hyphenated first name?

(63 Posts)
ditsydoll Wed 27-Feb-13 08:41:54

DH and I have decided on Ella Rose (surname) ,however I actually prefer the name when it's hyphenated so her first name would be Ella-Rose.

Has anyone hyphenated their children's first name?

BikeRunSki Sat 02-Mar-13 07:56:47

Ella Rose or Ella-Rose, but you can't put a capital letter in the middle of a name (apart from MN screen names of course... wink).

I only know one person with a hyphenated first name. She is vair, posh. Has always been known by everyone as an abbreviation of the second name. Along the lines of Anne-Elizabeth, known as Lizzie.

MolotovCocktail Sat 02-Mar-13 07:49:28

And, that disdainful view can't be that common anyway - there have been as many positive responses to Ella-Rose as there have been negative.

MolotovCocktail Sat 02-Mar-13 07:46:59

Ah, but you see, just because it's a common view, doesn't mean it's right.

And it is merely a viewpoint. You've highlighted a really narrow way of naming, one I'm so glad that not everyone follows.

ErikNorseman Sat 02-Mar-13 07:35:45

A name that suits an adult as much as a a child
A name with meaning
A name that doesn't cause people to think wtf (witness gypsy-Kate)
A name that is not excessively sweet/sickly such as tallulah-belle and the ilk
No yooneeq spellings

That's a basic guide to avoiding terrible names. There are more guidelines but I won't go on. And please don't think I'm alone in my name disdain - it's a very common view.

MolotovCocktail Sat 02-Mar-13 07:21:27

I'm very curious as to what Erik considers 'good taste' names to be ...

sweetkitty Fri 01-Mar-13 23:15:50

I have a hyphenated name and I hate it for all the reasons someone stated further down, some computer systems don't recognise hyphens at all, the second part of my name could be my surname which complicates things too.

Cathycat Fri 01-Mar-13 22:55:44

My son's class have about 12 hyphenated girls. I can't remember whos who. I just know they have a hyphen.

gwenniebee Fri 01-Mar-13 22:44:47

I taught two Ella-Roses and both of them were known as Ella-Rose by everyone. I never heard anyone calling either girl just Ella.

baskingseals Fri 01-Mar-13 22:39:01

i don't know if it matters whether names are perceived to be in good or bad taste.

i think there is something romantic in calling your daughter Lilac-Belle - i may not chose to do it myself, but i am glad that other people do.

tigerdriverII Fri 01-Mar-13 22:34:07

I used to work with someone called Annemarie. Not Anne-Marie or even Anne Marie. Have to admit it did my head in! Personally I really dislike the Molly Mae type names (Mae - what is that all about?). But that is just me smile

ErikNorseman Fri 01-Mar-13 22:27:17

Gypsy-Kate hmm
Yes it clearly is a matter of taste. And that's not taste. Not good taste, anyway.

baskingseals Fri 01-Mar-13 20:41:48

i agree with molotov. it depends on the name.

i know a Gypsy-Kate, which i think is a lovely name. i think Ella-Rose is pretty, but quite popular, but i don't think that really matters if you love the name.

MolotovCocktail Fri 01-Mar-13 09:27:56

It's clearly a question of taste and what individuals prefer. I love the suggestions of Lily-Rose, Lily-Ella, Tallulah-Belle, Lola-Rose.

I strongly disagree with the "hillbilly" statement made upthread: IMO, this connotation depends upon the names used rather than the fact of a hyphenated name (to me, Demi-Lee is not a particualarly nice name, but Lula-Belle is).

I think hyphens mark an evolution in naming trends - some will want to be part of it, others not. Such is life!

ErikNorseman Fri 01-Mar-13 08:33:53

IMO there is a difference between Sarah-Jane or similar 70s-80s era hyphenated names and the current trend which is infinitely more twee. Anything at all with the 'ae' sound just makes it sound excessively cute and like a little girl's nickname. Rose or belle are just gilding the lily, too pretty, especially when teamed with another 'pretty' (ie flower or similar) name (lily-rose, Lula-belle, Lola-rose, tallulah-belle, etc). Then you have the bodging of two names together that don't even flow, like Courtney-Madison or similar. They are all just so naff.

VinegarDrinker Fri 01-Mar-13 08:18:01

Lol at hyphenated names not being suitable for a doctor. Hasn't stopped me!

mrstowers Thu 28-Feb-13 23:48:33

Hyphenated names have become really overly popular where I live. I have heard parents actually quite distressed because they can't think of a second name to go with the first when hypenated. Er, it doesn't have to be hypenated. We've had first name-May, first name-Rose, first name-Grace, first name-Rae, first name-Belle. Really really overly popular.

amck5700 Thu 28-Feb-13 23:38:55

Lovely name, don't have strong feelings about hyphens either way, except when it comes to emails. In a work environment people who have hyphens, apostrophes etc are a pain in the butt when you are trying to email them grin

I have one colleague who has a non hyphenated but could be hyphenated name - with both names having 2 spelling options and she tops that off with an apostrophed surname - I hate her!! Not really cos she is lovely It's not her fault, but every time the IT people set up an email address they use a different style - sometimes they leave a gap between the two first names, sometimes they don't , sometimes they chuck a hyphen in - and then comes the surname, is it a gap, no gap or an actual apostrophe....or even an underscore?!?! I guess you get the picture!

UnrequitedSkink Thu 28-Feb-13 23:10:57

It's just a bit naff innit?

getmeoutofthismadhouse Thu 28-Feb-13 22:52:38

I wanted Lily-Ella for my DD and my exP vetoed it saying the double names are cute when they are little but as solicitors or doctors or high level jobs would it still be a nice name for a 30+ woman ... same with Georgia-Lily which she ended up with but shes Georgia middle name Lily on her birth certificate for that reason.

GW297 Thu 28-Feb-13 22:47:11

Moonlightandroses - I agree. Aesthetically it looks much better with a hyphen.

wonkylegs Thu 28-Feb-13 22:45:36

My cousin has a hyphenated name both parts of which are unusual. She's always known by the full name and it's generally accepted. It's a very unusual combination but she does live in California with friends with much weirder names.

It's a really pretty name. No idea why, but for some reason using the hyphen makes it look more 'complete' IYSWIM? Doesn't really matter for the spoken version(s), but, to me, is much more elegant on paper as Ella-Rose, rather than Ella Rose.

mmmmsleep Thu 28-Feb-13 22:41:00

OP sorry if i seemed a bit harsh. Ella-Rose is lovely and many hyphenated names are. On the continent my hyphenated name is very common and wouldn't have been an issue. i just found it a bit of a drag having it in uk esp growing up as it is vv rare here hence sharing my views. If you love it go for it. Good luck with the birth.

BananaHammocks Thu 28-Feb-13 22:27:26

Sorry but I'm another one who thinks it looks twee and hillbilly and childish to hyphenate names! Also agree that Ella and Rose are both pretty names but soooooo overused that it unfortunately makes them a bit boring. I think of the names that were super popular when I was born and I think of them as boring whereas I guess people of our parents generation thought they were pretty and different.

Masterchuff Thu 28-Feb-13 14:30:53

My DD has a hyphenated first name. Never caused a problem yet. Beautiful name OP

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now