Llewellyn

(15 Posts)
mayanna123 Mon 04-Mar-13 12:20:11

I like the loook of Llewellyn.

Also think Orion is a cool, strong sounding name. Bernard is probably due a comeback very soon!

olivertheoctopus Mon 04-Mar-13 10:03:31

PS My Sis and her IL's (not Welsh, well not for a few generations anyway) just pronounce it L at the start, not the Welsh Ll sound (the sound which sounds a bit like someone spitting!)

olivertheoctopus Mon 04-Mar-13 10:02:05

It's my sis's married surname and I can never spell it right! I have to check where the second e goes every time. Can't see it as a first name but then I'm not Welsh.

MidnightMasquerader Mon 04-Mar-13 08:10:53

What is the correct pronunciation, out of interest? I'm Antipodean, so please excuse my ignorance. smile

Bernard is Not Good. I'm put in mind of either the mustachio'd wedding-day shagger in 4 Weddings ... or Nursie in Blackadder. Neither are great associations, to be fair. grin

PaulaPixie Sat 02-Mar-13 21:21:14

Llewelyn, a Welsh King, strong male name, beautiful whether pronounced with a Ll or not. Lovely choice x

Selks Sat 02-Mar-13 16:32:45

Ziggy?? Just no. shock

selsigfach Sat 02-Mar-13 16:29:35

It's lovely there are plenty of non-Welsh speakers even here in Gwynedd who won't pronounce it properly.
How about Celyn?

whippetwoman Fri 01-Mar-13 19:55:06

It's my surname. Not an easy one for people to spell...

Cwtchbach Thu 28-Feb-13 20:39:25

I love it but agree it needs to be pronounced properly, if the Ll isn't said properly it can sound Glewelyn - ew.

MyThumbsHaveGoneWeird Thu 28-Feb-13 20:16:34

It's very very welsh considering your other choices aren't. Can you pronounce the Ll sound?

BeeBopDingALing Thu 28-Feb-13 19:32:46

First thought was of that decorator guy.
Dashiel - Not keen
Bernard - Yuck, smelly old man.
Orion - Cool
Ziggy - Cool

pegster Thu 28-Feb-13 19:26:02

I love Llewellyn but agree you need to be in Wales where people will pronounce it correctly or it sounds awful. I like that the shortening Llew means lion
Not keen on the any of the others though sorry

OpheliasWeepingWillow Thu 28-Feb-13 19:25:09

Love it

They'll be called Llew though

cantfindadecentusername Thu 28-Feb-13 19:24:01

I don't dislike it but it sounds like a surname to me. I have a few Welsh friends with that surname. Also, I suppose it depends if you are Welsh, live in Wales and want it to be pronounced properly with the Welsh double L sound. I think Llewellyn with an English accent sounds pretty awful. But in Wales with a Welsh accent is much nicer.

Not keen on the others I'm afraid. Bernard a bit too old man but not in a cool way. Orion and Ziggy i think sound a bit too try hard. Dashiel is ok. Dash could be quite a cool nick name.

pineapplesherbert Thu 28-Feb-13 14:52:03

Do you like this name?
Others on our list are:

Dashiel
Bernard
Orion
Ziggy

Thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now