Any thoughts on Anaïs?

(57 Posts)
EmeraldCoast Tue 19-Mar-13 14:49:53

I?m looking for a strong but feminine name that isn?t Amelia (love it but know three Amelias). What do you think about Anaïs?

ladymia Tue 19-Mar-13 18:00:03

I agree Amelia to me is the female version of Alfie. Both terribly overused, cutesy names and would not put them in the "strong" category.

BeeBopDingALing Tue 19-Mar-13 18:08:44

I wanted to say what WormCanner did, Amelia is a very whiny sounding and overused name. Anaïs & Antonia are much much better.

DXBMermaid Tue 19-Mar-13 18:15:05

I like it, but I too have two little dots in my name (on an e). I find that I've had to drop them as it complicates things in this digital era. My name should be pronounced close to the French way, as would be the same with Anais but most English people that I know just can't do that...

iamci Tue 19-Mar-13 18:39:51

I like it. what about Amelie? not as common as Amelia.

OneLittleToddleTerror Tue 19-Mar-13 18:44:15

I can't see how Amelia is in the same category as Alfie. There are two princess Amelias in British history. Alfie, unless you mean Alfred, I am not aware of any royal connection for example.

Acandlelitshadow Tue 19-Mar-13 18:48:48

Forever associated with Anais Nin and erotica for me.

Even without that association it's too close to 'anus' and hours of potential fun for the class bully IMO. Sorry.

PestoFrostissimos Tue 19-Mar-13 18:49:53

Perfume

sapphirestar Tue 19-Mar-13 18:51:00

Dd has an Anais at nursery, I had to ask her to pronounce it and they say it like ah-nay

MustafaCake Tue 19-Mar-13 18:51:54

It's lovely but the one Anais I know spends her whole life explaining how to pronounce or spell her name.

She says it "ann-ay"

I would give your girl a name that is easier to say/spell TBH.

There's some lovely ideas on this thread.

Annie?
Anastasia?
Annika?
Anya?
Anneliese?

ladymia Tue 19-Mar-13 19:03:08

"I can't see how Amelia is in the same category as Alfie. There are two princess Amelias in British history. Alfie, unless you mean Alfred, I am not aware of any royal connection for example."

Uhmm OK OneLittleToddleTerror

I said they are in the same caterory in MY opinion for the following reasons, they are both:

- cutesy
- terribly overused

... not whoever royal has had it as a name, I am not one that has those people that have commemorative plates in my house of the queen's dog's birthday so I would not have even known that bit of trivia. Thanks!

ladymia Tue 19-Mar-13 19:07:01

OP how about Annick?

harleyd Tue 19-Mar-13 19:08:24

reminds me of that horrible perfume

Agatha?

Avinia?
Annika/Anneka?

Iggity Tue 19-Mar-13 19:21:18

Or Aine pronounced on-ya but the same issues re. pronunciation and spelling will probably come up. Anais makes me think of the perfume.

samuelwhiskers Tue 19-Mar-13 19:22:42

I don't really like it, reminds me of ananas ( pineapple) in French. I like some of the other suggestions - Anya, Amelia.

OneLittleToddleTerror Tue 19-Mar-13 19:39:39

Ladymia what I mean is that Amelia is an old name and Alfie is a nickname or new name. Therefore I don't find Amelia cutesy, just as I don't find Chatlotte or Elizabeth either.

Viviennemary Tue 19-Mar-13 19:41:25

It's OK but I certainly think there are a lot nicer names than this one. It reminds me of the perfume. Which isn't that bad but who wants to be named after a perfume.

WormCanner Tue 19-Mar-13 19:46:08

Alfie is simply a pet form of Alfred, it's not new.

More Royal trivia wink: One of Queen Victoria's sons was Alfred. She called him Affie.

Skinnywhippet Tue 19-Mar-13 19:48:41

What about Nyree?

OneLittleToddleTerror Tue 19-Mar-13 19:48:48

I know Alfie was a pet form of Alfred. But the new Alfies are actually Alfies! You can check the most popular name list from England.

Ann-ay-eece

Beautiful name.

Mintyy Tue 19-Mar-13 19:58:08

Its only ok if you or your dp is French. Otherwise its horribly pretentious.

Everyone will call your kid Anus.

Don't be silly. Unless you're a trust fund babe. If you are, go ahead.

If you have any sort of accent you really can't though it would be proper funny in Brummie grin

WormCanner Tue 19-Mar-13 20:04:07

OneLittleToddleTerror it was you who called it a "new" name.

But people have been giving short forms as full names for donkeys years, there's nothing new about that either. You can check this in the BMD indexes back to 1837. I wouldn't do it myself as I think it is short-changing a child, but there have always been people who have done so.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now