We really love the name Baxter

(67 Posts)
Mawgatron Sun 17-Feb-13 10:22:02

But have stupidly told people who keep trying to convince us otherwise.
We said we loved it before we were even trying for a baby (watched the Ian drury film and when we heard he had named his son that we both thought it was a brilliant and unusual name), and now we are 5 months pregnant we are starting to doubt ourselves. Everyone keeps saying 'its a dogs name' or 'that's a soup'.
But we still love it! Should we stick to our guns or cave to pressure?
He would be Baxter Sturge if that helps your judgement in any way?

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Tue 19-Feb-13 21:29:28

Not got a problem with it myself, if you love it keep it, people always have an opinion whatever you choose.

ZolaBuddleia Tue 19-Feb-13 19:44:59

Good point, onlymeee!

I get 'bastard urge' when I say Baxter Sturge. OP, could you marry someone with an easier surname? grin

TobyLerone Tue 19-Feb-13 15:09:49

Baxter is the dog in Anchorman who gets punted over a bridge by Jack Black.

Awful name, IMO.

onlymeee Tue 19-Feb-13 15:04:17

Rudy Sturge.

Rudest Urge.

No.

ComposHat Tue 19-Feb-13 15:01:13

Baxster Sturge.

Say it to yourself a few times

SterSturge bit sounds absurd.

Walter Sturge sounds much better.

Rhubarbgarden Tue 19-Feb-13 14:03:11

Rudy Sturge has a ring to it.

Baxter Sturge - no no no.

BelleEtLaBaby Tue 19-Feb-13 12:09:38

I'm going to go against the grain here and say I love Baxter! I'd chuck a neat little middle name in, like James or something. If he hates it he can use that in future and it would break up the ster-stur thing (which isn't that awful). I can just imagine a Baxter as a teen or an adult, definitely.

Soup related nicknames? Really? If that's the worst you can come up with, he'll be fine smile

Although Barnaby is also lovely smile

onlymeee Mon 18-Feb-13 17:57:55

The point is that the bank doesn't know your mmn, and you don't have to use the true one. It's an outdated password system which was fine in pre-internet days, as very few people would have known your mmn. Nowadays this info is readily available online. Unlike, for instance, the name of your first pet, or your first car.

MidnightMasquerader Mon 18-Feb-13 17:44:44

My brother's name is Mum's maiden surname. He's managed to successfully circumnavigate banks' security questions by simply using ... another security question. wink

onlymeee Mon 18-Feb-13 15:05:09

You shouldn't use your real mmn as a security answer. It's very easy for anyone to find that out, so you should use a different name (making sure you will remember it!).

AmberLav Mon 18-Feb-13 13:47:44

Baxter is my maiden name, and I think it would make a lovely first name, and would be a good way to keep the name in the family (only have sisters) but DH has vetoed it, and I can see the point with us, as it would mess up young Baxter's bank security question!

It's reasonably well used as a first name in America... Oh and I didn't get called soup much as a child!

GoatsHaveStrangeEyes Mon 18-Feb-13 12:16:37

I think its dutch. Certainly the one I know has family in Holland.

PandaWatch Mon 18-Feb-13 12:12:39

Surely Daxter is a made up name?

GoatsHaveStrangeEyes Mon 18-Feb-13 10:53:27

What about Daxter? I know of one of those. Not as dog like.

ProphetOfDoom Mon 18-Feb-13 10:40:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ZolaBuddleia Mon 18-Feb-13 10:36:32

Bertrand?

(Trying to think of old man names that go with Sturge!)

AltogetherAndrews Mon 18-Feb-13 10:27:31

The name is fine, but doesn't go with your surname. Of the others you mention, Edwin is nice, but Edwin Sturge sounds like a book by Dickens. I would go with Walter, it is the best fit with the surname.

LeeCoakley Mon 18-Feb-13 10:06:50

st-st a complete no-no. You have others on your list that are so much better! I can't say it properly without stumbling (!) so imagine if your child had a slight lisp? shock

ZolaBuddleia Mon 18-Feb-13 10:04:59

Now you're talking! Barnaby goes well, both in full and as Barney, and I LOVE Rudy.

Walter goes much better as it's not 'ster', although I'm not mad keen on it.

Solomon?
Judah?
Leo?
Ben?
Eben?

Loz1980 Mon 18-Feb-13 09:50:20

I think Baxter is a gorgeous name! Not convinced it goes with your surname but then I had same problem with DS2's name. In the end I went with it because I love it but we used a longer version of name on his birth certificate which does sound better. Pity there's not a longer version of Baxter. But you could hyphenate it.

Rudy, Edwin Bruno & Jacob go with your surname

I loath Barnaby with a vengeance, but that's personal taste as is my dislike of Walter. Sidney and Kitson don't sound right with your surname to me.

FoxyRevenger Mon 18-Feb-13 08:06:11

But Baxter is the best of that list by far!

I actually really like it. We have an Innes which has the same surname-y vibe, and I can tell people don't LOVE it the way they do his sister's name (more conventional) but I honestly don't care one bit. You don't once they're born, it just becomes who they are.

Go for it!

INeedALieIn Mon 18-Feb-13 08:02:11

I love it.

I also love Barlow

I love Rudy. How about Rex Sturge?

RobinSparkles Mon 18-Feb-13 07:50:22

I don't think Bruno goes with Sturge. It sounds a bit like "brew not stirred" to me.

I like Jacob from your list.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now