Help on Girl's Name: Lena vs. Leyna

(7 Posts)
optionaltime Sat 02-Mar-13 06:58:47

Trying to decide between the names Lena and Leyna (both pronounced LAY-nah). Which do you prefer?

I don't like other pronunciations for Lena (LEH-na and LEE-na) as much as LAY-nah for some reason. I think Leyna has a clearer pronunciation, but I'm afraid it looks a bit made up. Can't decide- both names have good and bad qualities I think!

BQ:
I haven't decided for sure, but I may want Lena/Leyna to be a nickname for Colleen. Is Leyna too big a difference from Colleen to qualify as an actual moniker?

Thanks in advance!

MN044 Sat 02-Mar-13 07:04:33

I don't think it works for Coleen at all. But I'd go for Lena. I know a lovely one in real life, and I think the mispronunciation is just something she lives with

BikeRunSki Sat 02-Mar-13 07:11:24

I think it only works as a nn for Colleen if you have the LEE-na pronounciation, and even so it's a bit tenuous. I prefer Lena (LEE-na) of the choices, think Leyna looks made up.

Elena?

ErikNorseman Sat 02-Mar-13 13:34:29

Leyna looks totally made up. Lena is nice. I hate forced nicknames and I think Lena for Coleen is really forced.

BabyRoger Sat 02-Mar-13 13:45:50

I don't think lena is a nick name for colleen.

I've never heard lena pronounced any way other than lee na.

Lana?

Lostonthemoors Sat 02-Mar-13 13:49:06

I think if you want Lay-na pronunciation you can't go for Colleen - doesn't work. Leyna looks awful and lena IME is pronounced Lee-na.

If you want Lay-na pronunciation I would go for Elena or Helena nn Lena pronounced Lay-na.

EllenJaneisstillnotmyname Sat 02-Mar-13 14:18:31

My grand niece is called Leyna, pronounced Lay-nah, and it's grown on me. But not as a nickname for Colleen, surely, as that has quite a different pronunciation. Her GM is called Elaine, so it's a bit of a nod towards her. Trouble with Helena is that I can be pronounced Hel en ah or Hel ay nah.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now