DS not liking our first choice for DD...

(22 Posts)

I chose my sisters middle name, Rose. I would have been Rosa if born a day earlier.

Catchingmockingbirds Mon 04-Mar-13 14:19:25

Yes, 6yr old DS doesn't like our chosen first name for dd, he prefers her middle name, but I'm sure he'll grow to love it.

olivertheoctopus Mon 04-Mar-13 13:59:30

He'll get his head round it. DS1 (now 4.5) was instrumental in helping me get my name choice for DS2 (just turned 2) past DH who wasn't so keen. And this time we have read him the shortlist (can it be a 'short'list if it has over 10 names on it...) and he is insistent which one he wants and we can't decide so will prob go with what he wants.

And anyway, PC Selby ISN'T called Martha (unless there are some unaired episodes of Postman Pat which involve PC Selby and a secret hobby...)

notso Mon 04-Mar-13 13:53:47

DD and DS1 were 11 and 6 when we had DS2 and 16 months later we had DS3. They hated every single name DH and I suggested, however now DS2 and 3 are here, they love them and their names, though DS1 does keep saying DS2 looks like a Monty!

I did push the babies out but with the last two I was so shocked from the quick labours DH ended up deciding their names!

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Mon 04-Mar-13 13:22:38

Lots of brainwashing with Martha this and Martha that from now on, OP. He may well adapt it or give her his own pet name anyway.

Bejeena Mon 04-Mar-13 13:03:09

Good grief my brother would have been Sweep if I had been allowed to chose!

ShowOfHands Sat 02-Mar-13 22:07:37

I was actually quite happy to let dd have a 'vote'. We were adding to our family, of which she is a significant part, she was 4.4 and old enough to have a sensible opinion (a year earlier, she might have named him Princess Fiona) and we had no firm ideas. I didn't push him out either, a surgeon removed him from me. Maybe she should have chosen. wink

DS is named after a ninja turtle.

sleepyhead Sat 02-Mar-13 21:20:01

Ds wanted Ben or Holly.

He doesn't get a vote. He's six.

Having said that, I've got a friend who was eventually named by his sisters for the simple reason that they refused to recognise the name their parents had chosen and just called him by the name they preferred.

Luckily it was on the parents' "list" anyway. It was 3 v 2 and their dogged persistence paid off. His original name is now his middle name grin

blondiep14 Sat 02-Mar-13 21:12:40

Same here Ruby!

DD isn't called Daisy tho and DS1 absolutely loves her name and writes it daily on scraps of paper and things he makes at school!

CanYouGetDownPlease Sat 02-Mar-13 21:11:14

This is a lovely book about a naughty little Martha! (Can't do tidy links on phone sorry)
www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1405249110/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1362258584&sr=8-1&pi=SL75

rubyslippers Sat 02-Mar-13 21:08:32

DS wanted to call DD Daisy

whoever pushes the baby out gets the deciding vote wink

pooka Sat 02-Mar-13 21:07:16

Diego?

ShowOfHands Sat 02-Mar-13 21:05:00

DD was 4.4 when we had her baby brother. She disliked our name choices so, er, we let her choose. grin

DS is named after her favourite cartoon character.

PaulaPixie Sat 02-Mar-13 21:02:40

Our choices are Martha for a girl and Arthur for a boy, our 3 children have other ideas but Strawberry (off Ben & Holly's Little Kingdom) and Ben 10, aren't options smile

Iseeall Sat 02-Mar-13 20:56:08

How sweet that he is interested and has imput. Don't forget, he won't be reading postman pat for long. Martha is a lovely name and you can remind him of this in years to come(in front of future girlfriends!)

MrsJollyPostman Sat 02-Mar-13 20:51:25

I find young children only like the names of their friends at nursery/play group etc.
I love Martha. Good choice!

SurreyWithAFringeOnTop Sat 02-Mar-13 20:21:20

DS1 vetoed every single name we suggested for DS2. We still used our favourite and he loves it. Four year olds can be very fickle smile

MrsMargoLeadbetter Sat 02-Mar-13 20:03:08

Thanks for the feedback and ideas.

A book with a Martha sounds good.

We have explained that Arthur isn't Martha but he still insists that it is/we cannot call her that etc!

Will think on!

ellesabe Sat 02-Mar-13 19:26:01

Can't you just correct him?

"No ds, PC Selby is called Arthur. Dd will be called Martha."

toobreathless Sat 02-Mar-13 19:23:39

Not experienced similar but he will get over it. Can you get a book with a Martha in to give him other Martha's to reference to?

How about involving him in middle name discussions? Choose 2 or 3 that you like and then let him choose? Think he will get far more into the whole name and embrace it if he feels involved.

Martha is lovely BTW.

Dysgu Sat 02-Mar-13 19:23:08

We have not mentioned any of our 'top' names to our DDs (aged 6 and 4) for DC3 due sometime before the end of next month. They often select possible names and will give their opinions on names that come up in conversation i.e. 'no you can't you that, I know * at (pre)school' type of thing.

TBH DP and I will be choosing the name and will simply tell the girls that we chose their names and so we will be naming this baby too!

I do sometimes ponder the idea of them each selecting a middle name but then... who knows what they would actually choose...

It's a hard one this naming babies thing!

Good luck.

MrsMargoLeadbetter Sat 02-Mar-13 19:18:25

Has anyone else received negative feedback on potential name choices from other DC?

Our first choice for DD - due June - is Martha. DS (4.5) firstly said "you cannot call her that as that is what PC Selby is called on Postman Pat". Turns out PC Selby is called Arthur.

Not sure I want a 4.5 deciding what we'll call her hmm but also don't want to dismiss his view completely.

Just wondered if anyone else has experienced similar? What did you do?

TIA

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now