Do you like this name?
Others on our list are:

Dashiel
Bernard
Orion
Ziggy

Thanks!

cantfindadecentusername Thu 28-Feb-13 19:24:01

I don't dislike it but it sounds like a surname to me. I have a few Welsh friends with that surname. Also, I suppose it depends if you are Welsh, live in Wales and want it to be pronounced properly with the Welsh double L sound. I think Llewellyn with an English accent sounds pretty awful. But in Wales with a Welsh accent is much nicer.

Not keen on the others I'm afraid. Bernard a bit too old man but not in a cool way. Orion and Ziggy i think sound a bit too try hard. Dashiel is ok. Dash could be quite a cool nick name.

OpheliasWeepingWillow Thu 28-Feb-13 19:25:09

Love it

They'll be called Llew though

pegster Thu 28-Feb-13 19:26:02

I love Llewellyn but agree you need to be in Wales where people will pronounce it correctly or it sounds awful. I like that the shortening Llew means lion
Not keen on the any of the others though sorry

BeeBopDingALing Thu 28-Feb-13 19:32:46

First thought was of that decorator guy.
Dashiel - Not keen
Bernard - Yuck, smelly old man.
Orion - Cool
Ziggy - Cool

MyThumbsHaveGoneWeird Thu 28-Feb-13 20:16:34

It's very very welsh considering your other choices aren't. Can you pronounce the Ll sound?

Cwtchbach Thu 28-Feb-13 20:39:25

I love it but agree it needs to be pronounced properly, if the Ll isn't said properly it can sound Glewelyn - ew.

whippetwoman Fri 01-Mar-13 19:55:06

It's my surname. Not an easy one for people to spell...

selsigfach Sat 02-Mar-13 16:29:35

It's lovely there are plenty of non-Welsh speakers even here in Gwynedd who won't pronounce it properly.
How about Celyn?

Selks Sat 02-Mar-13 16:32:45

Ziggy?? Just no. shock

PaulaPixie Sat 02-Mar-13 21:21:14

Llewelyn, a Welsh King, strong male name, beautiful whether pronounced with a Ll or not. Lovely choice x

MidnightMasquerader Mon 04-Mar-13 08:10:53

What is the correct pronunciation, out of interest? I'm Antipodean, so please excuse my ignorance. smile

Bernard is Not Good. I'm put in mind of either the mustachio'd wedding-day shagger in 4 Weddings ... or Nursie in Blackadder. Neither are great associations, to be fair. grin

olivertheoctopus Mon 04-Mar-13 10:02:05

It's my sis's married surname and I can never spell it right! I have to check where the second e goes every time. Can't see it as a first name but then I'm not Welsh.

olivertheoctopus Mon 04-Mar-13 10:03:31

PS My Sis and her IL's (not Welsh, well not for a few generations anyway) just pronounce it L at the start, not the Welsh Ll sound (the sound which sounds a bit like someone spitting!)

mayanna123 Mon 04-Mar-13 12:20:11

I like the loook of Llewellyn.

Also think Orion is a cool, strong sounding name. Bernard is probably due a comeback very soon!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now