If your parents / in-laws had named your children... ?

(47 Posts)
WhoPaintedTheLion Wed 06-Mar-13 21:05:09

Both sets of grandparents had their suggestions. If I had let them chose, I would have

DD1: Chantelle Jennifer (my mother's and MIL's choices)
DD2: Jasmine Lola (fil and father).

Their names are very, very different to those! It tickled me when I remembered that today.

olivertheoctopus Thu 07-Mar-13 14:02:57

My parents have been very keen on Thomas with all our DS's. Nothing wrong with it per se but we have a v dull common surname and it would just be a bit 'meh'. Don't ever remember MIL suggesting any names but they would have been rejected!

LentilAsAnything Thu 07-Mar-13 18:00:58

DH and I like names that are quite outside the top 100, so thought the likelihood of anyone guessing them would be very low. We have a name for a DD, should we ever get one, and a back up five girls' names should we get twins-sextuplets girls! Of the five spare names we have, PIL have guessed one each!

I have loved the name Rochana since I knew a girl with that name at college 20+ years ago. DH likes the Rocky films. One night, FIL was round and Rocky was on, and FIL said 'Hey, if you have a boy you could call him Rocky, and Rochana for a girl'! I was shock! Rochana is hardly a name most people have even heard of! I think FIL made it up!
And then the other time, DH was interviewing for a job and the woman he was liaising with was called Tatiana. I have loved this name for years. MIL pipes up, 'Ooh, that's a lovely name, you should put it on your list!'

WildRumpus Thu 07-Mar-13 19:02:39

MIL lobbied hard for Kate or John when I was pg with our first. She looked like she was sucking on a lemon when we told her the actual name (foreign, several syllables, not just outside top 100 but actually outside the top 4000 in this country - ie weird!). She didn't bother lobbying for DC2. And by DC3 she seemed to think we were a lost cause but actually loved the name we chose.

Shesparkles Thu 07-Mar-13 19:07:05

We didn't have any suggestions, but had I been born a boy, I'd have been Robbie, which co-incidentally I wanted for ds but dh put the kibosh on <STILL glaring at dh about it 10 years later >

Wossname Thu 07-Mar-13 19:11:58

Pauline. This was 2 years ago.

I hate to think - If I had been a boy I was going to be Dougall Niall. shock

WeAreEternal Thu 07-Mar-13 19:29:49

My parents would have gone for something like Kyle or Joshua or Daniel apparently.

I dread to think what MIL would have chosen. her four youngest are called Lxie (yes it is spelt wrong, MIL is a moron its intentional) Kenzo, Tanysia and kai.
they are 14, 10, 7, and 4.
she is in her very late 50 and trying for another apparently

Thankfully DP has a 'boring' name as he his brother and sister were all adopted and so were already named with ordinary names when she "got them" (as she loves to tell people)

Bowlersarm Thu 07-Mar-13 19:31:50

Mil liked Imogen and Joseph. I wasn't keen on either at the time but strangely enough love Joseph now and half wished we'd gone with it. DM I can't remember commenting at all on names. Our first choice of name was Jack, which she liked, but we didn't go on to use it in the end

Wossname Thu 07-Mar-13 19:36:05

Lxie shock

Stixswhichtwizzle Thu 07-Mar-13 22:21:37

My 'D'm suggested Tiffany for my pfb! My lovely MIL said she'd named her children and was sure any name we picked would be lovely. I luff her. True fact.
My FIL had waaaay to many 'helpful' suggestions.

MsAkimbo Thu 07-Mar-13 22:35:56

Sailor for a girl. Not even kidding.

whyno Fri 08-Mar-13 12:40:11

My mum suggested Fanny. She genuinely wasn't joking.

Debs1990 Sat 09-Mar-13 14:18:21

My mum liked Alan as that's what I would have been called if I was a boy. My step dad suggested John and DP's grandma liked Dwayne!

OkayHazel Sat 09-Mar-13 15:58:45

Mum was desperate for Hermione!

Debs1990 Sat 09-Mar-13 16:13:08

I love the name Hermione but would never be brave enough to use it.

Gugglebum Sat 09-Mar-13 19:26:05

Mil I never would have asked since all she ever offered was how much she disliked whatever we suggested or did. If my mum had named my daughter, I'd have a Lily Rose. I actually like flower names, but that is a bit overkill for me.

BeeBopDingALing Sat 09-Mar-13 19:37:51

I have no idea. MIL would have probably named DD after herself because she is the most important person in the world. I'll ask next time I see her. I think it would have been quite a boring/traditional/family name though.

nectarini1983 Sat 09-Mar-13 20:16:21

Crystal and Skye are mine and my daughter's middle names ha ha!

nectarini1983 Sat 09-Mar-13 20:18:58

WildRumpus.... im intrigued as to what your first child's name is now..!!! Go on, spill.....

Arithmeticulous Sat 09-Mar-13 20:25:05

In 1970, my dad wanted to call my brother Micro. We didn't discuss names with him. Not that we discussed names with our mothers either- it was more the case of making a note of their suggestions and crossing them off our list.

MolotovCocktail Sat 09-Mar-13 20:40:02

My Mom wanted Tallulah for DD1 and Lily for DD2. I remember she was actually quite peeved that we didn't name DD1 Tallulah. The day before I gave birth she tried to change my mind about the name we chose for her. That was naughty.

MolotovCocktail Sat 09-Mar-13 20:42:59

Oh, MIL wanted Lily, too - for both DDs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now