Catherine or Katherine

(89 Posts)
OooShiney Mon 25-Feb-13 16:14:43

DD has always been insistent that my bump in fact contains a kitty cat and not DC2, we haven't found out the sex but if it's a girl we've thought about C/Katherine with the nickname Kitty.

DD is Beatrice.

But don't know if we should put Catherine or Katherine on the BC... What d'ya think?

ShadowStorm Mon 15-Apr-13 19:41:32

I like it better with a K.

TomArchersSausage Mon 15-Apr-13 19:06:16

I like Kath*a*rine a lot.

With a C could morph into Cath which sounds old lady.

nemno Mon 15-Apr-13 19:02:42

Katherine

In Pride and Prejudice, Kitty's full name is Catherine with a C.

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Mon 15-Apr-13 07:21:04

I prefer Catherine or how aboutChristine, nn Kitty?

<throws kitty amongst the pigeons>

jackjacksmummy Mon 15-Apr-13 07:09:33

Katherine.

poshfrock Mon 15-Apr-13 07:09:03

So on MNet names spelt with a K are chavvy? How would you spell Kirsty/Kirstie/Kirsten/ Kate/ Katie then ? How ridiculous. And one of my best friends is a Kathryn.

thistlelicker Mon 15-Apr-13 07:00:51

Cathryn ?

OrangeLily Mon 15-Apr-13 06:57:07

I much prefer Katherine.

YoniYoniNameLeft Mon 15-Apr-13 06:50:42

I think I prefer the C way. It flows better when you write it.

The little girls in the film Dream House are called Beatrice and Katherine [useless fact] I think that they go well together. smile

nooka Mon 15-Apr-13 06:29:52

I like Catherine better, and I thought that with a K it was an 'a' in the middle - Katharine? One of those names that you always have to spell clearly!

I don't think that there is any particular need for nicknames to have the same initial as the full name, my family nickname is the second half of my name, and I've never even thought about that being a problem. Plus where the nn is well known it's not really thought about - think Bill, Tony, Ned, Peggy, Nancy, Liz etc etc

sashh Mon 15-Apr-13 06:10:14

What about Kathryn?

No, don't do it, not ever. Also no to Cathryn, Catheryne, Katharinne, Katharinn and any other non standard spelling.

I know Kathryn has been more popular recently but please do not lumber your child with a normal name and a ridiculous spelling.

If you give your child an unusual name then they have to spell it all the time. If you give them a normal name with a made up spelling they spend their time correcting people who have already filled half a form in.

<yes I am bitter about my name, so bitter I changed it by deed poll to the ordinary spelling>

raisah Mon 15-Apr-13 04:27:18

Kathryn.
I know a Catherine known as Cate.

Weegiemum Sun 14-Apr-13 22:43:58

I've a 13 year old Katherine, usually known (by her own choice) as Kathy. Hence I'd go for the K!

KittenOfDoom Sun 14-Apr-13 22:41:18

The Kardashians have spoiled all K names.
"Kathryn" is an abomination though.

ZZZenagain Sun 14-Apr-13 22:40:13

think I prefer the k but like both

thermalsinapril Sun 14-Apr-13 22:38:22

If the nickname's going to be Kitty it would make sense to have Katherine with a K.

LadyLech Sun 14-Apr-13 21:48:51

I have a daughter, Katherine (nn Kitty).

Whilst I much prefered the C spelling, I didn't like the possible initial confusion. I also taught a Catherine / Katy at the time, and she said she found it really annoying too.

So we went with the K spelling.

'Tis a great name, and I think my daughter is either the only Katherine at her school (there may be another, much older girl or she may have already gone up to secondary). But we don't know any other little Katherines.

MoleRat Sun 14-Apr-13 19:20:21

Katharine/ Katherine... don't know why, I just prefer it!

GrumpyKat Tue 26-Feb-13 21:12:28

Katherine, clearly wink

Katherine.... always!

monica77798 Tue 26-Feb-13 15:52:51

I think the spelling with the K is better, Katherine

NervyWervy Tue 26-Feb-13 11:42:39

My middle name is Katherine and Im named after my great auntie kitty!

amck5700 Tue 26-Feb-13 10:14:39

Math - that's why I have a Ciar and not a Keir - the latter being a Scots surname and the former being the original form of Ciaran. This is where I back up my claim that in general I would use a C but Katherine is an exception as I prefer it with a K smile. We thought we were using a Scottish Gaelic spelling but now think it is probably Irish....or could it be both?

Bakingtins Tue 26-Feb-13 09:48:53

Katharine. It's a lovely name, but bear in mind that she will always have to spell it out, because there are so many variants. K/C? arine/erine/ryn?
At least Kitty is easy to spell!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now