Was set on Flora, but just saw Ellen??

(55 Posts)
emmyloo2 Wed 20-Mar-13 02:59:17

DH and I had locked in Flora for DD due in 9 weeks. However, stupidly I came back to Baby Names and saw someone asking for a sibling name for Ellen and it struck me how simple, classic and elegant Ellen was. I think DH will kill me for raising another option as we have been going around and around in circles and had finally decided on Flora (with Florence as a possible substitute).

DS is George and I want something traditional, not popular and elegant. And short!

So does Flora meet that? What about Ellen?

Thanks!

Kveta Wed 20-Mar-13 03:05:35

Nobody will call her Ellen margarine, or say 'bet Ellen spreads well!'.

Flora will get those said to her at some point, believe me <voice of bitter experience>

emmyloo2 Wed 20-Mar-13 03:07:21

Thanks Kveta. We are in Australia and while we have Flora margarine I don't think we have the slogan spreads easily. I have never heard of it. In fact Flora as a name would be relatively unheard of here so I am not bothered about the potential teasing.

I am sure the margarine thing would possibly be raised, but that is not what bothers me...I just want to choose the right name!

westcoastnortherner Wed 20-Mar-13 03:08:35

Ellen, or how about Eleanor?

emmyloo2 Wed 20-Mar-13 03:09:59

Thanks Westcoast. I have considered Eleanor but it's quite popular here. I prefer Ellen.

I don't think I am going to get it past DH though!

ThisIsMummyPig Wed 20-Mar-13 03:18:34

DH's first choice name is Ellen, but he has a sister called Helen, so I vetoed it on the grounds of stupidity However, I would have loved Eleanor, but would have been tempted to call her Nelly. That got vetoed on the grounds that Eleanor sounds posh, and Nelly is a rude word where he comes from

TWinklyLittleStar Wed 20-Mar-13 03:24:38

Flora is margarine.

I like the name Ellen so much that I still like it even though it's DH's evil ex-girlfriend's name.

OkayHazel Wed 20-Mar-13 03:56:31

Ellen is miles better than Flora.

Though I am biased because it is my middle name.

NowPlayingZone Wed 20-Mar-13 09:09:37

Ellen is way more elegant & timeless than flora IMO.

HappyAsASandboy Wed 20-Mar-13 09:35:16

I agree with the others, Ellen is lovely smile

EssieW Wed 20-Mar-13 09:38:23

Ellen is gorgeous.

It was on our list for DD and would be top if we had another girl.
Sometimes I wish I had used it first time round.

Though maybe see what she looks like?

yawningbear Wed 20-Mar-13 10:42:14

I love Flora, only thing that would be put me off is the margarine connection but it sounds like that isn't an issue where you are so I would stick with it. Flora Ellen sounds lovely.

Gwennan Wed 20-Mar-13 12:34:33

I like Flora - I know a lovely one. I don't think she's ever had any problems with her name and she's in her late 20s now.

I like Ellen too but perhaps a little less than Flora. It just doesn't seem as special as Flora because it sounds like so many other names - Helen, Eleanor, Ellie, etc.

LeslieWink1e Wed 20-Mar-13 12:48:44

I love Ellen. ELeanor not so much.

Flora is lovely too, I do like it but I'd have reservations. It makes me think of floor. The margarine thing doesn't bother me, so what. All spreads claim to spread easily. That is no long a unique selling point of Flora Margarine. So it's a beautiful name. Your short list is two beautiful names.

Both lovely but considering all manner of thinggs, Ellen is my favourite.

As an alternative, Helen is the most beautiful and gorgeous and perfect name (biased) and I have never met a nasty Helen

olivertheoctopus Wed 20-Mar-13 13:57:50

Love Flora, Less keen on Ellen. A friend has a George and a Florence. Goes well.

MolotovCocktail Wed 20-Mar-13 15:35:08

I prefer Ellen to Flora. I'm also very fond of Eleanor, Ella, Elena (El-ay-nah) and Elle.

MolotovCocktail Wed 20-Mar-13 15:36:44

Oh, and I prefer Laura to Flora smile IMO, it's prettier, classic and sophisticatedly feminine.

bedmonster Wed 20-Mar-13 16:10:02

I know siblings called George and Ellen! I much prefer Ellen to flora.

Frikadellen Wed 20-Mar-13 16:17:11

Flora is beautiful

Ellen is plain imo

woopsidaisy Wed 20-Mar-13 19:05:00

I never thought of the spread, was wondering what you were all going on about! smile
I love Flora. It reminds me of one of my fav literary characters. Flora Post in Cold Comfort Farm!

Stixswhichtwizzle Wed 20-Mar-13 21:05:54

Love Ellen but i'm biased. It means sunshine too which is lovely imo

Dauphin Wed 20-Mar-13 21:14:03

We have Florence (she's 5), and I adore Flora...I think whatever the name, someone at shool will always have some rhyme for it etc...I think the diminutive Flo is so sweet.

idiot55 Wed 20-Mar-13 21:20:31

Love love love ellen. although Im biased!!

its not particularly popular either, easy to spell, timelse I could go on and on

snice Wed 20-Mar-13 21:21:56

I know siblings called George and Ellen too bedmonster :I wonder if they're the same ones!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now