Effie?

(29 Posts)
Sarah2506 Tue 19-Feb-13 18:55:02

We love the name Effie but I'm not convinced it could stand alone as a name in its own right. We are tempted to either call her Elizabeth officially, and then always use Effie, but we only think we can do that because that was the name of the girl in Skins! She was Effie short for Elizabeth. It's more traditionally short for Euphemia. Which we don't like! I think Effie is an adorable baby name but not so much an adults name, so we def think we need to give her a long version. What do you think? Any Effies or parents of Effies out there?

SuedeEffectPochette Sun 24-Mar-13 21:17:37

Nooo What about Effie Norah? What if she marries someone with a name beginning with N? It won't sound good.

ToomuchWaternotWine Sun 24-Mar-13 21:22:39

Friend has had a couple of generations of Labradors named "Effie" as they take great delight in saying things like "eff, off!! (The sofa) so I just couldn't use it for a child as I would always be thinking like that. Cute for a baby but I imagine could make the playground years quite hard for her ...

mewkins Sun 24-Mar-13 22:17:28

I have known a couple - both Greek and short for Efrionsini (not sure of spelling). I think it's a popular name in Greece.

TheGirlOnTheLanding Sun 24-Mar-13 22:23:57

I like Effie but Euphemia is a bit if a mouthful definitely. Like Essie too (think that was a George Eliot character but not sure what it's short for).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now