Is Ava TOO popular?

(49 Posts)
CrimsonRed Wed 13-Mar-13 10:48:29

My husband and I only have one name we both like for our little girl... Ava.

Only problem is it seems to be very popular in the last 5 - 10yrs, not only in the UK - but US and Australia.

We don't know any Avas at all.

Do you think it's too popular to use? Also what is a good middle name with Ava? My husband like Ava Elizabeth, but I don't...

TIA smile

sandberry Thu 14-Mar-13 19:51:16

Ava is definitely popular and not just popular but trendy it will date. It seems to be the next name in the Ellie-Evie trend (look how dated Ellie already seems and that is what Ava will be like in 10 years). However it is a great name and I don't think popularity is a problem really with names. Why does everyone need an unusual name?

I predict Ada will be the next in the trend along with Alice (they are just coming through) so might be alternatives.

sandberry Thu 14-Mar-13 19:53:07

Vienna seems very posh to me. I used to know a super posh (private school and pony type) Vienna with a brother called Randall.

PuffPants Thu 14-Mar-13 19:57:58

I don't think Alice will date, will it? It doesn't seem faddy to me. It's always been around and is eternally classic I think.

Two other names I do think are soon going to date are Freya and Isla. But that doesn't stop them being lovely names.

scottishmummy Thu 14-Mar-13 20:00:56

It's v popular is that what you mean?
I'd anticipate being Ava a, Ava b etc at school,nursery
Nice. Name, v popular

FrancesFarmer Thu 14-Mar-13 20:04:45

Yes.

How about Ada?

It's got both literary and scientific cred - see Nabokov's Ada or Ardour and Ada Lovelace.

ParmaViolette Thu 14-Mar-13 20:06:41

I would go for Avery (beautiful strong name) and use Ava as a nn.

Devora Thu 14-Mar-13 20:14:28

Lots of Avas round here, but personally I think popularity is not such a terrible thing.

Olivia is just as popular.

Vienna is not so great.

Ads is a great name. How about Thea, Rachel or Talia?

TiredyCustards Thu 14-Mar-13 21:40:52

I know 2 little Avas. I wouldn't go there but i'm very precious with popularity! What about Aphra?

Vienna - no. Verity? Sienna?

Devora Thu 14-Mar-13 22:05:35

For Ads read Ada. Ada is a super cool name.

Coffee1Sugar Thu 14-Mar-13 22:50:30

How about Eva or Evie?

MidnightMasquerader Thu 14-Mar-13 23:11:44

That's the thing about Ava - even though it may 'only' be No. 11 in the charts, it's part of the whole Eve/Eva/Evie/Evelyn/Evangeline trend and so gets lumped in with these names, making it seem way more prevalent than it probably is. And will add to the dating factor.

Not a problem if popularity doesn't bother you, though.

My own name is one of these names - hugely popular with babies now (although disastrously old-lady when I was given it in the 70s) and there's several different ways to spell it, so by the time you add up all the variations, the result is an overly popular name which will date. Very, very cyclical, my name....

KenDoddsDadsDog Thu 14-Mar-13 23:22:08

I don't know any. Any I'm sure Myleene copied from Reese Witherspoon

MidnightMasquerader Thu 14-Mar-13 23:34:41

My Dad's friend in South Carolina's grand-daughter was called Ava a few years before Myleene sprogged so it feels to me like it's been around for ages.

But yeah, it probably 'emigrated' from the US where it was picked up on first, which makes sense, given that the most famous one is American!

CruCru Sat 16-Mar-13 11:09:44

I know one Ava who is a cat. It is a nice name; perhaps people think of it as super popular because they lump in all the Ava/Eve/Evie/Ella/Ellie type names together (which I tend to).

PuppyMonkey Sat 16-Mar-13 11:14:55

We know an Ava of nearly 6. Only one, so not too bad IMHO. Notts/Derbyshire.

God, I hope it's in honour of Ava Gardner, the gorgeous film star, and not after Mylene Sodding Klass's kid. grinhmm

PuppyMonkey Sat 16-Mar-13 11:17:58

Which reminds me, had a mate once who always used to say after someone said "Ava Gardner" "ave you, is he any good?"

We had a laugh in them days.

Carry on.blush

mynameisnotmichaelcaine Sat 16-Mar-13 11:26:41

I have an Ava, she is nine. When she was born I had loads of lovely comments about how unusual it was. Fast forward a decade and there are millions! Pick the name you love - you can't guarantee it won't "do an Ava" anyway! It was outside the top 200 when I had dd.

drownangels Sat 16-Mar-13 11:28:36

The only Available knowofismy DH's ex girlfriend from about 25 years ago.
She is nice so it hasn't put me off the name.

drownangels Sat 16-Mar-13 11:30:44

Sorry about my bonkers post! There was glare only screen so didn't check the autocorrect!

MiaowTheCat Sun 17-Mar-13 10:50:06

"I predict Ada will be the next in the trend along with Alice (they are just coming through) so might be alternatives."

Brownie pack of 16 kids... FIVE Alices.

Gwennan Sun 17-Mar-13 10:59:33

We have an Ava in my family; she's 5 and one of 2 in her class at school.

birdofthenorth Sun 17-Mar-13 20:21:54

I know 4 aged under 3 and 2 Eva's as well. These things are sometimes very localised but I'd say Ava was one of THE most popular girls names near me (Manchester). It is a very beautiful name though and obviously not quite as popular everywhere as it was no 9 in the 2012 baby names chart rather than, say, top 3.

anonymosity Sun 17-Mar-13 23:43:17

Quite a few of my friends who had babies before me chose this name, or Eve or Mia about 10 yrs ago. It was very popular then, not so sure about now. I like Eva as a name and always have.

LizzieVereker Sun 17-Mar-13 23:49:14

I think Ava is lovely. And in 12 years teaching in London I've never taught a single one, so not too popular round these parts.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now