Toby, Angus (Gus), Micah ... What do you think?

(43 Posts)
Ttcnumero3 Wed 13-Mar-13 23:38:38

It's hard going choosing names when your friends and family have so many children and hence names already used! Tonight dh and I came up with3 names that both if us would 'consider' lol! What do you think of them? Middle name would be James .

MonsterScout Sat 16-Mar-13 15:36:06

I love Micah. Its very popular in the US.

Toby is cute.

forgetmenots Sat 16-Mar-13 10:16:15

Ah I see rhubarb! I love Gus too and that's nice with the Dutch connection smile
Basking - that's why I'm not talking about names in real life! Too afraid!

Sorry for hijacking, thanks for the response!

Rhubarbgarden Sat 16-Mar-13 07:39:31

My Gus is just Gus. I like it as a standalone name. Also he's half Dutch and in Holland it is a name as it is, albeit spelt Guus.

birdofthenorth Fri 15-Mar-13 19:06:27

Like all of them (unhelpful!) but love Angus.

baskingseals Fri 15-Mar-13 16:42:08

forgetmenots - it does suit him. he's quite manly. he is Angus on the bc. i have only had positive comments about his name, but like another poster said - people aren't going to be mean about your dc's name once you have named them.

tbh i still prefer Gabriel. actually i have issues over ALL 3 of my dcs' names.
grin.

Ttcnumero3 Fri 15-Mar-13 12:25:48

I keep revisiting Jude thinking that I should like it. Just can't bring myself to though. Final nail in the coffin when I looked it up last week and meaning was 'a woman from Judah'.!

forgetmenots Fri 15-Mar-13 10:47:36

Thanks baskingseals. Love Gabriel but prefer Angus, hope you feel it suits your DS! smile

Like Jude too!

baskingseals Fri 15-Mar-13 10:19:48

what about Jude? don't know if it is Old Testament though.

like Rhubarbgarden i have an Angus, always known as Gus. his name was SUCH a compromise, i wanted to call him Gabriel and thought dh would eventually give in. obviously he didn't.

i also liked Christian with the nn Kit, but again dh vetoed that one.

love Micah. What about Nico?

forgetmenots Fri 15-Mar-13 08:35:31

Rhubarb is your DS Gus on his bc? Or Angus/Fergus etc? Keen to know what people have made of the name!

Rhubarbgarden Thu 14-Mar-13 22:22:47

I have a Gus so I'm biased. Toby is also nice and perfectly ok on a birth certificate as it stands. I dislike Micah.

TenthMuse Thu 14-Mar-13 21:05:01

Love Toby - would use Tobias personally, but just Toby's fine. Also like Angus - Gus is a great nickname. Not such a fan of Micah.

ZolaBuddleia Thu 14-Mar-13 21:04:21

I suggest Judah on all MN names threads so will have another go here! grin

Mandytm Thu 14-Mar-13 20:51:31

Micah is quite popular in The Netherlands. I have the Dutch female version Mieke (mee-ka) on my potential name list for mine if its a girl.

I do like Micah for a boy. I think it's good to have a first and second name with different number of syllables to each other as it rolls better.

Ttcnumero3 Thu 14-Mar-13 20:40:48

Hadn't heard of Micah Richards either...

Eskino Thu 14-Mar-13 20:36:46

I know a grown up Micah who is female! I assumed it was a girls name til recently. I kind of like it for a boy, it does sound very Old Testament.

I love Toby too. But don't like Tobias. Angus just makes me think of 'Anger' so its out for me.

Have answered my own question, thank you google.

forgetmenots Thu 14-Mar-13 20:34:16

Shame, I like Jonas too (but I'm in Scotland with no Scandinavian heritage so it was a no no from my DH too!)

Who is Micah Richards, am I going to be upset that people may think I named my child after him?

Ttcnumero3 Thu 14-Mar-13 20:32:17

Forgetmenots, i really like Jonas which is a derivative of Jonah. But dh has poo-pooed itsad.

Leeds2 Thu 14-Mar-13 20:31:07

I like Gus.

Any Micah born today would be assumed to be named after Micah Richards, which you may or may not mind!

LynetteScavo Thu 14-Mar-13 20:30:58

Angus James. smile

Micah is also nice (Mika, Angus and James were all on my list for DS1 smile)

For some reason I'm not keen on Toby, but there is nothing wrong with it. (And I;m very good at finding fault with names.)

Nahum?
Isaacher?

You aren't but I don't think you'll ever get 100% approval if your asking for opinions.

I obviously still like Micah.

Other rarer Old Testament names include

Asher, Jonah, Jesse, Gideon, Malachi (said Mal-a-k-eye rather than mal-a-key). Any thoughts on those?

Jojobump1986 Thu 14-Mar-13 20:19:15

I love Micah. Choosing DS2's name would be so much simpler if we didn't have close friends who have a Micah who will be about 15m older than him! sad

I like Toby, but prefer Tobias personally.

Not keen on Angus but then I've never even been to Scotland so I don't think you should pay any attention to me!

forgetmenots Thu 14-Mar-13 20:18:43

I love Jonah if that helps OP, I like Angus (as I said its my number one pick), and Toby, and Jonah is probably my favourite biblical boy's name.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now