Florence, Maude, Mabel or Iris?

(61 Posts)
emmyloo2 Wed 27-Feb-13 07:31:11

Ok, I have been back and forth on names for girls. This is my latest list. Not endorsed by DH although he has agreed that Florence and Mabel can be on the list. DS is George so I want it to have the same old-fashioned feel as George.

I know old-fashioned, granny names are not to everyone's taste but it is definitely my taste, so I would be grateful for your views on the names above. None are popular where I live. Maude and Mabel would raise eyebrows I suspect but this doesn't bother me in the slightest. Surname starts with "S" and so I think Iris might be tricky and Florence may also not flow as well. If I had my way, I would go with Maude but DH is currently saying no to this one although I am working on him.

Thanks!

FriggFRIGGisPoorlySick Fri 01-Mar-13 20:04:43

Maude
Mable
Iris

In order of preference from your list grin

And....

Alma
Bonnie
Beatrice
Margo
Nancy
Elsie
Sylvie
Ottilie
Ottoline
Coralie
Sadie
Myrtle
Clara
Clementine
Lavinia
Phyllis
Beulah
Emmeline
Vita
Betsy
Nell
Eliza
Etta
Odette
Sukie
Tabitha
Agatha
Norah
Doris
Esther
Audrey
Enid
Agnes
Mildred
Thora
Elsa/Elsie

From my own ridiculously long list...

UnrequitedSkink Fri 01-Mar-13 20:07:52

I love Iris and DS2 would have been one, but for the 'S' surname thing. Maude is lovely too, had you considered Flora rather than Florence? It sounds so nice when you say it.

Also love Elsie.

I have a Florence & a Martha. Florence was nearly a Queenie & Martha was nearly Enid. DH said no to both!

MumOfTheMoos Fri 01-Mar-13 20:28:06

I think Iris is a lovely name!

PixelAteMyFace Fri 01-Mar-13 20:35:06

Another vote here for Clara and Flora.

Sorry, but I think Mabel is dire.

Maude is pretty if you are going to pronounce it the French way.

CheeseStrawWars Fri 01-Mar-13 20:36:47

Maude is too close to maudlin for my tastes.

WormCanner Fri 01-Mar-13 22:35:11

Pixel What, like Depeche Maude?

PixelAteMyFace Sat 02-Mar-13 14:28:02

Yes, more like that.

I`m not keen on Depeche as a first name though grin

SurreyWithAFringeOnTop Sat 02-Mar-13 20:19:37

I have an S surname, and had DS been a DD, I would have used Iris. Don't let that put you off - it is a gorgeous name.

Maude is lovely. Mabel is ok, Florence very overused IMO.

How about Martha? Also gorgeous.

jollygoose Sat 02-Mar-13 20:27:21

really like mabel or florence, not maud it sounds so hard

kaumana Sat 02-Mar-13 20:36:20

Iris would be my choice from your list, but having grown up with "an old lady name" I would think twice before choosing one. I can't count the times I've heard "ooh you don't look like a ......"

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now