Was set on Flora, but just saw Ellen??

(55 Posts)
emmyloo2 Wed 20-Mar-13 02:59:17

DH and I had locked in Flora for DD due in 9 weeks. However, stupidly I came back to Baby Names and saw someone asking for a sibling name for Ellen and it struck me how simple, classic and elegant Ellen was. I think DH will kill me for raising another option as we have been going around and around in circles and had finally decided on Flora (with Florence as a possible substitute).

DS is George and I want something traditional, not popular and elegant. And short!

So does Flora meet that? What about Ellen?

Thanks!

Yfronts Sun 24-Mar-13 23:13:45

Florence is stunning too. Theres also Floris, Fern.

Yfronts Sun 24-Mar-13 23:10:31

Ellen could be Ellie - of which there are tons. Flora is much more special.

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Sun 24-Mar-13 14:30:04

Back again OP? grin

Ellen is lovely but quite a few Ellies around... Nell is a popular MN suggestion lately.

I still love Flora.

I wonder if you will see her face when she is born and think, Aha! and her name will come to you regardless of what you ponder here.

I love Ellen. It's my gran's name and my sister and daughters middle name. It's elegant and timeless.

OkayHazel Sat 23-Mar-13 19:01:33

Ellie will be soooo easily avoided. Do not worry about that.

I'd suggest Elle. I think it's gorgeous and makes sense as a nickname for an already short name, to just pronounce the first syllable of the name.

ParmaViolette Sat 23-Mar-13 17:53:59

It will be whatever her friends call her her- OP won't be able to control anything.

I know three Ellen's between 4 and 20, 2 are Ellies - the youngest is Lenny (which I think is cute grin)

ElegantSufficiency Fri 22-Mar-13 22:58:20

Ellen is short. it wouldnt become ellie if you didnt want it to.

idiot55 Fri 22-Mar-13 21:56:38

I disagree Parma, ellen in this neck of the woods isnt shortened to Ellie

ParmaViolette Fri 22-Mar-13 21:16:59

If you call her Ellen, she will be Ellie.

Which is not so strong and beautiful.

mewkins Fri 22-Mar-13 21:07:42

I like both but out of the two prefer Ellen.

everlong Fri 22-Mar-13 20:09:29

Ellen is a bit boring.. and I always want to pronounce a H when I say it.

Flora is better.

3boysgirlontheway Fri 22-Mar-13 06:13:08

I am in Australia as well and have a 1 year old Florence, the reaction to her name here has been amazing. We haven't met any others, but, we have met so many Milly's and Amelia's it's like there was a law passed saying you had to call a daughter that.

For what it's worth, our Florence has a big brother called George as well smile

Gingerodgers Fri 22-Mar-13 00:27:51

I love both names.

wiltingfast Fri 22-Mar-13 00:15:59

I love Ellen. Beautiful strong name.

Flora is nice but nicer for a child than an adult. I'm not personally into the v feminine names really. Lot of them about!

williaminajetfighter Thu 21-Mar-13 07:18:15

My mean frumpy boss was called Ellen. Avoid!!!

OneLieIn Thu 21-Mar-13 07:08:17

Flora, margarine, spread.... Not good

Ellen much better

emmyloo2 Thu 21-Mar-13 06:48:47

Thanks sleepy - I think that is good advice re overthinking it. I have a tendency to overthink things! It's very hard because I just want to choose the right name!

sleepywombat Thu 21-Mar-13 03:47:37

I thought you wanted a short name?!

I think you should stick with Flora. Its lovely. You'll go off any name if you think about it too much.

Elizabeth nice too (but not short!) & like Lizzie, not overly keen on Ellen. Florence is just too flouncy/puddingy imho (although really suited a gloucester old spot sow I used to know) & really popular atm.

Maybe see what she looks like?!

emmyloo2 Thu 21-Mar-13 02:54:22

Thanks all. It is interesting the way people have completely opposite opinions. I don't think I am entirely comfortable with Flora, if that makes sense. I love it, but I am not 100% sure now. Whereas, with something like Elizabeth, I would have no doubts but just wonder whether it is too popular.

Where I live it is on the top 50 although quite low down. I only know of one little Elizabeth and she is known as Ellie. We would use Beth though or Lizzie.

Florence is the other option.

I don't think I am going to get Ellen over the line. I raised it with DH and he said it reminded him of the talk show host and the show annoyed him. I still love it but I am not going to go to battle for it I don't think.

So perhaps it's now Florence or Elizabeth....we also had Diana on the list at one point but that disappeared.

ripsishere Thu 21-Mar-13 01:05:06

Ellen is a gorgeous name. DD was almost called that and I regret not using it.
Elizabeth is equally lovely.
Flora not as much.

Startail Thu 21-Mar-13 00:51:48

Ellen, much, much nicer than Flora

Also if your not in the UK you may not have wall to wall Ellies. (I wouldn't mind if the Ellies were all Eleanor, but they're not they just want to confuse me!)

RunningDeer Thu 21-Mar-13 00:11:42

Flora is a beautiful name, as is Florence.

Really don't like Ellen, to me it's old fashioned & frumpy. Elizabeth is lovely, with lots of options for diminutives.

Ella is similar to Ellen, but much nicer IMO.

UnrequitedSkink Thu 21-Mar-13 00:03:46

Ellen is just lovely, as is Elizabeth. Elizabeth has the advantage of all the sweet diminutives (I'd have loved a little girl called Beth and a teenage DD called Lizzie), but Ellen is more unusual (in this day and age) and has its own grace and simple beauty.

BeeBopDingALing Wed 20-Mar-13 23:58:38

Ellen is a good name and so much nicer than Flora which I think is awful. Like another poster said Ellen is elegant.

squoosh Wed 20-Mar-13 22:53:42

Flora is far nicer.

Ellen is majorly frumpy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now