What name do you secretly like but would never name a child it?

(104 Posts)
skratta Sat 16-Feb-13 11:19:33

I like Raven. For a boy- not even for a girl. blush

And Wolf. I don't think I could name a child that, but I love the nn Wolfie!

Thor. Don't think it'd work out in real life.

Aphrodite. Again, love the name blush

Rune. I just love the name for a boy!

Btw, I wouldn't EVER name my child Raven (for a boy), Wolf, Thor, Aphorodite or Rune. But I still love them.

Does anyone else have any guilty pleasure names?

PuppyMouse Sat 02-Mar-13 20:12:50

I'm new to Mumsnet but I had to comment. I used to go to uni with a Lysander and have had a secret thing for the name ever since. I hope it wasn't viable just because he was Swiss and really wealthy blush

ErrorError Sat 02-Mar-13 01:46:07

Oh I really like Sylvia! Makes me think of the pretty young mum from Three Men and a Baby, not old ladyish at all IMO. I had a great Auntie Nancy and think it's oddly cute for a small girl, but there's not-so-nice connotations with the term 'Nancy' so I just couldn't do it.

OddFrog Fri 01-Mar-13 22:50:48

skratta I'm pleased that Gladys is being used. Our DD is Sylvia, which I think of in the same name group. DH vetoed all my others as too old lady. Now I can tell him he was wrong! grin

meddie Wed 27-Feb-13 23:29:14

I loved Tilda (swedish pronunciation teel-da)
But my son was already called Ben and it would just have looked like I had an unhealthy obsession with rice brands

manicinsomniac Wed 27-Feb-13 20:25:59

So, so many. I am obsessed by names (this is still my favourite forum and my youngest child is 5!)

Names I love but would never use are grouped into 4 quite different 'trends' I think.

Posh/Frilly:
Araminta, Adrielle, Anastasia, Benedict, Bartholemew, Cassius, Christabel, Cordelia, Elisaveta, Ferdinand, Genevieve, Georgiana, Giselle, Henrietta, Hermione, Isadora, Julianna, Jocasta, Julius, Josephina, Katerina, Leonardo, Marianna, Montgomery, Mortimer, Ophelia, Octavia, Orlando, Persephone, Seraphina, Sebastian, Veronica, Zephaniah, Zipporah.

American:
Austin, Ashton, Avery, Addison, Adelyn, Aubrey, Brooke, Brooklyn, Briley, Brynn, Brogan, Cassidy, Camryn, Carter, Cole, Cody, Dakota, Delaney, Emery, Emerson, Ellis, Eden, Fitch, Genesis, Harris, Harrison, Harper, Hadley, Hayden, Harley, Jordan, Jayla, Jada, Kayla, Kyla, Kyra, Kaelyn, Logan, Macey, Mallory, Morgan, Mason, Mitchell, Madison, Mackenzie, Makenna, Nia, Peyton, Payson, Piper, Preston, Parker, Riley, Sutton, Sabrina, Shawna, Spencer, Sydney, Tegan, Trent, Talon

Nature/'Out there':
Arwen, Star, River, Phoenix, Meadow, Winter, Skye, Serenity, Blaze, January, Electra, Blue, Rainbow, Eriskay

Trendy (or once trendy):
Hayley, Kaylie, Callie, Casey, Tyler, Kayden

MsAkimbo Wed 27-Feb-13 18:09:54

Chloe for a girl- I love it but we know several cats anddogs named Chloe.

Damien-I love it, Dh hates it.

curryeater Wed 27-Feb-13 15:14:34

Valentine
Cornelius
Eugene

We have no dss.

Brugmansia Wed 27-Feb-13 15:14:14

I have an Inigo. So far we've had quite a lot of complements in RL on his name (though lots of queries on how it's pronounced, where it's from and what it means).

AyeOopMoose Wed 27-Feb-13 15:11:41

Lettice for a girl. DH laughed and said why not carrot?!

Wolfie for a boy.

To be fair had DDs been DSs then I think Wolfie would have been used!

skratta Wed 27-Feb-13 14:26:20

Aargh, BUNTY not Bounty.

skratta Wed 27-Feb-13 14:25:50

How does Sebastian sound like that? It's my DS' name! (We obviously have good taste grin) His nickname is Tian. I love the name!

