Come talk to me about Pearl???

(73 Posts)
LuluLovesYou Sun 10-Mar-13 14:22:40

So after thinking I was settled on a name I now have been tempted by Pearl. What do you think? Do you know any (under the age of 70)...... If so, do they like being called Pearl? I think it would be nice on a little girl!

seeker Mon 11-Mar-13 06:32:07

Why would you be nervous? It's lovely.

seeker Mon 11-Mar-13 06:34:02

Only problem I can see is that in our neck of the woods (SE estuarine) it would be pronounced Pewl.

Moominsarehippos Mon 11-Mar-13 07:01:22

Where I'm from it would sound like 'Peril'.

chimchar Mon 11-Mar-13 07:03:52

Jack Osbournes baby girl is Pearl....I think its lovely.

xigris Mon 11-Mar-13 07:04:27

Love it! I know a lovely girl called Pearl. It's a beautiful name

exoticfruits Mon 11-Mar-13 07:11:38

It is a name that will date- as it has with the old ladies.

TheYamiOfYawn Mon 11-Mar-13 07:18:44

I know a lovely baby Pearl.

baskingseals Mon 11-Mar-13 07:26:40

i think Pearl is stunning. wish i had thought of it for dd - along with quite a few other names actually.

the meaning is just so lovely.

Glaikit Mon 11-Mar-13 07:31:51

I'm in the peril camp too, sorry, if I try to say it in one syllable it ends up as purl. I would chose it for that reason , but if you can see past the different pronunciations the sentiment behind the name is lovely.

Love pearls a sing though!

DolomitesDonkey Mon 11-Mar-13 07:36:23

seeker that's funny given the only pearl I know is SE Lahndahn.

Locketjuice Mon 11-Mar-13 07:40:10

Just makes me think pearl necklace which is a very nice association when you are thinking of the same dirty thing as me hmm sorry!

Locketjuice Mon 11-Mar-13 07:40:31

Not**^

sunnysunnyshine Mon 11-Mar-13 07:55:56

Love it, it's on my list too.

telsa Mon 11-Mar-13 09:17:41

Beautiful!

Moominsarehippos Mon 11-Mar-13 12:37:01

I don't think it will date as it isn't trendy at the moment - there was a plethora of little Olive/Olivia's, Jacks, Rubys, Graces... over the past few years but I haven't met a Pearl. Its lovely because although its unusual, people will know how to spell and pronounce it (regional differences aside!), and its not an 'ugly' name ifkwim (like Gertrude, or Norah - apologies to any Trudies out there).

ZolaBuddleia Mon 11-Mar-13 16:32:25

I love it, but wondered about the necklace association too.

MerryMarigold Mon 11-Mar-13 16:38:34

I don't like it. But neither do I like Ruby. And I would put it in the same category.

I don't like it but partly because I really don't like nns being "given names" iyswim, I perceive Pearl as being a nn of Margaret.

I do realise this is a controversial topic.and that I am a pedant.

Pearl isn't a nn of Margaret, it is what the name Margaret means. Things like Maggie, Mags, Meg are nns of Pearl.

Anyway I know a Pearl in her 40s. She's just Pearl. She's really nice! smile

MadeinMarch Tue 12-Mar-13 10:53:01

Love it. That is all smile

I meant nns of Margaret, not Pearl! blush

Lutrine Wed 13-Mar-13 08:17:09

I really like it!

sunnysunnyshine Thu 14-Mar-13 17:33:14

OP do you have any ideas for middle names? Just bring nosy really as this is one on our list that we can't think of any middle names for... smile

LuLuLovesYou Thu 14-Mar-13 17:40:06

Sunshine I was thinking maybe
Pearl Clementine
Pearl Violet
Pearl Iris
Pearl Ophelia
Pearl India
Pearl Juno
Pearl Beatrix

As you can see we are nowhere near settled yet on a middle name but those are my faves. What are you thinking? smile

MidnightMasquerader Thu 14-Mar-13 17:52:12

I have an irrational(?) dislike of this name. It sounds so frumpy, middle-aged to me; way off old lady chic.

Plus, pearls... <meh> they're such a dated piece of jewellery. Add in the pearl necklace phenomenon and I dunno...

But I am clearly very much in the minority!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now