Catherine or Katherine

(89 Posts)
OooShiney Mon 25-Feb-13 16:14:43

DD has always been insistent that my bump in fact contains a kitty cat and not DC2, we haven't found out the sex but if it's a girl we've thought about C/Katherine with the nickname Kitty.

DD is Beatrice.

But don't know if we should put Catherine or Katherine on the BC... What d'ya think?

amck5700 Mon 25-Feb-13 20:17:29

The K thing I believe is where a name that normally begins with a C is replaced with a K instead i.e. Kaleb, Konner etc and not that all names beginning with a K are plebby/chavvy/schemey.

Katharine is a perfectly (lovely) legitimate name that happens to begin with a K, not the same thing at all....and not that it actually matters anyway.

amck5700 Mon 25-Feb-13 20:18:29

I, in general tend to prefer the C, however not in this case for some reason, the K is definitely nicer.

StrawberryMojito Mon 25-Feb-13 20:20:57

Katherine.

Catherine just seems more plain.

Geranium3 Mon 25-Feb-13 20:21:06

love catherine.........
but hate katherine!
No idea why!

Still18atheart Mon 25-Feb-13 20:27:02

Catherine imo

FatJasper Mon 25-Feb-13 20:28:45

I prefer Catherine.

Love Catherine and came to say it's traditional, innit.

But I see Get and LRD have friffing spoiled that for me. Feckers.

[chagrin]

horatia - fair enough, I stand corrected. What do they come from?

Oops, sorry chaos. blush

But turns out we're wrong anyway, so feel free to come back and call us pig-ignorant plebs, won't you? wink

GetOrf Mon 25-Feb-13 20:40:35

Lol at chagrin.

But like LrD says we are all to cock re katharos anyway.

Unless horatia is wrong and she is just tricking us...

<Twilight zone music>

I bet she's going to cop out and tell us it's via Old Saxon or summat, getorf. hmm

<gets excuse in early>

CBuzz Mon 25-Feb-13 20:45:18

With a C - its the only way!

QueenOfCats Mon 25-Feb-13 20:45:19

Prettier spelled with a K smile

ErikNorseman Mon 25-Feb-13 20:53:13

Katherine smile the 'ar' spelling is much less common and when you have a name with so many variants it's easier to go with the more common one. Never ever Kathryn. Vom.

Sashapineapple Mon 25-Feb-13 21:44:19

Catherine or Kathryn.

IIRC it is one of those "dunno" ones, neatly back formed to a word with a pleasant meaning. Certainly my dictionary has it as an "etymology unknown; some suggest..." which is a big fat hedge.

Sorry to disappoint.

Part of my own skepticism re K- variants in English comes from looking at variants in other languages - Slavic and Celtic languages use K (because they don't use C for that sound) and Romance languages use C (because they do) so adherence to K- on etymological grounds is a bit ... unnecessary.

And even if we are all ultimately using Catherine/Katherine from Greek-for-pure then we are doing so linguistically a long way from the original.

That said, Katharine of Aragon was anglicised from Spanish Catalina (as in contemporary materials with H and K interwoven) although that may have been a contemporary fashion as Kitty Howard was also a K-.

NaicePig Mon 25-Feb-13 22:00:49

But but

Kathryn is so pretty. Agree Catherine is somehow more plain.

Thanks horatia.

It's such a pretty name, anyway. One of my favourites.

GrandPoohBah Mon 25-Feb-13 22:14:11

Cathryn?

That's how my middle name is spelled... grin

nickelbabe Mon 25-Feb-13 22:14:30

chaos
I would like to draw your attention to my post - I said Katherine.
I thought you luffed me sad

Yes, high on my list too.

spelt properly with a C and with K nicknames muahahahahaha

Katherine seems stronger to me than Catherine. I would look at the nick names you might use and go for Katherine for Kitty or Catherine for Cathy.

mrsyattering Mon 25-Feb-13 22:21:00

how about Katharine, like me wink

Passmethecrisps Mon 25-Feb-13 22:21:55

Hmm. OP I think you might be me. In the future.

In which case I would go for either Catherine or Kathryn. Kitty is gorgeous and I can imagine having it for a potential DD2 at any cost

serin Mon 25-Feb-13 22:28:20

Catherine, I just don't like the spikeyness of a 'K'

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now