Children named after literary characters

(124 Posts)
HoneyandRum Sat 23-Feb-13 09:40:31

My friends eldest son age 8 is called Thorin after Thorin Oakenshield the head dwarf in The Hobbit.

ScumbagCollegeDropout Sun 24-Feb-13 06:04:27

noisytoys DD2 was very nearly Chihiro smile

Her middle name is Violet named after Lemony Snickett.

ScumbagCollegeDropout Sun 24-Feb-13 06:07:36

Urgh ignore that extra 't' hmm

CheerfulYank Sun 24-Feb-13 06:20:31

Sanity I love Eight Cousins! I haven't thought of that book in ages.

No literary references here, but I would like some! I'm having a DD in May and should think of one for her middle name. I really like Jo March...Anne Shirley...Elizabeth Bennet...and one undersung one, I feel, is Jane from Jane of Lantern Hill. Anyone else love her?

Also some recent favorites are Catherine (as in Called Birdy smile ) and Alys from the Midwife's Apprentice.

WickWackThurso Sun 24-Feb-13 06:33:11

Lynette - what's the name/book?

My dds have first names we just like, and family middle names. I always loved Hepzibah from Carrie's War, and Kizzy from The Diddakoi - but dh said no!

flubba Sun 24-Feb-13 06:36:58

I wanted 'Elfin' from Cold Comfort Farm. DH saw sense smile

fruitypie Sun 24-Feb-13 09:53:37

We're having a girl but if we were having a boy I was prepared to fight tooth and nail with DH for the name Holden as in Holden Caulfield from Catcher in the Rye......my most favourite name (and book) of all time smile

juniper9 Sun 24-Feb-13 15:39:02

My DP wants Atticus. If it's a boy, I might relent and use it as a middle name, but there's no way I'm calling for an Atticus across the playground.

Phineyj Sun 24-Feb-13 15:45:23

Bernice Bobs Her Hair is a wonderful story, but you might regret it when DD is old enough to read it and decides to take similar revenge on anyone she doesn't like!

FaceLikeAPickledOnion Sun 24-Feb-13 17:26:53

Ds2's middle name is Morrie, named in memory of Morrie Shwartz, From (my favourite book of all time) Tuesdays with Morrie.

Ilovecheeseandlovinglife Sun 24-Feb-13 17:58:13

I have a Fern from Charlottes web smile x

I am named after a LOTR character and all my dds have Shakespearean names.

I have an Anne from Green Gables smile. Family name, so that is why I didn't go for Cordelia.

TeamEdward Sun 24-Feb-13 18:11:38

I wanted to call DS1 Diggory from C.S Lewis's The Magician's Nephew. DH vetoed it, and again for DS2. I love it!

Purplecatti Sun 24-Feb-13 19:22:48

DD is named after Mr darcy's sister. I love that book

SneezySnatcher Sun 24-Feb-13 19:34:14

TeamEdward I really want Diggory for this baby. I love it so much. I have six weeks to convince DH.

BikeRunSki Sun 24-Feb-13 19:50:39

I am Alice after Alice in Wonderland. My father collected everything he could by and about Lewis Carols and was bordering on the obsessive ecxentric. He had a few boys before he got me, although none is called Lewis or Charles (LC real name was Charles Dodgson).

Cornwall73 Tue 26-Feb-13 03:23:29

I am a big Anne of Green Gables fan and would love to name our twins after characters in the book: current favourites are Gilbert, Walter, Marilla and Anne but DH is likely to veto all of them!

TeamEdward Tue 26-Feb-13 08:38:52

I'm badgering DH for dc3. I doubt I'll get a baby, let alone Diggory!

Sephy Tue 26-Feb-13 08:59:40

Dig gory is beautiful.

My favourite ever books are Chalet School. Not sure I could persuade DH for Josephine though... Loving Anne though, or a Rilla.

This is a very good thread for me, currently completely out of good ideas for DC1.

Sephy Tue 26-Feb-13 09:01:07

Stupid IPhone

Kveta Tue 26-Feb-13 09:10:54

I'm named after my mum's favourite author (who wrote Lark Rise to Candleford). A friend has a DS called Atticus.

Both my DC have names of characters in books I've read and liked, but that wasn't why I chose their names IYSWIM - just coincidence.

bebejones Tue 26-Feb-13 09:12:47

I am named after a character in the book my mum was reading when I was born!

If I ever had another girl I would love to call her Arya (Game of Thrones), and I think DH could be swayed on that one! I also like Heloise, but he would definitely say no to that!

Blipbipbeep Tue 26-Feb-13 09:17:07

I have Jude the Obscure

I believe that my name came from Hardy too but I don't know which book

TheBookofRuth Tue 26-Feb-13 09:17:13

I would love Atticus if I had a boy juniper but my DH has vetoed it, so if we do ever have a son he'll probably be Sam - which I can live with because I'm a big fan of Terry Pratchett's Discworld and Sir Samuel Vimes in particular.

If we have another girl she'll probably get Alice, but tbh I would prefer Sylvie, from a lesser known Lewis Carroll book (Sylvie and Bruno), or Hester from an L.M Montgomery story. DH prefers more classic names though - hence Alice and Sam.

DD has a biblical name - two, actually - so I guess that's sort of literary!

MmeGuillotine Tue 26-Feb-13 09:17:46

My eldest son is Felix Gideon after my two favourite male characters from Georgette Heyer novels and my second son is Oscar Sebastian after Oscar Wilde and Lord Sebastian Flyte from Brideshead Revisited. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now