDudgeon Wed 20-Mar-13 13:35:54

It's growing on me

Calibri maybe Two?

HousewifeFromArimathea Wed 20-Mar-13 13:37:03

Cambria is the name of a 100 year old barge

It is also the name of the crescent I used to live on. So it's a no from me I'm afraid!

bassingtonffrench Wed 20-Mar-13 13:37:15

I think i would get used to it.

SpringlingSpaniel Wed 20-Mar-13 13:37:17

Yes it's a font. Calibri is a different one.

LadyBigtoes Wed 20-Mar-13 13:41:25

Beautiful, I love it. makes me think of rocks and fossils (- that being a good thing in my book!)

zoetstoffen Wed 20-Mar-13 14:05:11

If it helps, my son is called Kester - another very unusual but fairly easy name. I love the sound of Cambria, it seems so feminine and elegant.

Seems to be a real split between those who don't like it at all and those who love it. I can see the confusion between Cumbria but not understanding the confusion with Camembert confused

GreatUncleEddie Wed 20-Mar-13 14:08:11

You know, I normally hate "made up names" and my kids have very old, well known ones. But these two are really nice. Plain, simple, unpretentious - I can really see why you like them

puddock Wed 20-Mar-13 14:22:59

And if anyone says "why would you use an ancient name of a country for a girl?", there's a fine precedent set by Erin.

I grew up with my friend and cannot remember anyone calling her Cumbria or Camembert hmm She was called Cami or Cam a lot, but she was a really pretty girl and it suited her, if I had another girl I would call her Cambria.

mungotracy Wed 20-Mar-13 14:43:09

depends....are you happy with people laughing at your daughters name because its a place? If so no problem. Also it will be shortened to 'cam'. Which is generally the shortened male appelation for cameron.

Rosa Wed 20-Mar-13 14:49:22

Sorry don't like it..

There are plenty of Camillas called Cam. What sort of person would laugh at someones name hmm

If someone wants to make fun of you, they can do anything with your name. It doesn't have much to do with the name itself. One of my middle names is Margeurite- so I was Pizza for a bit. My first name sounds like the French word for church so I got called that too. What daggers eh....it's hardly going to wound you for life! makes me laugh now

OkayHazel Thu 21-Mar-13 01:38:17

Cambria is one of two current Windows fonts, along with Calibri.

A computer literate generation will be aware of this!

I'm gonna call my baby Comic Sans smile

raisah Thu 21-Mar-13 01:39:36

I did think of Camembert & Cumbria, sorry. If you love it then go ahead but bare in mind that you are setting your dd up for some playground teasing.

zoetstoffen Thu 21-Mar-13 11:08:29

Thanks all. Now I need to decide what to use if it turns out to be a boy instead of a girl.

BeeBopDingALing Thu 21-Mar-13 17:21:27

No, made me think of cheese too.

nooka Thu 21-Mar-13 17:28:40

It doesn't sound like a name to me, so I don't like it (and your dd may well get a lot of people doing the 'come again' thing when she gives them her name, which is frankly quite annoying, and she will have to spell it out frequently, also annoying).

I'd also not use it with a ds called Kester because it's very matchy, almost tongue twistingly so. It's also a bit odd IMO to have one child with a very Scottish name, and other with a name that means Wales.

whyno Fri 22-Mar-13 18:07:06

Lovely name. And i usually only like very traditional names. Might add it to my list grinbtw I'm a web developer and the font reference wouldn't bother me. Can't see why it matters if its a font or a place or anything else (unless they were horrible things).

fussychica Fri 22-Mar-13 18:57:50

Sorry made me think of Sheep or cheese - Cambrian I know but....

7to25 Fri 22-Mar-13 19:02:26

The Cambrian Welsh, or mountain sheep,
Is of the ovine race,
Its conversation is not deep
But then observe its face.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now