French female names

(111 Posts)
Rororowmeboat Wed 20-Mar-13 11:03:27

I like Madeleine and Cecile but not 100% happy with them - does anyone have any suggestions for similar?

ElegantSufficiency Fri 22-Mar-13 23:51:53

I'm not bothered, as one of my children has a name that is dated. Although I think it works today.

One woman I know told her Nanny Fanny to introduce herself as Annie grin as Fanny is just not workable here. Good advice imo. Now if a name was that unusuable in a close or neighbouring country I'd probably rule it out. But the fact that it's dated, in another country.... so what really (just my opinion)

EldritchCleavage Sat 23-Mar-13 00:49:28

Laurence
Agnes

cuillereasoupe Sat 23-Mar-13 07:49:23

If you think Mirabelle is bad, I know a Myrtille grin. Most of the little girls around where I live are called Fadhila and Fatoumata... though there is a Beyonce at nursery smile

vitaminC Sat 23-Mar-13 08:35:49

Heh. I know a hamster called Myrtille.
And I actually know someone who named her daughter Prune! hmm

Worm Well I think it's a bit off to scoff at the name Mirabelle because it's a fruit, while fully accepting Clementine, which is also a fruit ....

By that reasoning, you could say "well, Poppy, Lily, Daisy etc are flowers which are commonly used as names, so why shouldn't I call my daughter Rhododendron or Crocus?"

I really wasn't scoffing - just pointing out it would sound rather eccentric...

cuillereasoupe Sat 23-Mar-13 08:48:33

I know a Prunelle... double hmm...

WormCanner Sat 23-Mar-13 11:56:53

vitaminC
But Mirabel(le) doesn't sound eccentric, because it has been used as an English forename for many years. The examples you have given have not.

sleepy78 Sat 23-Mar-13 12:14:25

At DD1's creche there are:

Azalice (I don't know how it's spelt but it sounds like that)
Manon
Clothilde
Lucie

I like Aurelie and Amelie and Faustine. But when we names our DD1 we looked for a name which sounded more or less exactly the same in England and France - I didn't want her to have to spell and pronounce her name for the rest of her life! So we chose Marianne..

fussychica Sat 23-Mar-13 16:31:39

Inez

chaya5738 Sun 24-Mar-13 11:48:21

I am nuts about Sabine and Simone. I like Ines too.

CruCru Mon 25-Mar-13 12:06:08

Thing about choosing a French name is you need to be absolutely sure of how it is pronounced - which I am not for quite a few of these. It would be awful to name your kid something and then find out it's pronounced quite differently.

Shewhojuggles Mon 25-Mar-13 14:23:54

I think Noémie (sp?) is beautiful, or Noelle is lovely too. Good luck with your DD x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now