Joint webchat with Conservative and Labour housing minister and shadow housing minister, MONDAY 2 MARCH 1pm x

Lola as a nickname for Penelope?

(9 Posts)
Bluestocking Wed 06-Mar-13 21:06:58

<sorry to hi-jack>
Erik, I was just thinking today how sad it is that the good old term "naff" seems to have fallen into disuse. It's so perfectly descriptive.

PaulaPixie Wed 06-Mar-13 21:01:10

Penelope is Penny?

ErikNorseman Wed 06-Mar-13 19:43:13

Sorry misread. He hates Penelope so why bother naming her something he won't call her?

ErikNorseman Wed 06-Mar-13 19:42:26

Umm no they are completely different. If you hate Penelope then don't name your child it. Pick a full name that you love and a nickname will flow from that. Forced nicknames are naffola.

MoonHare Wed 06-Mar-13 16:27:12

That really is a stretch and what would be the point of putting Penelope on the birth cert only to call her by a completely different name?

Just choose a name you both like, there's no need to give your child a nick name.

MolotovCocktail Wed 06-Mar-13 16:24:15

It's a bit of a stretch for me, sorry. I think of Penny and Nell (LOVE Nell) as NNs for Penelope.

Lola is a gorgeous name but it is quite different in sound and connotation to Penelope. I do like Etta as a name on it's own. You might be able to tell that I adore 'funky vintage' names judging from my love on Nell, Etta and Lola! smile

phoenixfox Wed 06-Mar-13 15:39:49

I love love love Harriet but have a nephew called Harry. I do like Tabitha but think tabby is just a cats name! Also my mother and father in law can't pronounce it!

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Wed 06-Mar-13 14:53:17

Not familiar with that nn, for Penelope, sorry.
Love Beatrix.
Tabitha < well impressed> that is a pretty far out choice by your DH, like it myself.

How about Seraphina, Harriet (Hattie) or Georgina (Georgie, Gina)?

phoenixfox Wed 06-Mar-13 14:41:18

Is it a bit of a stretch? I love Penelope but DH doesn't. I think I could scrape it by him with with Lola as a nickname. My other choices are Henrietta (Etta), or Beatrix (Bea). His favourite is Tabitha but I hate tabby!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now