Naomi

(46 Posts)
HavingALittleFaithBaby Wed 27-Feb-13 11:39:26

How would you pronounce Naomi? Nay-oh-mee? Or Ny-oh-mee? Or even Nayo-mee? I really like it but am worried it'll never get pronounced how I hear it!

dimdommilpot Wed 01-May-13 19:49:00

My best friend at jr school was naomi pronounced nay-oh-mi

thermalsinapril Wed 01-May-13 19:35:57

NAY-ah-me

CremeEggThief Wed 01-May-13 19:22:13

Ny-oh-mee here, unless I know it's pronounced Nay.

Leafmould Mon 29-Apr-13 23:48:03

The Spanish variant is noemi. Only one way to pronounce that!

And if you go to Spain she will probably be called noemi anyway!

Sarah0378 Mon 22-Apr-13 12:49:34

Nay-oh-mee. Lovely name.

jellybeans Sun 21-Apr-13 23:51:49

I like it. All the ones I know are Nay oh me. But people sometimes call them Nye oh me. They also often get Nay for short. But I know one who gets Omi. Also how about Leonie?

MammaGnomes Sun 21-Apr-13 21:06:16

I'm Naomi and its nay oh mee!! Hate it when people say niy oh me - there's an A after the N ffs!! Both step parents get it wrong my stepdad has been in my life since I was 10 an we are constantly correcting him ha ha

And I'm saved in all my OH friends phones as I MOAN ha ha middle name is Anne and I have 2 sisters Bethany and Maisie and a brother Niall if it helps smile

HoneyandRum Fri 01-Mar-13 22:34:29

Lydia, (love Lydia) is biblical although I also love Naomi, we have one in our extended family.

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Fri 01-Mar-13 11:29:47

Have seen an actress called Mayim, (name is of hebrew origin meaning 'water').

Bue Fri 01-Mar-13 10:59:19

I say it somewhere between Ny-OH-mee and Nay-OH-mee. I think it's a very subtly difference. I've never heard it pronounced with the stress anywhere but the second syllable though. It's a great, timeless name.

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Fri 01-Mar-13 10:19:15

I know a Naomi who is a lovely caring girl so happy associations for me and apparently the name means pleasant, delightful.

Her family have always said Nay-yo-me if that helps!

Delilah is another Biblical name I like if a bit exotic.

ShepherdsSpy Fri 01-Mar-13 09:22:30

nay o mee from me, very pretty.

But Miriam is also stunnng, under used and easy to spell and pronounce.

steppemum Fri 01-Mar-13 00:01:26

I love Naomi, very pretty name

LackaDAISYcal Fri 01-Mar-13 00:00:44

I like th name and would pronounce it nay-oh-may There is one in my DS's nursery class and her mum pronounces it nye-oh-me and it just sounds wrong to my ears.

DS, calls her My-Oh-Me which sounds really cute as they are really good chums grin

mrstowers Thu 28-Feb-13 23:54:16

Boys will always pronounce it I MOAN!

Where I live (up north) it is pronounced either nay oh mee or nigh oh mee. I really like both actually.

There is a Naomi in dd's nursery class who dd calls Nay roam ee. Sounds very sweet when she says it.

People will always mispronounce names I'm afraid. Dd is Madeleine ... Don't even get me started! grin

If you like it, then go for it. Pronounce it how YOU like it.

HavingALittleFaithBaby Thu 28-Feb-13 20:16:10

Gnome and Gnomi are really cute! smile

Yep. DD1 gets Gnome and Gnomi a lot - she likes it!

Bakingtins Thu 28-Feb-13 19:00:19

I forgot Abigail! Another lovely name.
I think Elizabeth has so many NNs, she could be Liz, Lizzy, Beth, Eliza, Libby etc, it's very versatile.

HavingALittleFaithBaby Thu 28-Feb-13 17:48:49

I really like Elizabeth, they're on the maybe list. DH did say it was a bit 'posh' (inverted snob!). The second two are my and my sister's names! smile we also like Abigail.

Spoonful Thu 28-Feb-13 17:29:59

I love Naomi and would pronounce it the way you say.

Bakingtins Thu 28-Feb-13 17:27:23

How about Esther, Elizabeth, Hannah, Rebecca, Martha, Miriam?

HavingALittleFaithBaby Thu 28-Feb-13 17:11:44

Ooh no, not Anna, terrible associations!

Theas18 Thu 28-Feb-13 16:44:28

Anna is a fab Biblical name with (at least for me) no sort of preconceptions -as is Naomi. That was really important for me naming my child. I didn't want them to think, for instance " grace" that'll be a pretty ballerina or a child (no idea why, Grace Darling certainly wasn't , out there in a boat doing her bit, but you know what I mean).

Anna could be the pretties frilliest fairy dress wearing little girl, or the tomboy in the mud, a punk/emo etc teen , the mechanic at the garage, a surgeon, teacher or stay at home mum.

If you don't use Naomi (great name) and Ruth isn't good, try Anna and see if it fits!

HavingALittleFaithBaby Thu 28-Feb-13 16:24:04

Ruth wouldn't be an ideal choice for us because we have a one syllable surname so it would sound too blunt. It's also a friend's name so it might be weird!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now