Josh short for....

(29 Posts)
iheartmycat Sun 10-Mar-13 01:37:52

Joseph? Is it too daft as I KNOW it's short for Joshua. But - I desperately want to name the baby (if its a boy) after my dad who died years ago.

I love love love the name Joseph, regardless of it being my dads name, but wouldn't feel comfortable with the baby being 'wee joe' so to speak. I also want my partner to have at least a slight say in naming his child!

So, we are thinking of putting Joseph on the birth certificate but calling him josh for short, as that's a name we also both love. Would people think its too stupid when its actually short for another name altogether?

pollypanic Mon 11-Mar-13 22:24:53

I know a Josephine who is called Josh. She's Irish, so I don't know if it is an Irish thing? It confuses a lot of people since she is a female Josh - not a problem you'll have.

seeker Mon 11-Mar-13 22:27:46

Why wouldn't you be comfortable with wee Joe? Particularly as your father is not longer with you?

My ds is Little Pat to his older Irish family- I think it's lovely.

Just call him Joseph. Fab name.

pollypanic Tue 12-Mar-13 14:44:28

I agree seeker. I love Joseph. Why shorten it? Your Dad was Joe, your son is Joseph.

Josh from Joseph, although I think is possible, sounds a little contrived.

Or just use Joshua. The biblical father-(grand)son link (clutching straws...) Joseph's son was Jesus which is the same name as Joshua (one is the Hebrew/English translation the other the Greek/English). See what I've done there?.....

Good luck!

Clary Tue 12-Mar-13 20:08:23

Yes.

Josh is short for Joshua. Why not use Joseph as a middle name?

Josh is very very very popular too - I am a secodnary teacher and I teach about eight; if I include my DCs' mates (they are 13 and under) that adds another half a dozen.

BTW Josephs are not always shortened. One of the Josephs I teach (there are a number of those too) is always called by his full name.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now