I know five girls called that (very popular here, we are in the US btw) but three spell it Dillon?

Bounty is the name of my great grandmother's cat! Although its quite cute!

Dinosaurdrip Tue 26-Feb-13 23:35:15

2 of my children's names are on here Rowan (boy) and Dylan (girl) and there was a similar thread a few months ago where about 5 people said they loved my other child's name (Sebastian) but they could never use it as it sounded like a gay hairdressers name.

Branleuse Tue 26-Feb-13 16:53:16

bunty

skratta Tue 26-Feb-13 16:51:25

The meaning for ALEXANDRA. If I didn't make that clear.

skratta Tue 26-Feb-13 16:50:59

Anastasia is a beautiful name, GiannaK!

I agree, the meaning is a bit unfortunate. We had something similar, with Swedish to English.

skratta Tue 26-Feb-13 16:48:54

Ooh, my niece is called Gladys, and my grandmother! Unconnected though, niece is from DH's side. Also know a baby Gladys. Might be coming back slightly, as, like I said one is a baby, and my niece is a toddler?

I like Alethia a lot! And Inigo is such a great name!

It reminded me of Indigo. For a boy. Indy/Indie for a nickname!

Misfit13 Tue 26-Feb-13 10:58:37

Elvis. I very nearly did, but compromised as his dad really really really hated the idea. Wish I had tho.

GiannaK Tue 26-Feb-13 10:44:54

Ah it is most likely that DD will be Anastasia (love the name plus family connections) so I am ardently staying away from 50 shades.

There are some names I love which would pass in Greece, where DH is from, but would go down like a ton of bricks here.
E.g Lamprini / Labrini - sounds light and shiny and airy in Greek but sounds like cheap booze and labia here (according to brutally honest friend) gross.
Also love Afrodite - again awful in English, especially with that spelling. Oh well.

Pitfalls beset us in reverse translation too. I love the name Alexandra. Though it is quite popular and passes without question in Greek, everyone there knows that the literal meaning is 'repeller of men' which is a bit unfortunate.

CheeseStrawCraving Tue 26-Feb-13 01:37:28

Dizzyhoneybee you are right, it is pronounced the 'knee' way not the 'phone' way!

OddFrog Mon 25-Feb-13 18:31:22

I've always loved Gladys. I knew a wonderful lady with this name, but she was ancient. Never met a young Gladys, but with Cerys / Carys etc. becoming more popular, you never know! Still couldn't do it.

ErrorError Mon 25-Feb-13 18:26:42

Girls:
Sherry (too obvious as it's my fave drink!)
Coralie (not a French bone in my body, sounds wonderful in a French accent)
Marina (yes, from 'Stingray'!)
Bonita (not a Spanish bone in my body)
Lilu (Love it but not sure why I couldn't use it, just too 'cartoon character-ish' maybe, but I know a real life Lilu and think it's gorgeous!)

Boys:
Finch (too cruel? bird jokes?)
Inigo (lifetime of mispronunciation and Princess Bride jokes!)
Theo (pronounced 'tay-o' the German way. Not a German bone in my body!)
Rivers (after Rivers Cuomo from Weezer, not Joan! Would that be copying!?)
Immanuel (but shortened to Manny makes me think of the villain Manny Rat from 'The Mouse and His Child'.)

As you can see, I quite like foreign names, but would feel too much of a fraud if I used one!

stickygingerbread Sun 24-Feb-13 17:40:43

oooh I am really liking Araminta and Digby.

mine:
Erasmus
Theophilus
Archer

Theophania
Parvati
Hypatia
Alethia
Io

But irl my kids have very regular serviceable names. My dh had a very unusual name and legally changed it.

IAmLouisWalsh Sun 24-Feb-13 16:00:34

Rafferty sounds stupid with our surname. And is too close to the name of our old dog, sadly.

Rudy is ace

xigris Sun 24-Feb-13 13:41:54

I like Topaz for a girl and WOULD use it except that DH thinks it's dreadful and in any case we have 3 boys!

skratta Sun 24-Feb-13 13:31:34

I love Rafferty! And Ariadne and Rudy and January!

I also like Alabaster for a boy, Fint for a boy and Sola for a girl

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now