Josh short for....

(29 Posts)
iheartmycat Sun 10-Mar-13 01:37:52

Joseph? Is it too daft as I KNOW it's short for Joshua. But - I desperately want to name the baby (if its a boy) after my dad who died years ago.

I love love love the name Joseph, regardless of it being my dads name, but wouldn't feel comfortable with the baby being 'wee joe' so to speak. I also want my partner to have at least a slight say in naming his child!

So, we are thinking of putting Joseph on the birth certificate but calling him josh for short, as that's a name we also both love. Would people think its too stupid when its actually short for another name altogether?

Clary Tue 12-Mar-13 20:08:23

Yes.

Josh is short for Joshua. Why not use Joseph as a middle name?

Josh is very very very popular too - I am a secodnary teacher and I teach about eight; if I include my DCs' mates (they are 13 and under) that adds another half a dozen.

BTW Josephs are not always shortened. One of the Josephs I teach (there are a number of those too) is always called by his full name.

pollypanic Tue 12-Mar-13 14:44:28

I agree seeker. I love Joseph. Why shorten it? Your Dad was Joe, your son is Joseph.

Josh from Joseph, although I think is possible, sounds a little contrived.

Or just use Joshua. The biblical father-(grand)son link (clutching straws...) Joseph's son was Jesus which is the same name as Joshua (one is the Hebrew/English translation the other the Greek/English). See what I've done there?.....

Good luck!

seeker Mon 11-Mar-13 22:27:46

Why wouldn't you be comfortable with wee Joe? Particularly as your father is not longer with you?

My ds is Little Pat to his older Irish family- I think it's lovely.

Just call him Joseph. Fab name.

pollypanic Mon 11-Mar-13 22:24:53

I know a Josephine who is called Josh. She's Irish, so I don't know if it is an Irish thing? It confuses a lot of people since she is a female Josh - not a problem you'll have.

WormCanner Mon 11-Mar-13 21:55:11

Joss can be short for Jocelyn which can be either male or female name. Joss Ackland is a well-known male actor.

Or there's this fellow whose full name does appear to be Joseph.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joss_Whedon

If you do go for Joseph, there'll always be a risk that some people will call him "Joe", and he might even prefer it himself. But you might find that you don't mind when it comes to it.

MortifiedAdams Mon 11-Mar-13 21:37:59

Tbf, I cant think.how.some accepted nicknames came to be:
*Harry for.Henry
*Sacha for Alexandra
*Peggy for Margaret

Josh as a nn for Joseph is.nowhere near as odd as the ones above.

nectarini1983 Mon 11-Mar-13 21:32:38

Josh is short for Joshua. ..end of.

I knew someone called Sarah who liked to be called Sam and I still think its ridiculous!

Joseph can be Joe or Jos.

Or as suggested have Joseph as middle name?

iheartmycat Mon 11-Mar-13 21:21:01

Interesting that everybody is saying go for jos....that was my original plan but dp is convinced it's a girls name and unfortunately the only joss I could think of was joss stone! We can't go for any combination of j-j as we have a pet called that.

Sod it, I love Joseph as it is. Dp can just deal with it!!!

everlong Mon 11-Mar-13 14:56:47

Just call him Joseph wink

WormCanner Mon 11-Mar-13 12:17:15

Jos. is the traditional abbreviation of Joseph, so I would go with calling him Jos (or Joss) as a nn. It's not Joe and it's not a long way from Josh.

NowPlayingZone Mon 11-Mar-13 10:05:26

It's a bit daft.
Joshua Joseph would be better IMO

Gumps Sun 10-Mar-13 21:38:05

I like jose as a shortening for Joseph.
I see the tribute in calling him Joseph after your dad but think it defeats the purpose if you are not actually going to call him it and may as well have it as a middle name.
I like josh as a shortening for Jonathan and like the double j so Jonathan Joseph?

Shoppinglist Sun 10-Mar-13 21:31:57

Also Seph is another nickname.

badtime Sun 10-Mar-13 15:05:22

I was also going to suggest Joss.

He could also be Joey rather than Joe.

Thistledew Sun 10-Mar-13 14:23:22

I know a Joseph, shortened to Joss.

Still18atheart Sun 10-Mar-13 14:20:24

nope imo

Joshua = Josh
Joseph = Joe

WIWD would be to call him Joseph Joshua on the bc then use Joshua for everyday, then call him Josh as a result of that.

But even that sounds a bit too daft complicated and confusing

TheFallenMadonna Sun 10-Mar-13 14:01:23

I used to teach a Jos, who was Joseph in full.

Welovegrapes Sun 10-Mar-13 13:57:20

Don't do that - weird.

Just call him Joshua Joseph

PrincessOfChina Sun 10-Mar-13 13:54:33

I dunno, not too bonkers to my mind. My ex was Jonathan but always known as Josh.

OkayHazel Sun 10-Mar-13 13:49:16

I really like Joshua Joseph!

TobyLerone Sun 10-Mar-13 10:00:51

Nope. It's bonkers.

LentilAsAnything Sun 10-Mar-13 09:59:29

I think it's perfectly fine. JOSepH. Do it. And he has other nickname options, should he so wish.

mammmamia Sun 10-Mar-13 04:45:11

My friend has done something similar and named her DS Joseph after her grandad, his middle name is James so he's always known as JJ
Not to everyone's taste but you could do something like that?

iheartmycat Sun 10-Mar-13 03:46:15

Thanks for the comments, I,d rather find out now that people think its daft,lol!!, it's definitely going to be Joseph, not keen on Joshua despite liking josh! I guess I could just use Joseph in its full form and hope he doesn't shorten it to joe himself when he is older! smile

anonymosity Sun 10-Mar-13 02:27:57

Your kid, you call him whatever you like.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now