honest (but kind) baby name opinions please.

(77 Posts)
ldt87 Tue 05-Mar-13 20:43:20

Hi everyone. My husband and i are discussing baby names at the moment. Its still early days in my pregnancy but we enjoy talking about all we can anyway. Its taken us nearly 2 years to conceive so no time like the present to start planning! Anyway the names we seem to agree on are:

Isabella paige
Jacob Philip

Can you all let me know what you think of these names and if there are any associations i should know about. We are open to suggestions except from Philip which is my dads name.

gerbilsarefun Thu 07-Mar-13 17:16:00

I like both names, good classic names, although I do prefer Isobel to Isabella. Nothing wrong, IMO, with calling a child a popular name, I have a Rebecca.

Please don't use Neeve. If you like the name, spell it properly, Niamh.

Varya Thu 07-Mar-13 17:37:43

Am now hooked on Jolyon for a boy (honest and kind) and Jocelyn for a girl (ditto)

Varya Thu 07-Mar-13 17:42:02

Vanessa comes to mind now ...............

BlingBubbles Thu 07-Mar-13 17:49:32

We have a Isabella grin and have yet to meet another one. Don't like Paige as a middle name, we were going to call our DD Isabella poppy but my MIL died while I was pregnant so we used her name as DD's middle name instead of poppy. I also love Francesca, Frankie for short.

For me boys names are so difficult, I don't like Jacob, I don't know why I just don't. Can't help you out with boys name unfortunately, god help me if I ever have a boy.

MortifiedAdams Thu 07-Mar-13 17:53:09

Ooh was just about to suggest Phoebe but see you are considering it yourself.

I like Phoebe Isabella.

Boys wise im not fussed on your name (but then I dont need to be grin ). Wjat about Henry Phillip?

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Thu 07-Mar-13 18:10:47

<Runs in, shouts> Chloe? <Runs out again>.

ldt87 Thu 07-Mar-13 18:28:44

Added chloe to my list and phoebe, i think this will end up being a situation where we meet baby before deciding on a final name. It frustrates me in a way because both girls had names before birth, but in this case, i think we will just end up with a short list.

bouncysmiley Sat 09-Mar-13 22:22:25

Isabelle Paige is lovely but Jacob is waaay too popular

everlong Sat 09-Mar-13 22:30:42

Not keen on Paige.

But the others are nice.

shockers Sat 09-Mar-13 22:51:28

I love the name Philippa, but I could be biased wink.

DonderandBlitzen Sun 10-Mar-13 17:51:56

I like Isabella, Jacob and Philip, but not Paige.

INeverSaidThat Sun 10-Mar-13 17:56:05

Both lovely but both were the number 1 name in the US a few years ago. I don't think that matters though smile

Isabella is very popular but it is a lovely name.

PickleSarnie Sun 10-Mar-13 18:24:03

Love Maggie!

Misfit13 Sun 10-Mar-13 20:21:49

Philip shortened to Pip?
Philippa shortened to Pippa? (tho I prefer Penelope/Penny)
Don't think it's odd to use a parent's first name (or a derivative) - my dad is John; DS2 is Johnny.
Personally, I would hold out for Maggie - as that's what Johnny would have been had he been a girl - short for Mary-Margaret; Mary being my mum's name)
smile

ZolaBuddleia Mon 11-Mar-13 16:05:47

Of your list I like:

Isaac
Frankie (only for a boy)
Sebastian
Maggie
Jesse
Nate
Violet
Elliot

EvenIfYouSeeAPoppy Mon 11-Mar-13 16:12:17

Your boy's name is fab. Isabella is lovely, Paige isn't - very of its time.

Glaikit Mon 11-Mar-13 16:14:33

Love phoebe and maggie. Dh granny was maggie-bella (Margaret Isabella was too posh according to her father) but one of his cousins bred before us and nabbed maggie!

Phoebe was DSs name if he were a dd!

AmberSocks Mon 11-Mar-13 16:28:00

Jacob is a great name but soooo popular,there are 4 in my sons class,same as Isabelle,lovely but i feel its lost some of its loveliness as its getting more ad more overused.

ldt87 Mon 11-Mar-13 20:51:53

My husband is coming round to Maggie so it is firmly back on the list. Now looks as though it will be Maggie or Imogen for a girl, boys still a bit undecided. Christopher may be in the running for a boy.

ldt87 Mon 11-Mar-13 20:56:13

What's the general opinion on the name Nathaniel or Nathan Nickname Nate?

almapudden Mon 11-Mar-13 21:05:48

I like Isabella and Philip. Not keen on Jacob (boring) or Paige (a bit, well, common).

nectarini1983 Mon 11-Mar-13 21:42:20

Are you a twilight fan??

Bella and Jacob?? You just need Edward and youve got a set.

I dont like Paige for some reason but better than Rose/ May ... the usual drab middle names.

I know a Nathaniel who is always that in full. I wouldn't use it but I like it. I do not like Nathan - feels dated and a bit geeky.

I really wanted Christopher nn Kit for DS2 but DH talked me out of it. Like it a lot.

ldt87 Mon 11-Mar-13 21:59:02

Not a twilight fan nectar its pure coincidence and actually puts me off. I haven't even seen the films or read the books! The middle name will be a proper stand alone name rather than a filler if you know what i mean. What it is just depends on the first name.

The only family name i have left i would like to use is glenda after my grandma, which i would not in a million years name a baby! Have considered glen for a middle name though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now