Emmanuel??

(36 Posts)
sw11mumofone Sun 17-Feb-13 17:25:05

I have posted on here before but am still trying to find an alternative to Samuel or Oscar as am concerned about their popularity.
So what does everyone think about Emmanuel? I've toyed with Fabian and Xavier but have gone off them. I love Laurence but DH doesn't.
So should I just stick with Samuel or Oscar and resign myself to potential DS being one of five in his class??
I've been going round in circles for months but keep thinking about comments like "don't forget why you name a child - to identify them - so why would you give them a name that hundreds of others kids will have"
HELP!!!

Howgreenismyvalley Mon 18-Feb-13 12:40:49

What about Rafael? I knew a Raffi at college and taught a very cool Rafael once many years ago

sw11mumofone Mon 18-Feb-13 20:56:50

We have a Rafferty in our immediate family so Rafael is out unfortunately. Lovely name though.
Looking like Samuel is still at the top. The popularity doesnt bother my DH at all. He thinks we should go for a name we both love.

CheeseStrawWars Tue 19-Feb-13 09:14:29

Benedict? Lysander?

tigrou Tue 19-Feb-13 09:22:15

I do like Emmanuel, and don't find it girl or overly religious - not more than any standard classic old testament name.
Also like Reuben and Gabriel (much more than Oscar and Samuel).
If you like Fabian and Xavier, how about Felicien, Lucien, Xander?

Bue Tue 19-Feb-13 14:31:43

Ah, I'm sad you've taken Emmanuel off the list. O Come Emmanuel is my favourite carol! Plus I had a massive crush in high school on a half Italian boy whose middle name was this, as well as a massive crush in my 20s on a French Manu. (They were both HOT! And I never got to snog either sad ) Would disagree that it is predominantly a Jewish name, although it is used a lot by Jews (or at least it used to be). I'd say it's quite pan-European.

Bue Tue 19-Feb-13 14:44:57

Oh, and I think Gabriel is a great alternative. (I also had a mahoosive crush on one of them grin) I've known a few and have never been aware of any teasing. Usually they get called Gabe.

What about Nathaniel or Joel?

ComposHat Tue 19-Feb-13 14:48:30

O Come O Come Emmanuel is my favourite Carol too, however the name also makes me think of G-g-g-gladys Emmanuel from 'Open all hours'

G-g-g-granville f-ff-f-ff-f-fetch a cloth.

rtc8608 Tue 19-Feb-13 14:52:52

I knew an Emmanuel who was known as Manny. I'm not that keen on it - reminds me of the Manny from the Ice Age films...

I prefer Oscar and Samuel on your list. I don't think you need to worry about them being too popular as they aren't up there in the top 10. I know kids with the names that were in the top 10 when they were born who have only one or two other children with the same name in their class.

I also know a Laurence that goes by Laurie if that makes the name any more bearable for your DH. Not sure that this would suit an adult though.

ComposHat Tue 19-Feb-13 15:23:07

Laurie or Lawrence I quite like,

Laurie Lee the author and Laurie Taylor the academic/broadcaster are both (or were in the case of the former) adult Lauries.

Lawrence is the name of the singer in one of my favourite bands so I think I am predisposed to liking it.

sw11mumofone Tue 19-Feb-13 20:58:30

Cheesestraw - we have a Benjamin in the family so Benedict is a no-go. And not sure I like Lysander

Bue - your posts made me laugh!!

I love Laurence and really love Laurie as a nn but DH doesn't like either! :-(

zingally Wed 20-Feb-13 17:49:01

I recently taught a 5 year old Emmanuel. Family were very religious, hence the churchy name, they told me.

Nice kid though, and one of the most boyish boys you could ever wish to meet. Not feminine at all to me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now