Any thoughts on Anaïs?

(57 Posts)
EmeraldCoast Tue 19-Mar-13 14:49:53

I?m looking for a strong but feminine name that isn?t Amelia (love it but know three Amelias). What do you think about Anaïs?

Llareggub Wed 20-Mar-13 09:17:05

I am with those that forever associate it with erotica, and will imagine you are a fan of Anais Nin.

OneLittleToddleTerror Wed 20-Mar-13 09:13:44

By the way, bring it back to the original Anais. If I was told once it's an-nay-eese or an-nay, I would remember it. So I'd say go for it if you like it. I work in an office with lots of foreigners and some of their names are absolute tongue twisters!

OneLittleToddleTerror Wed 20-Mar-13 06:00:15

DD has a chinese name so it's foreign but hopefully not unpronounceable.

BeeBopDingALing Wed 20-Mar-13 00:04:16

I think OneLittleToddleTerror must have an Amelia.

What about Arianne?

serin Tue 19-Mar-13 22:31:51

Angharad
Annie
Anna
Anne
Ann-Marie
Anna-Mae
Angela

All what I would call 'strong'

birdofthenorth Tue 19-Mar-13 22:04:10

How about Anoushka?

ladymia Tue 19-Mar-13 20:55:34

OneLittleToddleTerror I am just going to assume you are the mother of either an Alfie or an Amelia and that you saw my comment as a personal attack. Your arguments have nothing to do with the OP's question.

I was merely pointing out that Amelia (TO ME) is not a strong name as per the original post and compared it to a name that is similar (TO ME) and that I quite like Anaïs.

Although, now people keep saying it's like Anus I have changed my mind anyways! grin

WormCanner Tue 19-Mar-13 20:04:07

OneLittleToddleTerror it was you who called it a "new" name.

But people have been giving short forms as full names for donkeys years, there's nothing new about that either. You can check this in the BMD indexes back to 1837. I wouldn't do it myself as I think it is short-changing a child, but there have always been people who have done so.

Everyone will call your kid Anus.

Don't be silly. Unless you're a trust fund babe. If you are, go ahead.

If you have any sort of accent you really can't though it would be proper funny in Brummie grin

Mintyy Tue 19-Mar-13 19:58:08

Its only ok if you or your dp is French. Otherwise its horribly pretentious.

Ann-ay-eece

Beautiful name.

OneLittleToddleTerror Tue 19-Mar-13 19:48:48

I know Alfie was a pet form of Alfred. But the new Alfies are actually Alfies! You can check the most popular name list from England.

Skinnywhippet Tue 19-Mar-13 19:48:41

What about Nyree?

WormCanner Tue 19-Mar-13 19:46:08

Alfie is simply a pet form of Alfred, it's not new.

More Royal trivia wink: One of Queen Victoria's sons was Alfred. She called him Affie.

Viviennemary Tue 19-Mar-13 19:41:25

It's OK but I certainly think there are a lot nicer names than this one. It reminds me of the perfume. Which isn't that bad but who wants to be named after a perfume.

OneLittleToddleTerror Tue 19-Mar-13 19:39:39

Ladymia what I mean is that Amelia is an old name and Alfie is a nickname or new name. Therefore I don't find Amelia cutesy, just as I don't find Chatlotte or Elizabeth either.

samuelwhiskers Tue 19-Mar-13 19:22:42

I don't really like it, reminds me of ananas ( pineapple) in French. I like some of the other suggestions - Anya, Amelia.

Iggity Tue 19-Mar-13 19:21:18

Or Aine pronounced on-ya but the same issues re. pronunciation and spelling will probably come up. Anais makes me think of the perfume.

Avinia?
Annika/Anneka?

Agatha?

harleyd Tue 19-Mar-13 19:08:24

reminds me of that horrible perfume

ladymia Tue 19-Mar-13 19:07:01

OP how about Annick?

ladymia Tue 19-Mar-13 19:03:08

"I can't see how Amelia is in the same category as Alfie. There are two princess Amelias in British history. Alfie, unless you mean Alfred, I am not aware of any royal connection for example."

Uhmm OK OneLittleToddleTerror

I said they are in the same caterory in MY opinion for the following reasons, they are both:

- cutesy
- terribly overused

... not whoever royal has had it as a name, I am not one that has those people that have commemorative plates in my house of the queen's dog's birthday so I would not have even known that bit of trivia. Thanks!

MustafaCake Tue 19-Mar-13 18:51:54

It's lovely but the one Anais I know spends her whole life explaining how to pronounce or spell her name.

She says it "ann-ay"

I would give your girl a name that is easier to say/spell TBH.

There's some lovely ideas on this thread.

Annie?
Anastasia?
Annika?
Anya?
Anneliese?

sapphirestar Tue 19-Mar-13 18:51:00

Dd has an Anais at nursery, I had to ask her to pronounce it and they say it like ah-nay

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now