Name with meaning - but not sure what!?

(12 Posts)
Dysgu Tue 19-Feb-13 19:19:52

DC3 is going to put in an appearance in the next 6-7 weeks and we have got no nearer in deciding anything that even resembles a shortlist of names.

Along with my other rules, I have now come to think that this baby needs a name with a meaning...DD1 is named after the Italian city where DP and I had just got engaged and DD2 is named for the angel who appeared around the same time she did! As for middle names, DD1 has a name that DP chose because he likes it and DD2 is Eve as she came on Christmas Eve.

I have spent a lot of time thinking about names this time around:
- not beginning with L as surname is 2 syllables starting with L and I don't want an alliterative name
- not starting with T, N, F or G as those are initials within our family already
- ideally first and middle name will have a total of 5 syllables (to match DD1 and DD2)
- NN possibilities (we generally shorten DD1 but DD2 tends to go by full name)
- not too popular (I am a teacher and ideally would want to plan to avoid DC being known by firstname-surname throughout school)

I am Welsh and DP has Swiss/Italian heritage. We live in England.

Names we have discussed but do not yet think we have found 'the one' include:
- Celestine
- Persephone
- Genevieve (love it but starts with G)
- Guinevere (love it but starts with G)
- Francesca (love it but starts with F)
- Seren
- Cordelia
- Evangeline (but would be shortened to DD2's middle name)
- Molly (suggested by DD2 as she names all her toys this)
- Jess (suggested by DD2 - could be Jessica or Jessamy)
- Pixie (suggested by DD1)

- Hugh/Huw/Hugo
- Evan (grandad's name)
- Nelson (family name)
- Erik/Eric (suggested by DD1)
- Harry/Jack (suggested by DD2)

Very few of these have 'special meanings' in the same way as DD1 and DD2. Not sure it matters but is something to consider.

Open to suggestions in the hope that something jumps out...

farmersdaughter Tue 19-Feb-13 19:21:03

Right....good lord. Off to have a think!

farmersdaughter Tue 19-Feb-13 19:27:16

Okay...

Hugh Evan

Or

Clementine Jemima

Any good?

foolserrand Tue 19-Feb-13 19:48:15

I love Seren! It's dd's middle name and was going to suggest it. It has different meanings in different cultures from memory.

Ewan is great. Do you like Aled?

Dysgu Tue 19-Feb-13 20:00:05

farmersdaughter Hugh Evan is nice - will discuss that with DP. Clementine is also a name I like but DP only thinks of a small orange hmm and Jemima is a name I like (and also Jem for a boy but can't use Jeremy or Jerome as full names) but CM's cat is called Jemima!

foolserrand I have always loved the name Seren (also like Serendipity but sounds a bit 'big' for a baby!) and would take is to mean star. I like the name Estella too but it does not go with surname.

Not sure on Ewan instead of Evan. And I do like Aled but have a cousin called Aled so can't really use it. We see/speak to them a lot.

farmersdaughter Tue 19-Feb-13 21:12:32

Okay...swap Clementine for Clemency?

Josephine? nn Jo, Josie, Fifi and Posy. Posy I think is very sweet.

Aurelia with mn Seren?

Paloma?

Valentina?

Boys - mmm sorry I'm stuck! {helpful}

amck5700 Tue 19-Feb-13 23:06:17

Due about Easter time so could maybe have Esther as a middle name?

How about a Goddess associated with creation, it being the beginning of spring?

Maybe Lillith or Rhiannon?

amck5700 Tue 19-Feb-13 23:16:42

For boys Michael Edgar or you could use March as a middle name - think that is supposed to be Welsh?

from a web site, these are supposed to be names traditionally used for Easter born boys:
Abraham
Alexander
Benjamin
Caleb
Elijah
Gabriel
Isaiah
Titus

Alexander March
Benjamin March

Dysgu Wed 20-Feb-13 18:48:33

Interesting idea to use March as a middle name - DD1 has suggested using April as a middle name if we have another girl (DD is actually 24th April but DDs came at 32 and 35 weeks and I will be induced around 37 due to gestational diabetes if it hasn't arrived by then.)

Other names - thanks for suggestions - I like:
Alexander (I like Xander and Sacha as nn but actually prefer it when nn starts with same initial letter as real name!)
Abraham - with nn Abe (but maybe a bit too religious which is odd as DD2 has Biblical names
Gabriel (but is male version of DD2's name - I sometimes wish I had 'saved' it but we were going to stop at 2DC!)
Rhiannon is lovely - I have considered it before but not sure it 'goes' with DD1 and DD2 names.
Aurelia is lovely - I REALLY like it but it would probably get shortened to something like 'Aurie' and that sounds very like the short version of DD1's name!

There are other names here I quite like but .... I am hard to please!

toffeelolly Wed 20-Feb-13 18:56:16

love carys and pixie is cute . Jude wink

Dysgu Wed 20-Feb-13 19:04:06

I like Carys but DNiece is Cerys - which also means we cannot use Ceri which I also love.

I do quite like Pixie but not sure we could 'do' it!

Jude is nice - I wonder where it is on the popularity lists as we have lots in school at the moment (aged 4-11 years)

Dysgu Wed 03-Apr-13 18:00:00

In response to a thread asking people to come back and announce what they chose...

DS arrived 6 weeks early on 14th March and we named him Evan David Nelson 'Surname'

This is a name with meaning as:
Evan = my DM's dad's name
David = DP's dad's name
Nelson = my dad's surname

Thanks for everyone who gave suggestions.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now